Wiki Posts
Search

DONE5 ex-South Africa

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2008, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, United Platinum, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold
DONE5 ex-South Africa

I've been lurking on the board for months, trying to plot a trip that would allow me to take 9-12 months off work and get to see some of the world. But after dragging my heels on getting the pieces in place, the potential upcoming restriction to 16 segments has been an effective motivator. I realize that nobody knows exactly when this will change, but is it safe to assume we'd have around a month of advance notice?

Was hoping that CMB was going to be the new hotspot for cheap OWE tickets... but it appears that's not going to be the case. So, with some people suggesting the South African Rand was a good value, I came up with this itinerary:

JNB-HKG-DEL-NRT-DPS-PER-BNE-AKL-SYD-SCL-IPC-xSCL-GYE-EZE-MAD-DME-AMM-DXB-LHR-MRU-JNB

Whereas alot of people have x's and o's scattered throughout... I am actually planning on spending time in most of these destinations. I did some tweaking to maximize mileage, but that wasn't the primary goal.

I'm definitely open to some suggestions for improvements (the Europe portion is kind of a mess, I wanted to do Russia and the Middle East, but its tough to combine the two areas without constantly going through LHR).

Also, although it may be a hard sell since I am seriously lacking in possible AA segments (as codeshares), I was thinking of trying to get the CPT GSA to issue the ticket to save a bit on taxes/surcharges. Given that the ticket is ZAR 45,300, is 15% a good estimate for the extras? Has anybody priced this up recently?

Thanks for any potential advice... and thanks even more to all the regular posters who got me this far.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JS0720
...I realize that nobody knows exactly when this will change, but is it safe to assume we'd have around a month of advance notice?...
Some major changes have been dropped on us at very short notice, even overnight, as in the case of the surface segments, so it is certainly not beyond them to do it again.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 4:18 pm

Do let us know how you go. I am currently booked out of NRT but am contemplating CPT due to the stark difference in fares, even with a DONE5. But I need to know whether the process will work for me before I commit to repositioning myself to South Africa (current DONE4 takes me back to NRT).

I have no shortage of AA segments.

I am just concerned about whether they are willing to issue paper tickets in advanced, or would I have to do an electronic on the phone and reissue later etc.

And more importantly - whether they'd take remote payment.

I'd do a search but am getting a database error everytime I do so for the past hour.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 4:44 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Here is some info that might be helpful to those considering starting their RTW in South Africa:

I recently priced a 9-segment AONE4 with BA and the taxes were almost 11% of the base price (with one LHR stopover).

With regard to the AA GSA in Cape Town, I received this information from them this morning:
- They only issue provided the trans Atlantic leg is on AA metal.
- No problem with issuing once payment is made.
- Payment involves a bit of a rigmarole: filling in an authorisation form, copies of your passport and front and back of the credit card etc. but nothing too daunting.
- Not keen to post a ticket (I didn't think to ask but they may be willing to courier at your expense?)
Interesting side snippet: When I asked if the pax had to be present before a paper ticket would be issued, they said preferably not: it apparently takes about 2 hours to issue a paper ticket!

Last edited by Cheetah_SA; Mar 10, 2008 at 5:19 am Reason: I type like a dyslexic woodpecker!
Old Mar 10, 2008, 5:03 am

Thanks Cheetah_SA! That sounds a lot like the lovely people at AA CMB when I dealt with them early last year.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Anyone have experience purchasing ex-JNB?
Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:11 pm
Suspended

What about CX?

Not too keen in taking AA transatlantic when I can take BA.

ALTHOUGH I guess you can be sneaky and issue it with AA and then just change it to BA after (as the coupon is fully endorseable onto BA).
Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by vxmike
Anyone have experience purchasing ex-JNB?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...56&postcount=4
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...27&postcount=5
You could also purchase an ex-JNB xonex at the ex-JNB price in Canada.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 1:36 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Just heard from a friend who's in SA at present ticketing a DONE5 with travel beginning in December (to lock in current good prices and 20 segments.)

He booked initially with BA with a preliminary CPT-LHR-EZE itinerary, which AA's CPT GSA declined to ticket. He then changed the itin to CPT-LHR-xMIA-LIM so he could use the AA codeshare no. on the CPT-LHR flight and use AA metal over the pond (increasing AA miles big time - he's AA Plat.)

AA agreed to go with this, and the AA price (around USD6200 all in) is around 9% less than the quote given by BA for the original routing. I believe he's ticketing it today/tomorrow.

Edited to add - one must recognize the volatility of the USD/ZAR in doing comparos - the two quotes were not received simultaneously.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, United Platinum, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold
Well there goes that idea then... given the fact that I completely left North America off my itinerary, it would be fairly difficult to fly on AA metal transatlantic (and hence AA in Cape Town wont be too keen to issue my ticket). From what I gather, they have no choice since my first leg is on CX (JNB-HKG). On the otherhand, Gardyloo makes a good point about the possibility of using AA codeshare numbers on BA flight, as I am an AA Plat and probably makes a huge difference mileage-wise. So maybe BA would be a better bet, if they would even agree to ticket it.

In the case that I end up going with CX, I take it there isnt much difference in ticketing it ex-JNB in Canada, vs going through an agent in South Africa? Are there any differences in conversion (ZAR>USD vs ZAR>CAD)?

I thought I only had to be paranoid about the e-ticketing deadlines, but now I'm worried about a possible fare increase, as well. Perhaps I should just go and ticket it and mess with the dates at some other point!
Old Mar 10, 2008, 7:25 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Fwiw, in the past currency instability has been adjusted annually in January and only in extreme cases has there been an interim adjustment. The current volatility in the ZAR is probably insufficient, given that it did not trigger a far adjustment this past Jan 2008. Suggesting that the ZAR fare will be good for the rest of 2008.

No particular advantage or disadvantage in ticketing in Canada, however good luck finding an agent who is willing to do this without charging a substantial fee (CAD 300 or so). Given the man hours involved, that is reasonable. CX in Vancouver will ticket it and can be reached via 800 number from US. As the first international sector they have no choice (but can insist on ticketing it in person in JNB; but they will not). Adding a continent and ticketing on AA might be the same cost as ticketing on CX, though.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 4:43 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by rtwdone4
What about CX?
CX and BA have a rule that they will only issue if your first intercontinental flight is on CX or BA metal respectively.

Not too keen in taking AA transatlantic when I can take BA.

ALTHOUGH I guess you can be sneaky and issue it with AA and then just change it to BA after (as the coupon is fully endorseable onto BA).
Mmmm... now there's a thought! Could save a lot on taxes.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 5:34 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Sure you can change. This actually makes these policies quite strange as they pretty easy to work around if one really wants.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 6:12 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Sure you can change. This actually makes these policies quite strange as they pretty easy to work around if one really wants.
What I find also strange about this policy is that AA GSAs enforce it yet AA itself seldom bothers.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2+MM
exJNB with AA

I'm planning on being in JNB and was going to start my DONE4 from there. I'm planning on buying the ticket through AA. From what I see on AA's site and from what I read here, AA only GSA in South Africa is in CPT. Since my first flight across the ocean is on AA, will I be able to ticket this through CX or do I have to go to CPT to get the ticket?

thanks for any advice.
Silverado

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.