Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

should ones middle name be on plane ticket to exactly match passport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2008, 7:22 am
Original Poster

one TA says name on ticket should exactly match name in passport--middle name and all. what do you say?
Old Jan 6, 2008, 8:00 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Hasn't happened to me yet. I have two middles names which appear on my passport, but most computerized systems only allow one middle initial. I just book with my first and last name, and even then in Asian countries they often address me as Mr. Peter (my first name) since my last name has a combination of consonants that is unpronounceable in their languages.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 8:55 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Some booking site does not even have a field for your middle initial, like Spirit Air's website.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 8:57 am

Programs: UA1k
I never use my middle name on the ticket but my passport has it; never had a problem until now.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by haniboo
one TA says name on ticket should exactly match name in passport--middle name and all. what do you say?
I say your TA doesn't travel much if he/she thinks that.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 9:02 am

Programs: Delta - but no longer travel for business like I did.
my tickets are booked Wm Roger (lastname) while my passport has my full name with the correct spelling (Rodger) of my middle name. Never been asked about it on numerous trips to europe and a few to asia. Or domestically by TSA.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 9:06 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
My middle name is generally absent from my tickets and that hasn't been a problem.

I think being absent (or replaced by an initial) is not a problem. But it IS a problem if they don't match.

I have a Chinese friend on a Chinese passport whose surname romanizes to just two letters and her first name to four letters. She told me that sometimes she's been queried as she does have a middle name in her passport and its always absent on the ticket. But she's never been denied.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 9:09 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Originally Posted by Rampo
and even then in Asian countries they often address me as Mr. Peter (my first name) since my last name has a combination of consonants that is unpronounceable in their languages.
Lucky you! I get that treatment because in "their" language my first name is something rude and they just can't resist saying it!
Old Jan 6, 2008, 11:39 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
My tickets are issued to [Firstname] [Lastname]. The only time my middle initial is added is whenever I am traveling with either my half-brother (who is also my business partner) or cousin (who is my main dive buddy) since we have the same exact first and last name. Then we add middle names.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Your TA is wrong. I don't even use my legal name on my tickets even though it's on my driver's license and passport. No one has even questioned it.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 1:16 pm

Programs: CO Gold
I dont even use my second last name (as all latin americans we have two lastnames, one from the father, one from the mother) in my tickets

It always confuses the heck out of the airlines so I rather make it simple.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 1:31 pm

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
I would go with whatever is coded in your passport.

Take a look at this sample passport photo page:

http://www.sabcs.org/TravelTransport...p_image001.gif

As you can see, Happy Traveler's passport has his name coded as follows:

P<USATRAVELER<<HAPPY<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

The P is for passport (as opposed to a national ID card or a refuge document or a visa), the USA should be fairly clear (on my own German passport it's P<D<<LASTNAME<<FIRSTNAME<<<<), and his last name and first name are separated by <<.

Let's say his name were Happy Go Lucky Traveler. Which name he should use depends on whether his passport is coded with <<TRAVELER<HAPPY<<<< or TRAVELER<<HAPPY<GO<LUCKY<<<.

I have three first names, but since my passport is only coded with the first name #1, that's the only one I put on my ticket. I don't muck about with initials either. Never been an issue.

Adding initials is only useful if you're unfortunate enough to end up on the no-fly list and want to differentiate your name from the blacklisted person's (or in the case given above where multiple family members have the same first name).

Just take a look at what the coding in your own passport says and take your cue from that.

Last edited by alex0683de; Jan 6, 2008 at 1:43 pm
Old Jan 6, 2008, 1:40 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
both my passport and d/l have my full middle name and sometimes my tix are booked with either my middle initial or no m/i but never my full middle name and i have never had a problem.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I've never used middle initial, middle name, or the "Jr." that's on my passport. I can't think of anywhere I've used my full middle name or "Jr.", other than my mortgage and brokerage account.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 3:14 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
My experience usually is that when I use the middle names as well, everybody asks which the first name is. So using one or both middle names creates more confusion than anything else. Of course they are in the passport but I don't use them on tickets or anything else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.