Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK Parking Options (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2008, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

JFK Parking Options (consolidated)

Ok, after researching all alternatives, it looks like I've got to drive to JFK and park my car there somewhere. I'm sure the extended parking area's are well noted once I come in from the north. Anyone have any suggestions? Should I use the park and fly service? Are the long term lots fairly safe form my new car?
I really appreciate any advice as my wife and I are from a small town in upstate and are not used to the big city ways.
Thanks in advance!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

Please note that rates may have changed since being posted here. Please confirm rates for yourselves.

For a related thread, see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-y...solidated.html

dstan
NYC Forum Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Mar 26, 2010 at 2:38 pm
Old Feb 19, 2008, 8:09 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Welcome to Flyertalk.

I use airpark at JFK, www.airparkparking.com. They are $20 a day with tax, and give you one or two free days for every seven depending on which coupon you have. Just used them last week, they drove us immediatly over to the terminal, and took about 15 minutes last night for a pickup (they were totally sacked at once, they had two vans that were filled as everybody came in at once).

On airport parking is $15 a day in the long term lot.

Driving to JFK can be a breeze or it can be a nightmare, and there's no way to tell which it will be at any given time, so leave plenty of time. You may get there very early, but that's way better then getting there very late.

Even if you use the onsite long term, consider getting a reservation at one of the off site lots just in case the onsite stuff is full. Most of the off sites are very packed, and you need reservations. Better to have one and not use it then to need one and not have it.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 8:29 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
I've used JFK long term a few times and its generally busy and safe.
http://panynj.com/CommutingTravel/ai...n_parking.html

Its a long Air-Train ride from the parking to the terminals, but its
not too bad.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 5:13 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Arriving from the North on Van Wyck you will see signs for long term which located off Lefferts Blvd. Depending on time of day you will encounter a little bit of traffic but nothing horrible - plan another 30 minutes over your mapquest directions.

Long term has extensive activity (incoming/outgoing cars) all day/night so I think it is safe. There is AirTran service (FREE) will take you around the airport to your terminal.

I'm not sure from where upstate but you might consider a public transportation route if you are near Amtrak or Metro North (on the Hudson side). It avoids driving in NYC which is a slight adjustment as soon as you get south of the Tappen Zee Bridge - not horrible just more aggressive.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 6:37 pm

Parking @ JFK: Will My Car Still Be There?

I need your counsel and advice regarding the advisability of leaving my car at either the JFK airport parking compound (Avistar) or at a nearby Ramada Plaza Hotel lot while gone for 15 days. I've been told that one should not (under any circumstances) leave one's car at either site for extended periods of time. I am uncertain of what to do. I don't really want to spend more than twice as much to take a taxi to/from JFK from Point Pleasant Beach, N.J. but .... What do you seasoned FTers do when you fly out of JFK? Thanks for you guidance.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Your car will be fine. Not sure where you heard such "horror stories", but I don't think you need to worry.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by XFed2001
I need your counsel and advice regarding the advisability of leaving my car at either the JFK airport parking compound (Avistar) or at a nearby Ramada Plaza Hotel lot while gone for 15 days. I've been told that one should not (under any circumstances) leave one's car at either site for extended periods of time. I am uncertain of what to do. I don't really want to spend more than twice as much to take a taxi to/from JFK from Point Pleasant Beach, N.J. but .... What do you seasoned FTers do when you fly out of JFK? Thanks for you guidance.
If I don't use a car service, then I park at LT Parking, off of Federal Circle/Lefferts Blvd. So far # of car drop-offs and # of car pick-ups have been equal.

I'm not usually gone for 15 days, though. For that, based on what it would cost me to park for that period, I would just utilize a car service, or drop my wheels off at a pal's in NJ.

O/H
Old Sep 18, 2008, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fly UA MM 1K, Sleep Hyatt & IHG, Hertzer. 2022 Flyertalk Fantasy Football Champion
I've NEVER heard of anyone having a problem leaving their car at JFK. The only thing I would suggest is since you're going to be gone for such a long time, is taking public transportation. I don't know NJ that well, are you in an area where NY Penn Station is accessible? Then just take LIRR to Jamaica/Air Train.

P.S.: How dare you post a travel related thread on Flyertalk in OMNI!!!
Old Sep 18, 2008, 7:32 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I've waited way too long for Avistar to come and pick me up on return, but never had a problem with the car in their lot. Sometimes it's not ready for you, but that's how Avistar works.

I have since moved all my business at JFK and LGA to air park parking. It's the same type of deal, you pull in, they run you over, pick you up on the way back. At JFK they also have a full service car wash, so if you need a wash or a detail job, they do it while you are gone.

But for the actual safety of the car, never a problem at Avistar.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Originally Posted by XFed2001
I rent a car for each way. I just rented one for the 27th Oct when I leave for Oz and Asia for 3 weeks.
$60 HVN-JFK and $72 LGA-HVN. I can almost guarantee parking isn't that cheap .
YMMV
Old Sep 18, 2008, 7:36 pm

Just don't leave it in the handicap spot and you'll be fine.

Old Sep 18, 2008, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Dude, don't worry about your car, worry about yourself! Nearly 50% of people never make it to the terminal!
Old Sep 18, 2008, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cordelli
they run you over
Sounds like typical New York service.

Originally Posted by cordelli
At JFK they also have a full service car wash, so if you need a wash or a detail job, they do it while you are gone.
Do they wash it as soon as you drop it off and then leave it outside for birds to poop all over?
Old Sep 18, 2008, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM
Dude... there's Olympic Shuttle, there's NJ Transit, and there's Long-term parking at JFK.... unless this is really an early morning or a late night flight, I'd take public transportation.

On top of that.... you DO have insurance, right??
Old Sep 18, 2008, 8:27 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
The worst you could expect is that a ruined investment banker might move in to your car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.