Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airport Employees Not Subject to Security??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2008, 6:51 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport
Original Poster

Airport Employees Not Subject to Security??

I was meeting my mother outside of security today and during the 20 min or so wait, I saw probably close to 100 airport employees (TSA, US Customs, Pilots, FAs, GAs, Ramp Workers, Airport Store workers) enter the secure area using their badge and presumably some code without passing through security. Also, no checking of ID by the TSA manning the secure area exit. Note that this means absolutely no verification at all of these people entering the secure area. And many of them were openly carrying Coffee Cups & cans of Soda.

I wouldn't have any problem with this if it was limited to certain airport personnel that they can do a very thorough security screening on (perhaps TSA, US Customs, "some" airline personnel) but certainly not down to Airport Store workers and certainly with at least ID checks.

I'm just shocked that they allow this but subject flyers to much of the nonsense at security checks.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 7:08 pm

Programs: Delta DM
nope, if it is their home base they don't have to go thru the WMD's. They get to take all the liquids they want, travel is on their honor system. They have gone thru their 10 yr background checks (you would think). I think they just said that a TSA agent now has to HANDLE their ID before they could pass thru the gratter.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sort of OT, but sort of not...

One thing that really annoys me is when you have soldiers (or people dressed as soldiers) traveling in their BDU's wearing combat boots. No one ever makes them take off their combat boots. Yet, I have to take off my flip-flops? ...?
Old Jan 16, 2008, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by bhatnasx
Sort of OT, but sort of not...

One thing that really annoys me is when you have soldiers (or people dressed as soldiers) traveling in their BDU's wearing combat boots. No one ever makes them take off their combat boots. Yet, I have to take off my flip-flops? ...?
Of all the things to be jealous over, this is the most petty. They present military ID for this "perk". I wonder if while they are sitting in Iraq avoiding IED's and snipers, if they get annoyed at people over here in the safety of their home complaining about their flip-flops. I'll ask my son the next time he is allowed a phone call. Until then, instead of worrying about who's slice of pie is bigger, just thank one of them for their service...it'll make you feel better. Back to the regularly scheduled TSA bashing.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 7:57 pm

When I had my internship at GRB over summer of 2007, I would move from the public side to the sterile side of the airport frequently, and was never subject to a search from TSA. It was basically an honor system. However, some TSOs did check my airport badge while in the sterile side, as I would always challenge them for theirs as well. But I could take liquids and food, on basically scout's honor. I could go through the checkpoint like every other passenger if I felt like it, which I did sometimes... but for the most part I did not. Other employees were able to do the same.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 9:37 pm

Programs: SPG Gold;NWA gold;Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by peteropny
I'm just shocked that they allow this but subject flyers to much of the nonsense at security checks.
They are also not allowed on a flight unless they go through a checkpoint. I know at MSP, they have badge readers by the WMD and employees scan their badges right before passing through to prove they went through it. I've also seen plenty of store/wheelchair pushers/non-airline agents going through the WMD at MSP, so it looks like they may not exclude as many as some airports..
Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by goaliemn
They are also not allowed on a flight unless they go through a checkpoint. I know at MSP, they have badge readers by the WMD and employees scan their badges right before passing through to prove they went through it. I've also seen plenty of store/wheelchair pushers/non-airline agents going through the WMD at MSP, so it looks like they may not exclude as many as some airports..
What is to stop an employee from skipping the WMD and bringing in a gun or a bomb to give to an accomplice who is flying? This makes the entire security show a joke.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 12:18 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
Yes it is impossible for someone with ill intent to fake a military ID or even get access to a REAL Military ID. Also no one can go on the internet or just walk into a army surplus store and buy themselves some military uniforms. It's not possible.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 6:11 am

Programs: SPG Gold;NWA gold;Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by dfw_plt_aa
What is to stop an employee from skipping the WMD and bringing in a gun or a bomb to give to an accomplice who is flying? This makes the entire security show a joke.
10 year background check.. fingerprint check.. random security checks inside the sterile area.. Its not a free for all. There are some checks in place, and lately, from what I've read in the media, more and more random checks are being done and some airports are screening some of their employees regularly.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 6:51 am

Programs: SWA RR & CP ; Priority Club Platinum
10 year background check.. fingerprint check.. random security checks inside the sterile area.. Its not a free for all. There are some checks in place, and lately, from what I've read in the media, more and more random checks are being done and some airports are screening some of their employees regularly.
A background check is only good IF you have been caught before. If this is your first time doing something wrong, OR you have never been caught doing something wrong, a background check is nearly useless.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:40 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport
Original Poster

What I saw was pretty close to free for all - even "kids" in store uniforms. I would not have been "bothered" if it was more limited and there was actually someone checking the ID badges. I find it quite appalling that "kids" working part-time at close to minimum wages can access the sterile area without anyone so much as looking at their IDs. What if the airport ID badge was stolen etc. From what I've seen, I would guess that close to 10,000 people have access without anyone even checking their ID badges at this airport.

Originally Posted by Gwaehur
A background check is only good IF you have been caught before. If this is your first time doing something wrong, OR you have never been caught doing something wrong, a background check is nearly useless.
I would venture a guess that the 9/11 terrorists do not have a criminal record in the US prior to 9/11.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by hiltonhead
Of all the things to be jealous over, this is the most petty. They present military ID for this "perk". I wonder if while they are sitting in Iraq avoiding IED's and snipers, if they get annoyed at people over here in the safety of their home complaining about their flip-flops. I'll ask my son the next time he is allowed a phone call. Until then, instead of worrying about who's slice of pie is bigger, just thank one of them for their service...it'll make you feel better. Back to the regularly scheduled TSA bashing.
What are you on about? I'm sure you'll agree that water quality inspectors, cancer researchers and even the developers of the internal combustion engine have done and continue doing more for humanity than any American kid in uniform in Iraq or even Soviet casualty of WW2 would hope to do.
In what is supposed to be an equitable polity, do you want them to receive special treatment in their dealings with the state?
I can agree with special treatment for those who have special needs (disabled etc), but to do it just because somebody choose one career over another is just pathetic...or just another little step on the road to fascism.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by graraps
What are you on about? I'm sure you'll agree that water quality inspectors, cancer researchers and even the developers of the internal combustion engine have done and continue doing more for humanity than any American kid in uniform in Iraq or even Soviet casualty of WW2 would hope to do.
In what is supposed to be an equitable polity, do you want them to receive special treatment in their dealings with the state?
I can agree with special treatment for those who have special needs (disabled etc), but to do it just because somebody choose one career over another is just pathetic...or just another little step on the road to fascism.

The military gets special treatment already. It's an unwritten policy on UA that if space allows, uniformed military personnel traveling on orders (or going home on leave), will get upgraded. Some airports, like DEN, allow uniformed military personnel to use the elite line. The military even have their own line at airports like ORD for immigration at the international terminal.

Letting them keep their shoes on is not a problem with me. I think it's completely embarrassing to have a TSAer manually search a uniformed soldier.

Not to mention it's impractical. Do you think there might be traces of explosives on their shoes. OF COURSE THERE WILL BE.

Soldiers are trained to do things with their bare hands and have survival skills that would trump any kind of prohibited item they would need if they wanted to take over the passenger area of a commercial aircraft, anyway.

As long as their orders and military ID are verifiable, I have no problem with them going through with shoes. I hold more respect for most active military members than I do for most TSAers.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:17 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JettaGT
When I had my internship at GRB over summer of 2007, I would move from the public side to the sterile side of the airport frequently, and was never subject to a search from TSA. It was basically an honor system. However, some TSOs did check my airport badge while in the sterile side, as I would always challenge them for theirs as well. But I could take liquids and food, on basically scout's honor. I could go through the checkpoint like every other passenger if I felt like it, which I did sometimes... but for the most part I did not. Other employees were able to do the same.
Originally Posted by Gwaehur
Welcome, both of you, to flyertalk! ^
Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:24 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by peteropny
What I saw was pretty close to free for all - even "kids" in store uniforms. I would not have been "bothered" if it was more limited and there was actually someone checking the ID badges. I find it quite appalling that "kids" working part-time at close to minimum wages can access the sterile area without anyone so much as looking at their IDs. What if the airport ID badge was stolen etc. From what I've seen, I would guess that close to 10,000 people have access without anyone even checking their ID badges at this airport.
There was the janitor ID scandal at ORD where one of the janitorial services employed by ORD had quite the revolving door with employees.

A new (illegal) hire was given a box of several dozen real ORD ID's from (legal) employees who moved on and was asked to "pick one that looked like him".

Due to the . . . homogeneity . . . of the employees the firm hired, finding an ID that looked like you was far from difficult.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.