Search

Where In The World Are You?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2007, 12:13 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Where In The World Are You?

I went to a spot today that I think is rarely visited, but people here are such good travelers, someone else will probably recognize the spot. So I decided to start a new theard. Every week I will post a new spot that isn't easy to find, but you might have been there. I am not a hiker and I have a family. So there aren't deserted spots, just a bit unusual. A chance for me to relive some of my travel, a chance for you to have fun.

So here we go. WEEK #1 - Have you ever seen the Schnyder memorial? He was born in 1961 and died in 1991. The memorial is informal and looks to have been sitting in the same location for many years. It is located in plain sight. (Sorry, I can't remember his first name and the memorial is written in german??).
Old Dec 27, 2007, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by sbrower
I went to a spot today that I think is rarely visited, but people here are such good travelers, someone else will probably recognize the spot. So I decided to start a new theard. Every week I will post a new spot that isn't easy to find, but you might have been there. I am not a hiker and I have a family. So there aren't deserted spots, just a bit unusual. A chance for me to relive some of my travel, a chance for you to have fun.

So here we go. WEEK #1 - Have you ever seen the Schnyder memorial? He was born in 1961 and died in 1991. The memorial is informal and looks to have been sitting in the same location for many years. It is located in plain sight. (Sorry, I can't remember his first name and the memorial is written in german??).
fun idea--but i have no idea where.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 9:49 am

I agree, you're going to have to provide another hint for this one.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 10:10 am

Programs: UA*G, UA 1MM
Long Beach, CA area?
Old Dec 27, 2007, 9:05 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Week #1 - Next Hint

Under a palm tree on the Island of Hawaii.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 12:22 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Week #1 - Answer

(Based on the very few posts I guess my idea wasn't so good. But I will at least finish this one.)

On the Big Island of Hawaii is one of the most incredible beaches in the world, but it doesn't get rated because very few people visit. On the extreme North-East end is the Waipi'o Valley. Access requires a 4-wheel drive vehicle (rental companies discourage visits). Down a steep grade (25%) to dirt roads. Bumping through puddles that even during the "dry" time can be 2' deep, with mud. About 1/4 mile to a black sand beach of wonderful consistency. The waterfall, which runs into the valley, causes a river which bisects the beach. Many visitors who come to the beach don't choose to ford the river (lots of rocks on your feet - the secret is to run through the surf instead of trying to walk across the river). Walk to the far end of the beach (long walk - amazing views). There, at the *very* end, is a patch of grass about 10' wide, about 10' above the beach. Under a palm tree is the hand-made memorial. (That is also the beginning of a zig-zag walking trail, which I haven't explored, which takes you up (and then down) into the next valley, which I am told is no longer inhabited.)
Old Dec 30, 2007, 12:35 pm

In 1991 when I was there, an old man was at the top of the road. We talked to him and he said when he was young, a tsumani had came in while he was at the top and he saw his family washed away. I never forgot that, he still seemed sad.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 1:42 am
Original Member
Original Poster

There have been 2 major tsunamis in the valley based on an article I read recently. No loss of life in either one. But total devestation of property.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 2:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Is this just a random spot with decsription to see if others can guess it? If so, I have one.

Booger Reds, across from the White Elephant. You can get a picture with a longhorn outside, or get a room at the attached hotel.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Tsunamis

The 1946 and 1960 tsunamis both should have hit the coastal areas of Waipio Valley; they nailed Hilo pretty good.

I'm actually on that island right now as well... and I'm typing this a couple hundred feet from the Onizuka memorial. There are SUVs sitting outside the door with tire chains on.

(Perhaps that's too easy a location to guess. )
Old Dec 31, 2007, 10:30 am
Original Member
Original Poster

The tire chains make it sound like the peak on Mauna Kea, where we saw the snow from our Cattle Drive. But I haven't been up there for 10 years, so I don't remember the memorial.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Good guess :)

I didn't say "and I got snowed on at 6pm!" but you got it anyway, pretty much. I was actually at the mid-level facility (Onizuka Center for International Astronomy) at about 9200-9300 feet - the memorial is a bronze of Ellison Onizuka's face mounted on a rock by the driveway to the Visitor Information Station.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 5:20 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oneant
Is this just a random spot with decsription to see if others can guess it? If so, I have one.

Booger Reds, across from the White Elephant. You can get a picture with a longhorn outside, or get a room at the attached hotel.
You understood the thread correctly. But I don't know your travel spot. Looking forward to more details.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 5:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Originally Posted by oneant

That would be the Stockyards, Fort Worth, TX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.