Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Why are PC-Card bluetooth adapters so much more expensive than USB ones?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2008, 5:58 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

I like the PC-Card form factor better, but they range from $20-60 on eBay, while the USB dongles are $2 to $20.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No demand for them and more expensive to make. But mostly no demand.

You could always get one of these:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11866

Nice and small...
Old Apr 3, 2008, 6:59 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Leave it to me to want something for which there is no demand

Nice find on the adapter. Ordered. And no silliness about shipping costs to here.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Leave it to me to want something for which there is no demand

Nice find on the adapter. Ordered. And no silliness about shipping costs to here.
Just be prepared to wait 2-3 weeks to get it. Dealextreme is cheap, but their shipping is a "tad slow"

I order crap from them twice a month, so every 2 weeks I've got something cool in the mail from them
Old May 14, 2008, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScottC
Just be prepared to wait 2-3 weeks to get it. Dealextreme is cheap, but their shipping is a "tad slow"
Ordered April 3. Arrived today.
Old May 14, 2008, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Ordered April 3. Arrived today.
You actually waited this long? I'd probably have pulled my hair out and issued a chargeback already
Old May 14, 2008, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Steph3n
You actually waited this long? I'd probably have pulled my hair out and issued a chargeback already
With Dealextreme it's common for it to take this long. When I order stuff I do so expecting delivery times of a month or more
Old May 14, 2008, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steph3n
Nah. ScottC has never steered me wrong on good geek stuff at the best price.
Old May 15, 2008, 1:06 am

Programs: UA 2MM
I like the PC-Card form factor better, but they range from $20-60 on eBay, while the USB dongles are $2 to $20.
One of the reason is the number of pins in the connector. PCCard has 68 pins, CF has 50+ pins, SD has 9 pins and USB has only 4-6 pins. Original concept to make DRAM cheap was to reduce pin count by using the so called multiplexed address bus. Future memory may use serial address and data buses to reduce cost. The I2C chip to hold ID in many gadgets has only 8 pins and very cheap.

Since Bluetooth transmission is serial already, it doesn't lose performance by using a serial bus. I bought a CF card recently and it is rated for 35MB read and 12MB write while typical SD is 6MB read and write. So this CF flash card utilize the CF standard's parallel feature to gain some speed. Most CF flash cards are slightly more expensive than comparable SD cards.
Old May 15, 2008, 12:39 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by SJUAMMF
One of the reason is the number of pins in the connector.
And also 'cause the PC-Card versions tend to have an OHCI USB adaptor to couple the BT part, which is usually- wait for it- USB internally.

Future memory may use serial address and data buses to reduce cost.
Not if they want decent performance, they won't. It's far harder to get reliability at the speeds necessary to mux 800MHz+ worth of parallel data onto serial lines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.