Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place - Roanoke, VA REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2008, 7:00 am
Original Poster

I stayed here this past weekend. Construction is ongoing and not all rooms are complete, much less the bar, business areas, lobby, or lounge area, which are not available at all. They do have a temporary area for breakfast but no room service, evening reception or the like. Elevators seemed to take a long time, I suspect because construction workers were using them to complete work on rooms.

Staffing also seems to be a major problem. I was using points for the second night of my stay and was told on arriving that they could not provide the second night free since they had no way to confirm that the points had actually been deducted from my account! This after I showed them the printout of my confirmations for both nights of the stay. Finally, the manager came out and said everything was fine. Upon returning to my room the next day after going out for most of the day I found that my key did not work. Back to the desk for a new key. When I got into my room I found a letter stating that they could not honor my request for the second night on points because they could not confirm the points had been deducted from my account and that I would be charged the regular weekend fee if I chose to stay. Hmmnn... Deja vu, anyone? OK, back to the desk. Two staffers there said they couldn't do anything about the situation and I insisted the points night had been confirmed the day before by the manager. I went back to my room and a few minutes later got a call saying I could stay for points and I received an apology. All in all, a real hassle and a waste of time for me.

The room was, of course, brand new and quite acceptable. Loved the 42" TV with HD channels. Very comfortable king bed and a large sectional sofa with hassock in the living area. Good computer hook-ups. Small problems in that there were no glasses of any kind in the room and the phone did not work and I had to call for maintenance. Turns out someone had taken a filter from the phone connection and that had to be replaced, which was done promptly. Breakfast choices were OK but not great. They do have a gym with new equipment that looked small but satisfactory. Lots of restaurants within easy walks or short drive since the hotel is on the edge of a major shopping mall. Also a two-minute drive from the airport. All in all, a "place" with promise but far from realizing that promise.

Last edited by upgrader; Feb 27, 2008 at 7:05 am
Old Feb 27, 2008, 8:00 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
This sounds a lot like the Hyatt Place in Greenville, SC where I live. Drove by it (a former Amerisuites) a week ago - apparently was open for business, but so painfully obviously WAAAAY under construction still. Poor guests!!
Old Dec 29, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Had two separate one-night stays in December 2014. Signage throughout the hotel indicates that renovations are continuing until February 2015. (Looking at the two previous posts in this thread, I find it odd that renovations apparently took place six years ago as well, since the place is definitely on the well-worn side of the HP spectrum of properties.)

On my first stay I was assigned a non-renovated room on the 6th floor, steps away from where room renovations were (noisily) taking place. I chalked it up to bad luck and didn't worry about it. However, attempting to preempt such an arrangement for my next stay, I included a note with my second reservation asking for a renovated room if one was available. I ended up with the *exact same room* on the 6th floor as the first stay a few days prior. Again renovations were (noisily) underway, literally two rooms down from me, and continued until nearly 10pm on a Monday night which seemed somewhat absurd.

Adding insult to injury, my diamond amenity points were not credited for one of my two stays, and twice I was overcharged (versus the menu) for drinks at the lobby bar.

Tough to recommend this property to other Diamond guests. The hotel was not nearly full during either stay and honestly I expected better, especially after including a room preference note with my second reservation. Unfortunately it's a fair hike in any direction to another Hyatt property, so this is really the only option in the Shenandoah valley.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.