Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA EQM /EQP for QF codeshare on Air Tahiti Nui. SAA? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2007, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF FF, Miles and More; SPG.

I have a flight booked on TN. AA is a partner airline for TN and so I can credit the flights to my AA account. The flight does not seem to have an AA codeshare number so am I right in understanding that I cannot use this flight as credit for the gold challenge as it is not on AA metal?

Also, could you please inform this noobie, as to whether AA points expire?
Old Jan 19, 2007, 4:39 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
No is correct.

Points expire at the end of each year. Inasmuch as you can't use points for anything at all other than determining status for each year, that's not really a problem.

Miles, on the other hand, expire three years from the date of last activity (any activity at all). Meaning that if you do something (anything) to earn or use AA miles at least once every three years, they will never expire. This is valuable as miles, unlike points, can be used for things like upgrades and free travel.

You can also get a lot of very basic information about the AAdvantage program (referring to the latter question, not the first) from AA.com.

Cheers.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Be aware that the only coach fare that earn AA miles are Y, M, K, H, T, or L.

http://www.aa.com/apps/AAdvantage/Vi...artnersContent

And you will not earn any elite-qualifying miles or points for this flight, regardless of fare class. (Which is part of the reason it won't work for the challenges.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 8:09 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
And you will not earn any elite-qualifying miles or points for this flight, regardless of fare class. (Which is part of the reason it won't work for the challenges.
Actually, not really. I think this could confuse the issue. Certainly not earning EQP makes it hard to use for the challenge, but that's not really the reason it wouldn't work with the new rules.

Regardless of whether the TN flight earned EQP is irrelevant with regard to the (new) challenge rules. Because it is not an AA flight or AA codeshare, it is not eligible. In this case, any discussion of earned EQP is tangential.

Cheers.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
Actually, not really. I think this could confuse the issue. Certainly not earning EQP makes it hard to use for the challenge, but that's not really the reason it wouldn't work with the new rules.

Regardless of whether the TN flight earned EQP is irrelevant with regard to the (new) challenge rules. Because it is not an AA flight or AA codeshare, it is not eligible. In this case, any discussion of earned EQP is tangential.

Cheers.
Actually, we're both right. It's a 2-pronged test now. Has to earn EQPs, has to be AA-marketed. In this case, it fails both tests. As you're aware, not all AA flights earn EQPs -- e.g., "Tickets between North America and Europe, India, Asia and Latin America booked in O and Transatlantic tickets booked in Q are not eligible". So just telling someone "it has to be AA marketed or operated" is misleading (not that you said that).
This is also why my post said "part of the reason it won't work".
Old Jan 19, 2007, 8:20 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok

Cheers.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
How about a TN flight operated as a QF codeshare?

According to aa.com the quote "Flight mileage may not accrue on flights operated by carriers other than oneworld carriers" is ambiguous. TN is not OW, but is a partner of AA, and is sold as a QF codeshare. What occurs in this case? No dice?

The reason I ask is because I am planning to go to Tahiti this summer, but the cheapest one is a LAX-PPT-LAX on QF code-share operated by TN.

If I'm not going to get any miles for this (EQMs or non-EQMs), I might as well just book it as TN.

Last edited by kebosabi; Jan 19, 2007 at 10:08 am
Old Jan 19, 2007, 10:16 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by kebosabi
How about a TN flight operated as a QF codeshare? ....
Zero miles. Accrues only if booked as TN, any other codeshare and no Aadvantage earning.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by number_6
Zero miles. Accrues only if booked as TN, any other codeshare and no Aadvantage earning.
Thank you. I'll take the TN flight then - no EQMs, but at least I'll earn miles.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Originally Posted by number_6
Really? I would have thought that if you bought the ticket as a Qantas codeshare, since it's a oneworld partner of American, that Qantas earning rules would apply, which would include both EQMs and EQPs.

The new rules for doing a challenge still apply, so the EQPs would not count towards achieving the challenge, but wouldn't the EQPs and EQMs still add up for the year-end total to determine what status is acheived/maintained (as long as it's in an earning fare bucket)?

Steve
Old Jan 19, 2007, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by steve32
Really? I would have thought
You thought wrong.....
Old Jan 19, 2007, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by steve32
Really? I would have thought that if you bought the ticket as a Qantas codeshare, since it's a oneworld partner of American, that Qantas earning rules would apply, which would include both EQMs and EQPs.
The new rules for doing a challenge still apply, so the EQPs would not count towards achieving the challenge, but wouldn't the EQPs and EQMs still add up for the year-end total to determine what status is acheived/maintained (as long as it's in an earning fare bucket)?
Steve
In the example given, no. The flight must be marketed and operated by a eligible airline (OW or AS) for elite status miles or points or an AA codeshare.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
AA EQM for Qantas codeshare on Air Tahiti Nui?

I take it that Air Tahiti Nui flights are not EQM earning on there own. Any codeshares by AA? Can't seem to find them. If there are codeshares, are they then EQM earning if an AA flight number?

I did find some QF-numbered Air Tahiti Nui flights - do those earn AA EQM?
Old Feb 12, 2007, 8:30 pm

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Rules for qualification are here.

Last edited by sinanju; Feb 12, 2007 at 8:38 pm
Old Feb 12, 2007, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by sts603
I did find some QF-numbered Air Tahiti Nui flights - do those earn AA EQM?
See nako's post for the full details, but no, the flight must be ticketed by a OW member (pass) and operated by a OW partner (fail). No EQM/Ps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.