Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OZ awards seems to be blocked on UA *net

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2008, 1:47 am
Original Poster

OZ awards seems to be blocked on UA *net

I have been wrestling with this problem since yesterday where I see Asiana (OZ) awards on ANA and on OZ's mileage program. ICN-LAX, ICN-SFO, ICN-JFK available in F or C. UA agents can't even see the flights, let alone see any availability.

So far, what's accurate on ANA's tool is AC and SQ availability.

Nontheless, it's really frustrating when more and more *A airline awards are not being available with UA miles.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 2:07 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Smile

Originally Posted by brahms77
Nontheless, it's really frustrating when more and more *A airline awards are not being available with UA miles.
They just don't like us....
Old Jan 30, 2008, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
UA agents can't even see the flights, let alone see any availability.
That's a clear sign StarNet is filtering, agents don't see the flights come up.

You might search past threads on StarNet, it's a long shot and agents aren't supposed to do it, but there are some strategies for requesting the agent try a manual sell in those threads.

It really does seem as though StarNet fliltering has become more of a problem compared to, say, 2006.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 4:57 am
Suspended

I have been wrestling with this problem since yesterday where I see Asiana (OZ) awards on ANA and on OZ's mileage program. ICN-LAX, ICN-SFO, ICN-JFK available in F or C. UA agents can't even see the flights, let alone see any availability.

So far, what's accurate on ANA's tool is AC and SQ availability.

:UA:
Old Jan 30, 2008, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Okay, booked a completely new set of award.

BKK-SIN-HKG-YYZ-BOS-YYZ-HKG-SIN-BKK. AC and SQ.

Again, I can be very certain (99.9999%) that AC awards and SQ 11 and SQ 12 awards (to and from LAX-NRT) when showed available on ANA tool, IS available with UA.

Other carriers are certainly subject to UA filtering.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Forgot to add. Pretty much all of the intra-asian flights on (even OZ), NH, TG, SQ reflect accurate available on UA when viewed as available on ANA tool.

So, a summary:

ANA vs UA *net

1) Usually SQ availabilities match (in all cabins) especially LAX-NRT-LAX route (this will soon be filtered when SQ brings A380 to this route. )
2) TG flights (except for intra-asia) are not accurate (50-50 for JFK/LAX-BKK routes) and almost always never for BKK-Europe routes
3) OZ flights (except for intra-asia) also are now being filtered for over the water segments (ICN-LAX/JFK/SEA/SFO/ORD). OZ used to be well represented... but this no longer is the case.
4) AC's availability matches very well and if ANA is available UA will have it.
5) LH (70-30). Usually matches, but I've had several cases where LH F awards were not available on FRA-LAX, etc when ANA showed availability.
6) LX, CA, etc cannot be viewed on ANA so no comment.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 8:09 am
Suspended

5) LH (70-30). Usually matches, but I've had several cases where LH F awards were not available on FRA-LAX, etc when ANA showed availability.
Nice summary, but the above point is totally inaccurate. I am LH SEN, and for intra-EU awards, LH will often have up to a dozen options per day for my chosen city pair (C or Y), while UA will show NADA. On TATL, UA will often "not see the flight", while LH will make several options available to me in F.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Nice summary, but the above point is totally inaccurate. I am LH SEN, and for intra-EU awards, LH will often have up to a dozen options per day for my chosen city pair (C or Y), while UA will show NADA. On TATL, UA will often "not see the flight", while LH will make several options available to me in F.
BJ, I've had very limited experience with LH awards but recently, when I inquired about LH F awards (in the past six months), non were available via UA even though ANA showed availability. The last time I was able to get LH F award (ANA vs. UA) was back in 2005. So, I guess based on OUR experiences, now, LH awards are being filtered.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 9:25 am

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
I was able to ticket an itin PHX-LAX-ICN-SIN and return w/ LAX-ICN and ICN-LAX on OZ in F and ICN-SIN on SQ, so my own experience has been that I had no problems getting OZ F overwater awards...

Of course, I cancelled it last week, so perhaps I should've left it if they're that rare...

This was two weeks ago.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vysean
I was able to ticket an itin PHX-LAX-ICN-SIN and return w/ LAX-ICN and ICN-LAX on OZ in F and ICN-SIN on SQ, so my own experience has been that I had no problems getting OZ F overwater awards...

Of course, I cancelled it last week, so perhaps I should've left it if they're that rare...

This was two weeks ago.
It may be because of the "time period" I was looking for an award (end of February - perhaps blackout date?!). But it's hard to believe that UA can't see any space in C or Y when with OZ miles, I can find 7 and 9 C and Y seats available for an award + ANA tool availability.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 9:32 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Forgot to add. Pretty much all of the intra-asian flights on (even OZ), NH, TG, SQ reflect accurate available on UA when viewed as available on ANA tool.

So, a summary:

ANA vs UA *net

1) Usually SQ availabilities match (in all cabins) especially LAX-NRT-LAX route (this will soon be filtered when SQ brings A380 to this route. )
2) TG flights (except for intra-asia) are not accurate (50-50 for JFK/LAX-BKK routes) and almost always never for BKK-Europe routes
3) OZ flights (except for intra-asia) also are now being filtered for over the water segments (ICN-LAX/JFK/SEA/SFO/ORD). OZ used to be well represented... but this no longer is the case.
4) AC's availability matches very well and if ANA is available UA will have it.
6) LX, CA, etc cannot be viewed on ANA so no comment.
Great summary! I agree on SQ's availability as well. *net pretty much matches ANA tool.

Another point: You hardly get NH C over the water through *net. An agent was willing to do a manual sell for me (after calling in for like 6-7 times)! I've tried too many times for OZ but the agent wasn't willing to do a manual sell.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 9:37 am

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
It may be because of the "time period" I was looking for an award (end of February - perhaps blackout date?!). But it's hard to believe that UA can't see any space in C or Y when with OZ miles, I can find 7 and 9 C and Y seats available for an award + ANA tool availability.
My dates were outbound on or around 11/22 and 12/7 return. I had used ANA to verify availability on all segments. Not sure why Feb would be blacked out?

Incidentally, I've found ANA availability versus what UA can see via StarNet to be 99% the same. The only segments UA couldn't see were on an LHR-SYD award when I tried to pull some creative routings. They couldn't see either a CPH-DXB or the DXB-BOM-BKK segment, despite ANA showing availability.

I've had bad luck getting LX seats, but since I can't check inventory on ANA, I don't really know if they *should* be available or not.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 10:51 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
At this time of year UA-Starnet sometimes "loses" the entire LH award inventory, as if UAMP had hit a credit-limit for LH awards. They may all reappear in a week or two.

The blocking of TG, OZ, and premium classes transpacific is for individual flights and classes, which are permanently blacked out and will never reappear.

It's a giveaway that the evil StarNet programmer has been at work, when the agent says "I don't see that flight".
Old Jan 30, 2008, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Well, for OZ's ICN-JFK route, the aircraft is now retrofitted with new F and C and Y, which may suggest that OZ is doing what SQ is doing with their 77Ws and A380s.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 11:39 am
Suspended

Just had the same thing.. ANA shows OZ from SFO and LAX in J, Agent can't see the flights.. refusing Manuel sell..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.