Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Most dangerous/exciting/difficult US airports?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most dangerous/exciting/difficult US airports?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2008, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Question Most dangerous/exciting/difficult US airports?

Not counting the smallest airports, there is for example INN in Austria which is difficult for pilots and require special training. Which airports would be similar in the US?

I know there is LGA for example with short runways, as with SNA (which also features a steep climb) and BUR. SAN has a parking garage that will have some travellers on their toes when flying there. I've heard someone mention BHM though I don't know why that one should be added to the list.

What other airports are there?
Old Apr 6, 2008, 1:46 pm

ASE (Aspen, CO)
Old Apr 6, 2008, 3:09 pm

Programs: ANA Diamond, UA 1K, AA EXP, Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
What about Washington National? Turning approach.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 5:22 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

What about MDW? I've never flown out of LGB but I've heard it also has a steep climb.

I am not a pilot so my knowledge is limited.

Last edited by BNA_flyer; Apr 6, 2008 at 5:26 pm
Old Apr 6, 2008, 5:36 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Juneau...... you miss the turn you hit the mountain.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 6:26 pm

I heard from a friend that Colorado Springs was usually a white knuckle adventure.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 6:40 pm

OK, sorry not a US airport, but relevant...
OK, shorty history lesson here. After WWII, and West Berlin was starving d/t the Red Army blockades, the Allies started the Berlin Air Drop. They took off and landed from Tempelhof. I think it was because of the height of the surrounding buildings and the Red Army all over the outskirts.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by happymom2008
OK, sorry not a US airport, but relevant...
OK, shorty history lesson here. After WWII, and West Berlin was starving d/t the Red Army blockades, the Allies started the Berlin Air Drop. They took off and landed from Tempelhof. I think it was because of the height of the surrounding buildings and the Red Army all over the outskirts.
Good one.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 9:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Drifting off-thread even further ...

Another non-US airport renowned for its difficult approach is the now-mothballed Kai Tak (Hong Kong). Check out airliners.net or jetphotos.net for a wealth of pictorial documentation on the matter.

ETA: Here are a few of my faves:

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=11253
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=48980
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=163466
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=48640

Last edited by essxjay; Apr 6, 2008 at 10:09 pm
Old Apr 7, 2008, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
As for exciting perhaps SFO with the close parallell approach would be a candidate?
Old Apr 7, 2008, 6:42 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
RKV, although not in the US, is another one that requires additional certification.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 10:38 am

Programs: Elite in Every Way
I was always thrilled going in and out of Dutch Harbor, Alaska. In over the ocean, out over the ocean, short runway, lovely weather.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 10:52 am

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
Dangerous/exciting/difficult.....I thought this thread was going to be about the crowds and/or crime.

I'll go with MIA.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Taker Park
I heard from a friend that Colorado Springs was usually a white knuckle adventure.
I have to admit, that one kinda surprises me (although I'm not a pilot, so it's a laypersons opinion). Other than something like being notorious for wind shear like Stapleton seemed to be, I wouldn't think there's much there to cause an issue. (However, my memory is a bit fuzzy, but I used to live pretty close to the approach path for this airport.)
Old Apr 7, 2008, 1:41 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, United 1K
I asked a similar question to a veteran pilot and he said the trickiest airport he was familiar with was Scranton/Wilkes Barre (AVP) since it's very mountainous and has a steep drop off at the end of the runway. I've never flown there, but I've seen the impressive landing lights from the highway.

I've also heard complaints about the former Cleveland and Toronto airports (in the lake).

Last edited by pedxing; Apr 7, 2008 at 1:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.