Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Multiple CC accounts feeding to an AA account?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2008, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Multiple CC accounts feeding to an AA account?

Hi all -

I have a citi AA mastercard that gives me AA points... I noticed a bonus offer for the citi card that gives like 25k points & was thinking about having my wife sign up for her own card.

Can she set it up to deposit it into my AA account so that all of our points stay together? Didn't know if the names had to match on the MC account & AA account or some such thing...

Thanks!
Old Feb 12, 2008, 11:49 am

Programs: AA EXP 0.8MM, Skyward, SPG Gold
Why pay annual fees for 2 CC if you want the points to go to one account only?
Old Feb 12, 2008, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm fairly certain that you can't designate someone else's AAdvantage account as the recipient for your Citi AAdantage card miles. I'm too lazy to look in the fine print, but I'd wager real money it's in there.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 11:58 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold
Just to clarify: Is it 100K AA miles per credit card per year or per AA account?
Old Feb 12, 2008, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
The principal cardholder's name must match the name on the AAdvantage account (or be pretty darn close to it).

If you want your wife's purchases to earn miles to your account, why not just make her an authorized user on your account? No further annual fee.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by trach500
Just to clarify: Is it 100K AA miles per credit card per year or per AA account?
Credit card. There are people who sign up for a new AA card (or multiple cards) every month or two, spend the few hundred dollars necessary to earn the sign up bonus, cancel the card and repeat. They earn hundreds of thousands (in some cases millions) of AA miles per year this way.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 12:26 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
a friend of mine has a business and a regular card feeding his adv account....

perhaps it would be worth it to get her the card for the bonus....i guess thats what you're after....but it gives another account albeit w/ enough mi's for an award....

good luck....
Old Feb 12, 2008, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 0.8MM, Skyward, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Credit card. There are people who sign up for a new AA card (or multiple cards) every month or two, spend the few hundred dollars necessary to earn the sign up bonus, cancel the card and repeat. They earn hundreds of thousands (in some cases millions) of AA miles per year this way.
WOW, I wonder what their credit score looks like...
Old Feb 12, 2008, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat
You can have multiple CC accounts feeding to the same AAdvantage account, but they have to be for the same primary cardholder. So you can have a personal MC and an AMEX and a business card and get the sign-up bonuses and the spend miles, but you have to have them all in your name. I don't think you will be able to sign up your wife as a primary cardholder and have the points go to your account.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by IST_flyer
WOW, I wonder what their credit score looks like...
I was concerned about that too...but apparently, if you already have a good score (over 700) churning cards doesn't have much of an adverse effect. Perhaps 10 or 20 points or so, but even that is allegedly a temporary ding that goes away after a month or so.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 12:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold
yeah, i just noticed that in another forum (other credit cards) on this site. prety crazy stuff, but genius.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 12:48 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I was concerned about that too...but apparently, if you already have a good score (over 700) churning cards doesn't have much of an adverse effect. Perhaps 10 or 20 points or so, but even that is allegedly a temporary ding that goes away after a month or so.
While length of credit card history can be a fairly important factor, I agree that it should not have much of an effect on a score down around 700. There would be other factors bringing the score to that level, and these would likely outweigh the credit card history/average age. For high scores (800+), the churning would likely have a more substantial impact.

Cheers.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Citi is known on occasion to create new AAdvantage accounts instead of using your existing account number (not always, perhaps not for targeted promos). AA will then need to merge the accounts, and there will be a problem if the names do not match.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 4:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
CitiBank waives credit card miles ceilings for AA elites, and the Business card earns two miles per dollar spent on American Airlines (not to mention, offers better discounted awards iirc, and an Admirals Club membership purchase / renewal discount as well.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by brp
While length of credit card history can be a fairly important factor, I agree that it should not have much of an effect on a score down around 700. There would be other factors bringing the score to that level, and these would likely outweigh the credit card history/average age. For high scores (800+), the churning would likely have a more substantial impact.

Cheers.
That's debateable. My score has been around 800 +- maybe 10 points or so for about 8-10 years. Basically since I started checking. Nearly everything I've seen mentions 760 as the cutoff for the absolute best rates on loans FYI.

I only started churning cards abou 3 years ago or so and it has made absolutely no difference. If you subscribe to truecredit it will graph it for you, so I know literally month by month.

So my experience, which is based on a semi controlled experiment -- first I didn't churn them, then I did -- suggests there isn't much of an effect.

I have read what seems like speculation here that this will affect a credit score but no similarly clear conflicting report. Eg my score was X and then I churned citi cards and it went down.

I'm sure that's plausible too, and I'd love if others would share their experience.

But in the absence of credible reports to the contrary I'd argue that there is some evidence that churning cards has a low to negligable effect on people with good credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.