Wiki Posts
Search

OMNI Post Counts

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2008, 9:54 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport
Original Poster

OMNI Post Counts

I know this was a subject that was discussed in the past.

In the last few days, I've noticed massive number of consecutive posts by a longstanding member. I first noticed this in the Food Association thread. Upon a bit of further "research", I've found that this person has posted about 18,000 posts in Count Up Thread including several runs of 75+ consecutive posts at a time in the last few days. Now there are a couple of other members who are starting to do the same thing.

My concern with this and proposal for removal of OMNI post counts are based on a couple of arguments.

1. These massive consecutive posts basically violate TOS anyways - post padding and consecutive posts. However, Randy is the only moderator in OMNI and he is often not available.

2. There has been discussions of people complaining that the "games" threads waste space etc. My argument here is that these "games" threads are no longer games for the "OMNI enabled" but become a "private thread" for one (or a few) members. In the Food Association thread, you can see this clearly, a few times a "general" member posted but gets totally ignored by the consecutive poster.

I strongly believe that if OMNI post counts are removed, this type of behavior is much less likely to occur.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 10:28 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by peteropny
I strongly believe that if OMNI post counts are removed, this type of behavior is much less likely to occur.
Are you talking ALL OMNI post counts, or just those in games, or threads that require consecutive posting of a number or phrase?

Would a non-counting OMNI Games Forum address your concerns? Neither the past or current TalkBoard has considered that issue.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 10:52 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
All OMNI posts should not count and the change should be retroactive.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 10:54 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in COPENHAGEN, DENMARK
FWIW, the TB has been discussing this issue since this was posted in the ORP forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=787403

Nothing to report yet, but we're talkin' about it and poster input is always welcome!
Old Feb 12, 2008, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by kokonutz
FWIW, the TB has been discussing this issue since this was posted in the ORP forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=787403

Nothing to report yet, but we're talkin' about it and poster input is always welcome!
Not again. Please tell me this isn't going to start another post count war with regards to OMNI.

Didn't the last TB vote on this? Wouldn't this be "too soon" and "disrespectful" of the last TB's decision?

(I used quotes because I think that line of thinking is silly, but since it was used to essentially kill the VX forum, well, let's be consistent, then.)
Old Feb 12, 2008, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
This behavior has been going on for 6 months or more. It's not just one or two members, it's quite a few.

There is a locked thread in ORP discussing this very thing.

I have no issue with the game threads, it's just the shear number of them.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichMSN
Didn't the last TB vote on this? Wouldn't this be "too soon" and "disrespectful" of the last TB's decision?

(I used quotes because I think that line of thinking is silly, but since it was used to essentially kill the VX forum, well, let's be consistent, then.)
Slightly OT here, but not all of your TB members felt that way & the item still went to vote anyways...
Old Feb 12, 2008, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhatnasx
Slightly OT here, but not all of your TB members felt that way & the item still went to vote anyways...
I know, I know.

But I know I'll be looking for at least one vote to be consistent with this philosophy.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
It's hard for me not to be consistent on this one - I voted against it last time and I haven't seen anything which would make me reconsider my vote on that occasion.

On timing, I'd have less of an issue if this was revoted, since it's several months, not just weeks, since it was last considered. For other reasons, which I'm sure those who were on TB at the time of the last vote would completely understand, I would groan if we revisited it again.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jenbel
It's hard for me not to be consistent on this one - I voted against it last time and I haven't seen anything which would make me reconsider my vote on that occasion.

On timing, I'd have less of an issue if this was revoted, since it's several months, not just weeks, since it was last considered. For other reasons, which I'm sure those who were on TB at the time of the last vote would completely understand, I would groan if we revisited it again.
Wait, wait, wait.

You voted FOR the VX forum the first time and then abstained to "respect the views of the previous TB" the second time.

On this, the previous TB shot down (didn't get 2/3 majority) but NOW you'd choose to be "personally" consistent? If you held that philosophy in the VX vote, the motion would've passed.

I guess I don't see the see the consistency in your viewpoints here. Situational?
Old Feb 12, 2008, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wait, wait, wait.

You voted FOR the VX forum the first time and then abstained to "respect the views of the previous TB" the second time.

On this, the previous TB shot down (didn't get 2/3 majority) but NOW you'd choose to be "personally" consistent? If you held that philosophy in the VX vote, the motion would've passed.

I guess I don't see the see the consistency in your viewpoints here. Situational?
Big difference. A small hint: re-read the beginning of the second paragraph of Jenbel's post.
As the French saying goes, there is nobody more deaf than the one who does not want to hear.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickB
Big difference. A small hint: re-read the beginning of the second paragraph of Jenbel's post.
As the French saying goes, there is nobody more deaf than the one who does not want to hear.
I always figured a French saying would actually be in French. Silly me.

And, forgive me for being rude here: I read that part of the paragraph very well and I don't necessarily believe it's the entire truth.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you prefer the original version: Il n'y a de pire sourd que celui qui ne veut pas entendre.
And, forgive me for being rude here: I read that part of the paragraph very well and I don't necessarily believe it's the entire truth.
Ah... The black helicopters have arrived.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 12:43 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by NickB
Il n'y a de pire sourd que celui qui ne veut pas entendre.
Parfait.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?

Which begs the question - are you calling me a liar?

What possible proof do you have that I have not told the whole truth? Please, I'd like to hear it, since that's a pretty serious accusation. But since I also know that is the whole truth (and I'm in the best position to know), I fully expect an apology from you, since you cannot possibly have any proof to the contrary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.