Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

COMPARISONS of the New CX FC Suite on the B777ER and the 747

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2008, 3:48 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold

I had the pleasure of experiencing Cathay's new First Class suites on the new B777-300ER and the 747A and would like to give you a quick comparisons.

Link to my Trip report here.

Link to the video with First class cabin.

Layout:
The B777 First class cabin has 6 Suites (with two rows of 1-1-1 seating layout) as compared to the 9 suites on the B747. Because there is a wall surrounding the middle suite, the window suites on the left hand side of the 777 are much more private than the ones located on the right hand side.

On the 747, i find the aisle to be very tight in rows 1 and 3 and the seats to be too close. The aisles on the B777 are definitely wider than the 747 and there is enough room for the cart service.

TV:
On the new B777 aircraft, the TV in each of the suites can now be fully extended in front so that it does not block the entrance to the suite. I have experience the problem on the 747 where the TV cannot not able to extend forwarded and this created a bit of awkwardness as the FA has to "stretch"over to place the meals onto the table. I was also told by the Tomoko, our FC purser, that they are experiencing some problems with the new Suite on the 747: ie seats not reclining, Entertainment system not working. I guess that happens when you launch a new product, but I am glad that CX has fixed some of the problems with the new aircraft delivery.

Washrooms:
The biggest letdown on the B777 is the washroom.The First class washrooms on the B777 are nowhere as big or as nice as the B747.There are two standard sized washrooms on the B777 and both are located across from each other. Of the two washrooms, only one has the new faucet, sink and tile flooring, while the other is the old washroom type.

CABIN AMBIENCE:
This one is a bit of a toss. While I really do like the space on the B777 - the high ceiling and wide Aisle, I do find a lot more traffic back and forth between the galley (located in front) and the Business cabin. I am slightly in favor for the 747.

Last edited by ACfly; Jan 1, 2008 at 8:15 pm Reason: Added video to youtube
Old Jan 1, 2008, 7:58 pm

Programs: CX DM / Marriott LT Titanium
www.youtube.com
Old Jan 6, 2008, 5:44 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Thanks, ACfly! ^ Amongst all the interesting and useful info you answered a question I had about which side has the entrance to the middle seats. (SeatExpert.com has it wrong BTW. ) Could you tell us which side has the snazzy bathroom?

All the seat maps for this plane that I have seen show 2A and 2K blocked. Are they reserved for CX elites? Or might I (as OW Gold) snag one by phoning up? For 2 people travelling together I like the idea of having the window seats on the left - almost like having your own private cabin!
Old Jan 6, 2008, 7:07 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
All the seat maps for this plane that I have seen show 2A and 2K blocked. Are they reserved for CX elites? Or might I (as OW Gold) snag one by phoning up? For 2 people travelling together I like the idea of having the window seats on the left - almost like having your own private cabin!
2A/K are probably blocked due to the baby bassinet position.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Thanks, ACfly! ^ Amongst all the interesting and useful info you answered a question I had about which side has the entrance to the middle seats. (SeatExpert.com has it wrong BTW. ) Could you tell us which side has the snazzy bathroom?

Hi Cheetah SA - The bathrooms are on the left hand side of the plane. They are right across from each other. The washroom on the left is the nicer and larger of the two. However, both have no windows and are standard size.

If there are two people travelling, I would advise the right hand side of the cabin - this will allow you to easily access each other. The "A" suites (Right hand side suites) has a wall preventing you from accessing easily someone sitting in the middle or far right side. I would recommend for couples to sit in suite 1A and 2A - you are in the private side of the aircraft partitioned of by the middle wall from the middle suites. Both are windows and very private You will not be interrupted by the other passengers.

As far as 2A/K seats being blocked... I know that on my flight, the relief pilot seat was 2K - and when I checked with Expertflyer, it always showed blocked. The reason why 2A is blocked is probably because someone else has selected the seat - I think this seat is blocked for elites. I had no problem selecting 2A, but once I did, the system showed blocked and taken.

Hope that helps
Old Jan 6, 2008, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
I dont see anything that it is a baby bassinet position.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 8:44 am
Original Member

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by sxc
I took 77W once too in F and I think I was also told that 2A/K are bassinet positions...but they're happy to release it as long as you agree that if there's really a baby in the end you'd agree to be reseated...
Old Jan 6, 2008, 8:51 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by ACfly
I dont see anything that it is a baby bassinet position.
If you have a look at the official seat maps you will see they are marked as baby seats.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 11:50 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
J class pod coffins

I just flew JNB - HKG in the new Biz class 747-400
Utter debacle
Too narrow Cannot hold up a newspaper
All face inwards so the windows are behind you
Cannot talk to your neighbour / kids / family
Food has to be served over the top of the PTVs
No swivel food tray unit so you are stuck there till the tray is taken away
Claustrophobic
No air ciculation
Triple seat belt unit awkward to attach
small curved area for your feet is not comfortable
at least they are now flat so I can give them 1 out of ten for that
Any person over 95 kgs is going to have a serious problem getting into these pod coffins
Old Jan 7, 2008, 1:45 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Marco Polo
I just flew JNB - HKG in the new Biz class 747-400
Utter debacle
Too narrow Cannot hold up a newspaper
All face inwards so the windows are behind you
Cannot talk to your neighbour / kids / family
Food has to be served over the top of the PTVs
No swivel food tray unit so you are stuck there till the tray is taken away
Claustrophobic
No air ciculation
Triple seat belt unit awkward to attach
small curved area for your feet is not comfortable
at least they are now flat so I can give them 1 out of ten for that
Any person over 95 kgs is going to have a serious problem getting into these pod coffins
There are numerous threads that discuss this, and I think most of us after traveling the new J pretty frequently have come around. I was repulsed the first time...and then grew to the point where now I actively avoid the old J whenever possible because of the sleep possibility with the new one. Yea, there are negatives but whatever.

However, good to hear 74A was on JNB...I posted a while back asking about that and I think someone said maybe it would be on the route in the winter time (HKG) but then taken off..any idea?
Old Jan 14, 2008, 4:41 am

Exclamation New Pod for the slim seats

I flew down on the 747 with the old sloping J seats - another CX cost cutting joke
(at least you could get up when you wanted) and the new 'coffin kit' was on the return leg from JNB Who needs a seat belt when your shoulders are already touching the seat partitions ?
After flying CX as a MPO member for 27 years I have seen nothing but cut ,cut, cut , chop of members' benefits.
Even the duty free they want 60% off the suppliers' best world retail prices before they will take the range
The new kak narrow seat is and remains a debacle and cannot even be considered if you want to talk business with or have your family or friends with you.
The world is flying more which explains the fact they are frequently full, not because they offer the best any more.

Meanwhile you heard this on 'Radio Marco Polo'
The CX pilot union is planning a strike for February
CX offered them a meagre 5% increase which they told them to shove (they really know how to handle their staff with the cabin crew threatening like action recently over medical fees) - meanwhile Dragonair are parking planes due to pilot shortage and CX will be next I am told
- No hi tech bus drivers no can fly -
there is a worldwide shortage of hi tech bus drivers and other airlines are throwing carrots to entice them
Having spoken to three pilots recently they confirmed this.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 8:17 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Marco Polo
Meanwhile you heard this on 'Radio Marco Polo'
The CX pilot union is planning a strike for February
CX offered them a meagre 5% increase which they told them to shove (they really know how to handle their staff with the cabin crew threatening like action recently over medical fees) - meanwhile Dragonair are parking planes due to pilot shortage and CX will be next I am told
- No hi tech bus drivers no can fly -
there is a worldwide shortage of hi tech bus drivers and other airlines are throwing carrots to entice them
Having spoken to three pilots recently they confirmed this.
Ha, that would be hilarious. Inconvenient, but hilarious. I really was rooting for the flight attendants a few months back, so I guess I'll throw my weight behind the pilots this time despite the delays I'm sure I'll get stuck with. Anything to make CX mgmt realize they're sticking it. Because my philosophy is this: if the crew is happy, my time on the plane is probably more comfortable and better served by a happy crew than angry FAs who got gypped on copay or pilots who wish they had jumped to Oasis.

You know the truth is, I really could care less about paying $1k or $2k US more per trip if they could just get better food options, happier FAs and seats that would work all the time. With Asia the way it is now I doubt I'm in a minority. I already have to pay like $10k-$12k US round trip to JFK in J, it really doesn't make it a huge difference to go to $13k or so if they can guarantee me a better (and more consistent) product. I ended up paying something like $3 or $4k to upgrade to F a while back from J to LAX, and still I got stuck with Cuvee William Deutz (reserve!) and a seat in 1K that jiggled around in both the upright and lie-down position. What did I get out of it? $250 in vouchers. I have my fingers crossed when SQ begins to LHR and trans-Pac to SFO on the A380 at least people will have an option, and maybe CX will be forced to SLIGHTLY change. Ripple effect?
Old Jan 15, 2008, 2:47 am

meanwhile their seat manufacturers are evidently being sued for breach of patent by Virgin who are also demanding other airlines remove the patented herringbone product
Old Jan 15, 2008, 5:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by QRC3288
I really could care less about paying $1k or $2k ?
I am sure you can get a pretty good meal with even better champagne than Krug Grand Cuvee.

I really doubt many people will have the same thinking as you. Asian or no Asian
Old Jan 15, 2008, 6:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver, MU Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
ACfly, your SP was same as mine on a London flight in July.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.