Wiki Posts
Search

Subtle Decline in ps First Class Product

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2008, 1:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thumbs down Subtle Decline in ps First Class Product

I've taken four ps First flights in the past three weeks, and it got me thinking what aspects of the product have been taken away, bit by bit, over the past year or so. Some recent developments I noticed this month are more pronounced and prompted this thread.

Some observations:
  • Hot appetizer now only provided at dinner (not lunch)
  • Hot topping gone from salad course
  • Quality International F gold linens have been replaced with domestic white
  • First now also receiving salt and pepper PACKETS like C and domestic F (yesterday's flight had NO salt/pepper boarded)
  • Bread choices now dramatically reduced to two different kinds of white rolls; focaccia and other interesting breads (pretzel?) long gone
  • Bread served cold or barely warm, and ice cold after the first service
  • Last flight had only one red and one white from the F list boarded; served Business Class wine to "fill out the selections"
  • Second towel service inconsistent at best
  • Fourth entree choice for F gone
  • Two of three entrees are (T)rotter, which are revolting
  • Every entree I've seen on ps I've also seen offered on two-class F transcons; ps used to have differentiated entrees
  • Towel service done from plastic storage trays; silver bowels gone
  • Cheese board gone; cheese selections pre-plated and small, like C
  • Seats are in horrific condition; dirty, wobbling, falling apart
  • Tray table now completely unable to support weight of a laptop, resulting in dramatic slant when using computer (this is due to the right and left arm-rests being at different heights - major design flaw UA refuses to address)
  • RCC at SFO unaware I was entitled to access with ps F BP; once asked them to check profile and second time, just used LH card

I think there are others, but this is just off the top of my head.

While I think some of these things maybe on purpose, I also get the sense that no one is really "watching over" the quality of the ps product to ensure it remains at a highly differentiated level from domestic F and ps C, and that means not just the seat. I get the sense that unless someone at UA serves as a champion of keeping the product special, the law of gravity will just bring it down. That seems to be happening.

ps F is still the best transcon product (save CX JFK-YVR), but it's falling quickly. I can't really see how it's much better than CO BusinessFirst seating (EWR-LAX) with their outstanding two-class F soft product ($650 vs. ps' $2500 pricetag). Sad to see this happen; the product was so outstanding on the old 762's before ps was launched. I wish someone at UA were taking care to keep this product special, but it feels to me like they're not...

Anyway, a slight rant, but I'm curious what other frequent users of this service feel? On board service continues to be good, except for last night's which featured one of those FA's that like to just hand you everything and refuses to actually serve it on your tray...
Old Feb 2, 2008, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Don't forget

Dessert now only consists of typical domestic Sundae with toppings. No more hot pies (rhubarb, tart etc) a la mode.

Breakfast is the same - now the same as transcon except served on flat dish. It used to have some great choices like amond crusted apple pancakes with sausages, canadian bacon, and potatoes.

Unexcusable, considering the price has not gone down since p.s. introduction.

I used to like p.s. F meal service a lot, but now CO EWR-LAX is better in F (if you get the BF configurated planes)
Old Feb 2, 2008, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Do you feel it is just decreasing in F... or is it throught the whole PS system?
Old Feb 2, 2008, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Do you feel it is just decreasing in F... or is it throught the whole PS system?
C hasn't really changed much since introduction. Meals have been about the same quality (except the bread selection, but that's a system wide decline )

Y, well, I havn't flown Y on p.s., but they did take the meal away

Btw, hot toppings on salad has been completely removed on int'l F as well. Either you have the amuse bouche (hot appetizers) with salad with no toppings, OR salad with hot toppings but NO amuse bouche.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 1:18 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
That Charlie Trotter Lamb Shoulder crap is disgusting. Can't say I have noticed a decline in F, as I have flown ps F only a handful of times, I tend to be relegated (sic) to C and that seems to be pretty consistent. The only thing that really annoys me is when they don't board the wines that are on the menus.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA PLT
Rapidly declining

I completely agree with your post and have experienced similar disappointment with the PS F class. Here's my mini-rant:

OLCI offeres buy up from full C to F, so I take it on a dinner flight from SFO to JFK. Assigned F seat is completely inop (FA says there was a bulletin on it on the prior flight...no power at all.) I ask for a downgrade to C, but it's full, so the FA finds a NRSA in row 3 and forces him to trade with me.

NRSA is NOT HAPPY . I overhear the conversation from my seat, and the FA orders him to move or he'll be reported to his mgmt. Ugly, uncomfortable, embarrasing for all. NRSA proceeds to glare at me for the rest of the 5 hour flight. His cost for the seat - $0, my cost for the seat, $2000+. I'm the one who should be angry.

Anyway, his seat wasn't much better. One of the motors was inop, carpets stained, and it was sticky.

The JFK based FA's could not have rushed the service more - it was as if we were in a Jack in the Box drive through. Food quality was average at best and we also had one wine choice, paper envelopes for salt/pepper, one towel service, and no topping for the ice cream.

I was very proud of UA when they introduced this unique PS product. It's very sad to see it decline in such a dramatic way. Maybe someone in UA mgmt will pick up the ball again and revive it. Time will tell. In the meantime, I'm avoiding the F cabin.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fly UA MM 1K, Sleep Hyatt & IHG, Hertzer. 2022 Flyertalk Fantasy Football Champion
I've rotated through all 3 cabins in the last 12 months (although only 4 times in Y), most in C or F. Aside from the seat, I really don't feel much difference between C and F. The differences are so subtle in fact, that it's becoming difficult to notice. Overall, it's "O.K." but it is nothing when compared to P.S. a few years back. Econ on the other hand is an absolute joke. The only differences are the E+ at each row and the power outlets. I was shocked to find out there is no meal service on P.S. in econ - what makes P.S. econ any different from standard Y?
Old Feb 2, 2008, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by TravelManKen
what makes P.S. econ any different from standard Y?
Average of lavs/passenger higher. That is about it.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only differences are the E+ at each row and the power outlets. I was shocked to find out there is no meal service on P.S. in econ - what makes P.S. econ any different from standard Y?
I think you answered your own questions.

But really, the focus of p.s. should be C and F -- economy is economy. A shame that service levels in all three cabins are dropping like it's hot.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
The only differences are the E+ at each row and the power outlets. I was shocked to find out there is no meal service on P.S. in econ - what makes P.S. econ any different from standard Y?
IIRC, although it is all E+... it is the smallest E+ in the fleet. (right?)

Also, do all PS flights offer BOB? or just meal times?
Old Feb 2, 2008, 1:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
it is the smallest E+ in the fleet. (right?)
Yes. While mainline and TED offer E+ and E-, p.s. only offers E.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 2:40 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
The decline isnt subtle, it's significant. It's sad to say that really the only differentiating factor is a flat seat, but when those are inop so often, it's hard to even rely on that.

I'd take CO F transcon on a BF onfigured 757-200 that they now run daily on the LAX-EWR route ANY day over p.s. F. (or C). The soft product is better and it's cheaper by a mile.

Hell, I'd take domestic UA F any day over paying for a p.s. Z fare which have gotten outlandishly expensive over the last year or so. Save for the seat, the service is similar. $1400 for an A fare LAX-SFO-EWR-SFO-LAX is a better choice, even with a connection (not to mention more miles and EQM's).
Old Feb 2, 2008, 2:51 pm

Is PS working for United

I suspect it is not. It is notable that PS has not expanded at all since its introduction. Surely, if it were a money maker, United would have introduced it onto other transcons. With all the fare pressure on the CA-NY routes from JB and VA, I doubt United is able to charge enough extra to make up for the loss of seats. I would not be at all surprised if PS slowly disappears in the next 12 months.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 2:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oswaldjacoby
Surely, if it were a money maker, United would have introduced it onto other transcons.
This is incorrect. Before ps, there was Premium Transcon for YEARS serving onlu LAX and SFO. AA is the same. I never expected ps beyond those three cities. ps is packed with paid C and F, to be honest, and fares are sky high. That said, ps C fares have almost doubled since launch, while F is only up very little. Interesting...

Last edited by BenjaminNYC; Feb 2, 2008 at 3:06 pm
Old Feb 2, 2008, 3:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TonySCV
I'd take CO F transcon on a BF onfigured 757-200 that they now run daily on the LAX-EWR route ANY day over p.s. F. (or C). The soft product is better and it's cheaper by a mile.

Hell, I'd take domestic UA F any day over paying for a p.s. Z fare which have gotten outlandishly expensive over the last year or so. Save for the seat, the service is similar. $1400 for an A fare LAX-SFO-EWR-SFO-LAX is a better choice, even with a connection (not to mention more miles and EQM's).
Yeah... starting to feel the same. Had a seat on CO BF the other day, and chose ps F insead. Not sure if I'd do the same again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.