Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Thinkpad T42 - can I output 1366 x 768 via VGA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2008, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC

I have a Thinkpad T42 and an Olevia LT37HVS tv with a VGA input. I would like to output the tv's native 1366 x 768 resolution via the VGA port on my laptop so I can watch on demand netflix movies without the image being a stretched 1024 x 768. I can't find any way in the display properties or the presentation director application to select such a resolution. Does anyone here have experience with making this work? I sure wish Netflix and Tivo would hook up so I don't have to go through this silliness. Thanks in advance.

- cheapo
Old Feb 8, 2008, 11:27 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
If your driver doesn't support that resolution (check that you are current on drivers first) then you will have to use Powerstrip to create a custom mode and use that. If you don't know what I am talking about, stop and forget about it. Powerstrip is quite capable of doing serious damage to your TV and/or laptop if used incorrectly. That's the power part. I would be very surprised if your driver doesn't support it (are you sure you are configuring the 2nd display, and not the 1st which is the laptop screen)?
Old Feb 8, 2008, 11:53 am

Programs: SU Bonus, SK EBG, BD Silver, HH Diamond
For what it's worth. I have T60 and some Phillips 42" LCD with native resolution of 1366 x 768. Using "presentation director" (Fn+F7) i have setted up my Thinkpad to output 1280x768 on VGA. Works flawlessly, the movie is displayed in it's native resolution (1280x720, i.e. 720p), with small black bars on top and bottom. LCD TV with such native resolution are specifically made to scale incoming image, because 1366 x 768 is not standard HDTV resolution. The standard is either 1280x720 (720p), or 1920x1080 (1080p)
Old Feb 8, 2008, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
These are the options under my presentation director, which has been updated to the latest version:

Image Here
Old Feb 8, 2008, 12:32 pm

Programs: SU Bonus, SK EBG, BD Silver, HH Diamond
Well, try 1280x1024 and see what will happen.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

My TV won't take it. My primary problem isn't the resolution so much as the aspect ratio. I'm trying to find a way to set it to something that more closely approximates the 16:9, thus nothing on that list.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 12:54 pm

Programs: Dirt
Looks like Presentation Director only works with standard resolutions.

Try to do it through ATI's Catalyst Control Center. You can launch it via the ATI icon in the system tray or right click on the desktop. If you don't have CCC you probably need to get new drivers.

In CCC, go in Advance Mode, select Displays Manager on the left and change the desktop area on the right to 1366x768 (if available) or 1280x720.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

I do have the latest available driver for the T42 and I don't have anything labeled Catalyst Control Center.

I have searched high and low through every page in my display settings and under all of the items in the ATI control panel icon and can't find anything that will let me set a custom resolution or anything other than 4:3 aspect ratio. I'm not an idiot. I just want to find out if someone has had any success doing this with a T42 specifically....

Screenshot 2

Screenshot 3
Old Feb 8, 2008, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
To the OP: I don't use a ThinkPad or an Olevia, but I am doing PC to HDTV. The problem wasn't the PC, but my Toshiba TV's available resolutions when using the VGA input: nothing but 4x3 modes, maxed at 1024 x 768. It just letterboxed all VGA modes.

To get 720P, 1080i or 1080P TV resolutions I needed to use the TV's HDMI inputs, which (for me) required a new video card with a DVI output. As it happens, that's an ATI Radeon blah blah with Catalyst Control Center. CCC has a check box to limit card outputs to HDTV resolutions. Lastly, the TV manual said TV on first, then PC output. The TV's very fussy about the handshake.

Best of luck.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 1:39 pm

I see. I guess either ATI didn't release CCC for Radeon 9000 series or Lenovo left out CCC.

I don't have a machine with the old ATI control panel to try it, but I would look in the ATI Displays tab for resolution options for the "Generic Television" device. The Options tab may contain a checkbox to enable HDTV resolutions.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

If that is the case, that would pretty well seal the deal. No way to really change my video card on a laptop. If I got adventurous I could bring my port replicator home from work and try a DVI-to-HDMI adapter, but even on my DVI output it doesn't seem to show those resolutions. I guess that unless I hear from someone who has actually been able to make a T42 do this with a non 4:3 resolution, I'm going to assume the answer is no. Thanks for that info.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by msb0b
I see. I guess either ATI didn't release CCC for Radeon 9000 series or Lenovo left out CCC.

I don't have a machine with the old ATI control panel to try it, but I would look in the ATI Displays tab for resolution options for the "Generic Television" device. The Options tab may contain a checkbox to enable HDTV resolutions.
Unfortunately, it doesn't.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 1:50 pm

I found this thread on Lenovo's forum. Give it a try?
Old Feb 8, 2008, 2:45 pm

Programs: United Platinum
T42s can do at least some widescreen modes

I'm at work, and my T42 is at home, so I'll have to check on 1366x768 later, but I have used my T42 for a long time with a 1920x1080 widescreen LCD as a 2nd monitor, and that definitely works.

I have found there's some oddities around either Windows or the T42 trying to be smart and auto-sense the appropriate resolutions to use. Sometimes I've had to disconnect the external monitor, reboot, reconnect, reboot again, etc for a few iterations in order to get the list of available resolutions to include the widescreen modes. So you may want to try that as well.

I've got a 1366x768 LCD TV at home in my workout room, I'll try hooking up my T42 to it and let you know what happens.

Bob
Old Feb 10, 2008, 12:21 am

Programs: United Platinum
Originally Posted by bpratt
I'm at work, and my T42 is at home, so I'll have to check on 1366x768 later, but I have used my T42 for a long time with a 1920x1080 widescreen LCD as a 2nd monitor, and that definitely works.

I have found there's some oddities around either Windows or the T42 trying to be smart and auto-sense the appropriate resolutions to use. Sometimes I've had to disconnect the external monitor, reboot, reconnect, reboot again, etc for a few iterations in order to get the list of available resolutions to include the widescreen modes. So you may want to try that as well.

I've got a 1366x768 LCD TV at home in my workout room, I'll try hooking up my T42 to it and let you know what happens.

Bob

When I got home, I realized I had a T41, not 42. But for what its worth, it was able to do 16x9 aspect ratios, but only if I booted it while a widescreen monitor was attached. I'm using an ATI Radeon 9000 video adapter, and have Microsoft's power tools and ultramon video mgmt software installed as well as the latest ATI drivers, in case any of those made the difference

If I boot it without a widescreen monitor attached, I can't select any widescreen modes. Don't know why, its the magic of Windows auto-sensing, I suppose.

Bob

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.