Wiki Posts
Search

liquids/ food to usa

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2008, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Exclamation liquids/ food to usa

Hello;

In a couple of days we are flying from Brussels to a conference in Mexico city with united airlines. We have to change flights in Washington IAD.

I have a couple of questions about the luggage. I know it's a bad idea to take liquids or food in hand luggage, but what about the check in luggage? What are the general rules here? I know we have to reclaim luggage in washington and check in again.

Well, the thing is that we have to bring some local specialities with us for that conference. Now we tought about bringing Belgian beer, chocolates, ... But what are the rules here? Maximum amounts... Do we have to 'declare' this? (and spent a couple of hours in some dark office because of this)

We have about 2 and a half hours to get through customs and immigration and change flights. Not that much but probably enough. But I just fear that this would create problems that can cause us to miss the flight.

Some of the members of our group are 19 or 20 years old, above legal drinking age in both Belgium and Mexico, but not in the usa. Is it allowed for them to have beer in their luggage...

One more thing, does anyone have an idea how much you have to pay extra for every additional kilo on United airlines flights?

Thanks ... Bert
Old Mar 13, 2008, 9:46 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by jacobsbert1987
What are the general rules here? I know we have to reclaim luggage in washington and check in again.
No problem. As long the food is packed, canned and sealed it is no problem. What is not allowed is anything raw, like raw vegetables, fruit, meat or dairy products.

Your chocolate will be fine. I bring all the time German chocolate to the US.

You will actually not check in again. You will be probably checked-through to your final destination and you will. The thing you need to do is to drop off yo luggage at the transfer desk which is normally located right after customs.

Well, the thing is that we have to bring some local specialities with us for that conference. Now we tought about bringing Belgian beer, chocolates,
The limit for gifts in the US is $100. Alcohol up to 1 Liter. Don't know about Mexico

We have about 2 and a half hours to get through customs and immigration and change flights. Not that much but probably enough. But I just fear that this would create problems that can cause us to miss the flight.
This should be enough time. Don't worry.

Some of the members of our group are 19 or 20 years old, above legal drinking age in both Belgium and Mexico, but not in the usa. Is it allowed for them to have beer in their luggage...
I think this shouldn't be a problem.

One more thing, does anyone have an idea how much you have to pay extra for every additional kilo on United airlines flights?
You can find the luggage rules on the United website.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 9:13 pm
In memoriam

I'd actually check with the TSA http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/customer/index.shtm about under-21 year olds carrying alcohol - better to be safe than sorry!
Old Mar 13, 2008, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
You're allowed 2 bags of 32 Kg each the last time I checked (earlier this week). The food's o.k. though I'd say soft cheeses, any fresh fruit and veg, and meat of any sort (even if canned) is better not transported through the U.S.

Unless you must consume Belgian beer while in Mexico, I think you'll find alcohol prices in Mexico is really cheap. For example, duty-free Bacardi 151 proof rum is USD 16-18 at the Canada/U.S. border. Duty free in the U.S. crossing into Mexico, it's less than US$10.

I think the sub 21 y.o.s maybe have a hard time but if you can carry if for them..... Just declare everything and write "In Transit to Mexico City" in the address part of the I-94W and customs form. And have proof of onward travel handy.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 8:12 am

Programs: none
Your quote:
" In Transit to Mexico City" in the address part of the I-94W and customs form "

I wrote once " In Transit to Maine "
No questions asked at Kennedy
Old Mar 14, 2008, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by kanopemainer
Your quote:
" In Transit to Mexico City" in the address part of the I-94W and customs form "

I wrote once " In Transit to Maine "
No questions asked at Kennedy
Are you a U.S. citizen? They probably don't care too much if such is the case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.