Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the cheapest QF ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2002, 5:11 am
Original Poster

What's the cheapest QF ticket?

Just wondering what would be cheaper the current web specials between SYD-BNE and MEL or a dirt cheap fare between some hardly known destinations?
Old Jan 27, 2002, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Strange question. Surely what matters is the price where you want to go?

I haven't seen anything cheaper than the specials between Melbourne and Sydney.

Dave
Old Jan 27, 2002, 4:54 pm

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
So you are looking to do circuits to get your 1000 points per flight to get to attain silver or gold.
Cheapest is,
Canberra to Melbourne, $66.00 16-Jan; 27-Mar
or 1-May to 30 June.

------------------
Indecision is the key to flexibility
Old Jan 27, 2002, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Bundy Bear:
So you are looking to do circuits to get your 1000 points per flight to get to attain silver or gold. </font>
: Smart thinking!

Old Jan 28, 2002, 9:24 pm

Don't forget my bus ride!

I suppose it would be even more rewarding now under the new rules.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum39/HTML/000085.html

Old Jan 28, 2002, 10:28 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Now looking at this logically (which is new for me, I know), we can look at it two ways, depending on whether you are after tier credits or FF points.

Either way, we need to put the A$66 fare into perspective by adding the A$10 Ansett levie and any other taxes. So lets say we end up paying about A$80 each sector, or A$160 return.

Tier Credits:

10 tier credits per sector = A$8/tier credit

1000 points per sector = A$0.08/point

Now, lets compare to a RTW in D class, where you can go 34,000 miles in comfort and actually see something interesting at the many destinations. Cost is A$8399 plus taxes (no GST on international travel, my last one had A$157 in taxes) making it arround A$8600.

Lets see how it compares:

Tier Credits:

Should be able to easily get 1000 tier credits, if not more = A$8.60/tier credit. Slightly more expensive, but gets you well into Gold status plus 4 upgrade credits and much more comfortable.

Depends on the status you start out at and the mix of carriers (QF and AA give status bonus). Should be able to pick up 50000+ points, more if you start out at Gold or Plat status. So lets use 50K giving A$0.17/point.

So my conclusion is that if you are after points, then go for lots of short very cheap flights (if you can get them at the times you are available) or bus trips. If you are after status, then a RTW Global Explorer or One World Explorer Business class is the way to go.

Of course, if youlive in Canberra and have family/friends/lover in Sydney and desire to travel that route regularly, then you may have a valid reason to frequent the Dash-8's.
Old Jan 30, 2002, 7:31 am

Anyone dare to book the following??? Only $25 with tax... Would you get the 1000 bonus points for booking online, as well as the 1000 point minimum???

QF 1950 E
Paraburdoo (PBO), Paraburdoo, WA
Tom Price (TPR), Tom Price, WA
Non-stop BUS 0h50min Economy

Fare Tax Australian Dollars
17.00 + 8.85 x 1 Adult = 25.85

So $25 for 2000 points? Not bad at all.

Old Jan 30, 2002, 8:39 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by futaris:
QF 1950 E
Paraburdoo (PBO), Paraburdoo, WA
Tom Price (TPR), Tom Price, WA
Non-stop BUS 0h50min Economy

Fare Tax Australian Dollars
17.00 + 8.85 x 1 Adult = 25.85

So $25 for 2000 points? Not bad at all.
</font>
Great stuff! What on Earth made you look for a flight in these places?
Old Jan 30, 2002, 9:28 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Spider:
Great stuff! What on Earth made you look for a flight in these places?</font>
It's not a flight, it's a bus.

Old Jan 30, 2002, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Fair enough! But why would someone from Brissie be looking for a Qantas busride in the middle of nowhere in WA?
Old Jan 30, 2002, 12:09 pm

Can I get BA miles for this?
Old Jan 30, 2002, 4:31 pm

As I reported on my trip last year (see above link), its actually cheaper to book Tom Price to Parabadoo over the phone than over the internet - it's $18 compared to $26, but no online bonus.

I can confirm that you definitely receive points and status credits.

Its a nice bus ride but it leaves early in the morning (TP to Para) and the windows fog up for some reason. As for the flight, I had the best breakfast I've ever had in business class.

Tom Price is definitely worth a visit, there are fabulous gorges about 50 km out of town.

There is no Qantas club at Paraburdoo. At TP, the bus just drops you out the front of the travel agent shop.

Old Jan 30, 2002, 4:53 pm
NM

But do they offer Business Class on the bus? Is there a meal/bar service?

Getting there in the first place is the problem. Maybe you could find a mine worker who travels the route regularly and offer to pay their fare for them ... only kidding, that would be a naughty thing to do, now wouldn't it.

Now, $26 for 2000 points (assuming on-line booking bonus) is better than $18 for 1000 points.

Pitty QF don't offer a bus service from Brisbane to the Gold Coast or Caloundra
Old Jan 30, 2002, 6:16 pm

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold), SQ PPS
There is another QF bus service from Kempsey to Port Macquarrie I think.. a slightly more salubrious area than Paraburdoo! Also, there are a lot of launch services around the Whitsundays which have QF 'flight' numbers..even better!

[This message has been edited by whughes3 (edited 01-30-2002).]
Old Jan 30, 2002, 11:10 pm
NM

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by whughes3:
There is another QF bus service from Kempsey to Port Macquarrie I think.. a slightly more salubrious area than Paraburdoo! Also, there are a lot of launch services around the Whitsundays which have QF 'flight' numbers..even better!
</font>
Hmm, my wife's sister and her family just moved away from Port Macquarie, so we won't be going there as regularly as the last few years . But they moved to Perth, so that probably now makes them closer to Parabadoo?

Might have to look into the Whitsunday launches. I suppose from Hamilton to Hayman Islands? Planning a trip up that way in winter (yeah, I know ... Brisbane really does have a winter - we just hope it falls on a weekend so we can toast marshmallows).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.