Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place Chantilly/Dulles Airport – South - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's

Just back from a stay there this weekend and have to say this HP is NOT ready for prime time... Although this property has been branded a HP for over 4 months, all thats completed are the guest rooms. Having had several good stays a the Dulles North location and knowing how long it took to finish that conversion, I thought this property would have been done.

I was disappointed that the only indication on the web site that the renovations are not complete and construction is still ongoing is the following "Enjoy our new modern, spacious guestrooms and complimentary continental breakfast. Our full food and beverage service will be available beginning in March."

When I checked in and asked about the business center, the front desk attendant pointed to the construction and said "it'll be there in a few months". I also noticed a commendation from some local charity to the Ameri-Suites prominently displayed at the check-in desk. Nothing like promoting the old brand... There was also no indication of my Diamond Status on the receipt or recognition thereof by the attendant.

Rooms are done in typical style, however the maid service at this property needs some work. There was a used bar of soap "hiding" behind the shower curtain, but I managed to find it. The coffee mugs had old coffee splashes on them (yes, they got the hot water washing before I used them!).

I didnt try breakfast as I was headed to a DO and didnt want the "breakfast in the conference room" experience.

Until this HP is done (scheduld for April) I'd stay away and book the Hyatt Place Sterling/Dulles Airport-North. Both are about the same distance from Dulles.

Last edited by thezipper; Jan 22, 2008 at 10:56 pm
Old Jan 23, 2008, 4:30 pm
IADSIN

Thumbs down

The "Hyatt Place/Dulles South" generally should be avoided as of January 2008. The property hasn't fully converted to "Hyatt Place", and the staff are neither forthright nor entirely truthful with customers.

They have misled folks about their IAD shuttle, room readiness, and other things. There are a number of Hyatt options that would be closer to IAD, better, or both.

The one exception might be for folks travelling on a government-discount rate to visit the government site in the Chantilly area. In that case, the location of Hyatt Place/Dulles SOUTH and the discounted room rate might make it a reasonable choice.

My belief is that the Hyatt Place/Dulles NORTH is a bit closer to IAD in travel time than this Hyatt Place/Dulles SOUTH, especially during commute times. The Hyatt Place/Dulles NORTH is a good property and is a better option within that tier of hotel.

The closest Hyatt property to IAD is the Hyatt/Dulles. Frequent patrons should note well that the Hyatt/Dulles is *NOT* a "Regency", "Grand", or "Park" property so does NOT have a club floor.

Old Feb 27, 2008, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by IADSIN
They have misled folks about their IAD shuttle, room readiness, and other things.
Can you elaborate a bit more about the Shuttle problems??
Appreciate.
Cheers.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 3:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
was this the same $71 as HP IAD North
Old Mar 6, 2008, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
The "Hyatt Place/Dulles South" generally should be avoided as of January 2008. The property hasn't fully converted to "Hyatt Place", and the staff are neither forthright nor entirely truthful with customers.
. . .
My belief is that the Hyatt Place/Dulles NORTH is a bit closer to IAD in travel time than this Hyatt Place/Dulles SOUTH, especially during commute times. The Hyatt Place/Dulles NORTH is a good property and is a better option within that tier of hotel.
I agree with both of these points. I stayed here last night, and the lobby was still under construction. They had breakfast in the meeting room, but it's amazing how slowly this seems to be ramping up.

I didn't use the airport shuttle, but noticed a van parked out front, so I imagine that it was available.

The closest Hyatt property to IAD is the Hyatt/Dulles. Frequent patrons should note well that the Hyatt/Dulles is *NOT* a "Regency", "Grand", or "Park" property so does NOT have a club floor.
Ditto for the Hyatt Fair Lakes nearby. Funny, until now I never knew that there was such a thing as a non-Regency Hyatt (aside from Grand or Park of course). The Fair Lakes is a very mediocre property all around.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 9:20 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I've done two stays here this year, the most recent being last night on a $71 G1 rate after a UA SFO-IAD flight. I was initially given a room key that did not work, but came back downstairs and that was quickly resolved.

I called for an airport pickup when I exited the front doors and it took 25 minutes. Pretty sure it took about the same on the previous visit. Plan accordingly if flying into IAD, as they are about a 15 minute drive from the airport. They told me the shuttles run on the :15 and :45 from the hotel, and I was the sole passenger at 10:15 this morning (connecting to the 5A Rosslyn bus at 10:40). The driver suggested I let the hotel know in advance that I would need a shuttle, so not sure how firm these departures times are. Perhaps they may not run at all if there aren't passengers requesting a shuttle?

There's a couple restaurants in the strip mall in front, including a Texas Roadhouse, a franchise I had not been to before, and an Applebee's. The Texas Roadhouse offers a 10% discount with a hotel key. They featured steaks, and you could select your own from a display window on entry, but I had chicken fried chicken with country gravy and two side dishes instead priced at $9.99. They did have some employee dance number while I was there where they all lined up and danced to country music (Tom doesn't do country), so be prepared for that.

The Safeway store that was across the street has closed in the last few weeks.

Old Sep 4, 2009, 9:24 pm

The closest Hyatt property to IAD is the Hyatt/Dulles.
That was my first stay around IAD this year, and I was disappointed there weren't any restaurants within walking distance (at least none that I could see). At least there's some options down in this direction if you're on foot.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tom911
That was my first stay around IAD this year, and I was disappointed there weren't any restaurants within walking distance (at least none that I could see). At least there's some options down in this direction if you're on foot.
Tom,

How were the rooms and breakfast at this property? Is it now up to snuff, other than the shuttle?
Old Sep 28, 2009, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
How were the rooms and breakfast at this property? Is it now up to snuff, other than the shuttle?
At Chantilly? Typical Hyatt Place breakfast, just like the one I had in Fremont yesterday morning (cereal, bagel/toast, juice, yogurt), and the rooms were clean on all my stays, and wi-fi worked perfectly. I haven't ordered any of the hot items to comment on those. As I've been there on weekends or holiday periods (3 times this year) never a crowd for breakfast. I'd stay here again if I book into or out of Dulles, as it's easy enough to get there from DC with public transit, and I do like the restaurant options within walking distance compared to Hyatt Dulles.

The one thing I have noticed at other Hyatt Places is there are "peak" times for breakfast, generally 9am-10am on weekends, where it can get pretty crowded and become an obstacle course, particularly if you're trying to select and toast a bagel (Rancho Cordova and Fremont experience this). I don't do weekday stays to say if it's the same on that side.

edited to add: HERE are all the photos I took there this month.

Last edited by tom911; Sep 28, 2009 at 3:55 pm
Old Sep 28, 2009, 3:53 pm
Suspended

At Chantilly? Typical Hyatt Place breakfast, just like the one I had in Fremont yesterday morning (cereal, bagel/toast, juice, yogurt), and the rooms were clean on all my stays, and wi-fi worked perfectly. I haven't ordered any of the hot items to comment on those. As I've been there on weekends or holiday periods (3 times this year) never a crowd for breakfast. I'd stay here again if I book into or out of Dulles, as it's easy enough to get there from DC with public transit, and I do like the restaurant options within walking distance compared to Hyatt Dulles.

The one thing I have noticed at other Hyatt Places is there are "peak" times for breakfast, generally 9am-10am on weekends, where it can get pretty crowded and become an obstacle course, particularly if you're trying to select and toast a bagel (Rancho Cordova and Fremont experience this). I don't do weekday stays to say if it's the same on that side.
Thanks much. Am planning a matress run for FFNs and it comes up some weekends on AAA at $59.00!
Old Oct 10, 2009, 10:45 pm
Suspended

TOM,

Did you get the G1 bonus for this property on your most recent stay here?

I ask because seemingly, this property has been removed from the G bonuses now!

Thanks,

NJ
Old Oct 10, 2009, 11:31 pm

Did you get the G1 bonus for this property on your most recent stay here?
Yes, I did, but that was back on September 3rd and 7th. I noticed once before that the bonuses may be taken off the website a week or two before they expire if you're running into something like that. I've still got credit for them.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 5:26 am
Suspended

Yes, I did, but that was back on September 3rd and 7th. I noticed once before that the bonuses may be taken off the website a week or two before they expire if you're running into something like that. I've still got credit for them.
Thanks very much. I could have sworn that it was recently listed as going thru Novmber 30, but perhaps I was mistaken.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Thanks very much. I could have sworn that it was recently listed as going thru Novmber 30, but perhaps I was mistaken.
That is what I saw too. I spent last night there on a $59 rate. My second HP stay (Other was El Paso). Nothing much to add other than there is one problem with these hotels that make me shy away from booking them… MISERABLE DOOR SLAMMING. Due to the lack of an entry area in the room the entry door is, with the possible exception of the TV, the focal point of the living room portion of the room an hence makes the door slamming all the more annoying.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 9:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by schriste
That is what I saw too. I spent last night there on a $59 rate. My second HP stay (Other was El Paso). Nothing much to add other than there is one problem with these hotels that make me shy away from booking them… MISERABLE DOOR SLAMMING. Due to the lack of an entry area in the room the entry door is, with the possible exception of the TV, the focal point of the living room portion of the room an hence makes the door slamming all the more annoying.
Thanks for clearning that up for me, it was driving me crazy because I swore I saw it, but it is not there now!

Bad news is that I e-mailed GP and they advised that notwithstanding that you and I agree it was there and that it was to run thru 11/30, GP has advised me that it is not participating.

I hope that you get the bonus, as well.

FWIW, the HP East Dulles -- next to the Sheraton Herndon Dulles and managed by the same company -- has a 15% off sale running for some dates. It has a weekend non-refundable rate of $59.50 which was good for me as the 30% sale only started for dates post 10/25 and I was planning to stay at this property prior to that start date. So, those of you who may think of staying in the area in the next 2 weeks may consider this option. In addtion -- at least as of now, it has a G3 bonus to boot!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.