Search

Liquids security farce, take 4

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2007, 12:29 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Liquids security farce, take 4

The QF business class amenity kit has a little plastic box that encases the gels and goops. As an experiment I have left this in my carry on the past couple of days. So far it has successfully gone through security at LAX, SFO, SYD, MEL, SIN and LHR.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 3:20 am

Programs: AA Million Miler
me too

I have a tube of toothpaste (not a liquid or a gel) that has flown about 30K miles with me this year, in the pocket of my computer bag. It spent about 5 seconds in a stupid Kippie Bag given to me by a nearby passenger who offered it to me when the tube was discovered. This was the first and only time that the X-ray picked it up. I also have some very dangerous Blistex that has gone about 60K miles this year undiscovered.
Keep fighting the fight. Kippie bags are stupid, taking off your shoes is stupid, taking your computer out of the bag is stupid.
I have flown international several times and they seem to have it right...at least regarding shoes. They buy into the Kippie bag crap too.
Happy Festivus.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 9:01 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have never found that airline amentiy kits are taken out of my carry-on even though they contain a few tubes of liquid-- ever.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Think of all the children you are so selfishly endangering.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 10:16 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I know someone who made it through with 4 amenity kits in a carryon.

"Kippie bags are stupid, taking off your shoes is stupid, taking your computer out of the bag is stupid."

Amen, Joseph.doakes!
Old Dec 25, 2007, 1:37 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Kippie Bag Found by TSA

I recently had a trip back into the states - to keep moving quickly my travel partner put my kippie bag back into my carry-on after clearing security.

On-board the plane when I was looking for it in my carry-on, I couldn't find it and figured it never did get re-packed into my bag.

Upon arrival at ORD, I put my bag into the x-ray at AA T3, "BAG CHECK" is the next thing I hear.

TSA found my Kippie Bag at the bottom of a compartment that had my travel router, my electric adapters, and a collection of Ethernet cords. TSA screener gave me a nasty look and said I was required to take it out. Once kippie bag was found, bag was clear and I was good to go.

Ironically, I also had an amenity kit buried in the bag as well that wasn't located with the bag search.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 10:28 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Spiff
I now have 4 and made it through LAX security. See if I can do 5 at my next transit.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 5:26 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now you know two such people.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 9:59 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
This reminds me of a stoopid MSS Security Guy in MEL - who irritated the crap out of me.

Scenario, my partner and I were booked to have a relaxing two weeks in Bali at our condo, exactly 1 month after the Sari Club got targeted.

Anyway coming home, our direct Garuda service got rerouted via MEL. We considered this a lucky break as everyone else we knew travelled on different dates as so many flights were cancelled.

Arrived at DPS - the usual security clearance at the door to the airport. Checked in at the Executive Desk, paid our Departure Tax (100 000 IDR) cleared Immigration , puchased duty free, and settled in the much smaller Lounge that Garuda was using that night, due to the low loadings.

An improvement over the usual Premium lounge on the lower level.

Called to the gate at 2245 for 2300 departure, standard gate screening, xray , but this time there was a greater emphasis.

Fly down to Mel - as usual get handed amenities kits. Now we are a couple, we pack together and have a cabin bag for wetpacks, and another one that contains our shared pack of adaptors, phones, chargers etc.

So on arrival at Mel at 0625 am local time, make the long walk to the Interanational transfers, go thru outbound security and go to the QF Lounge.

At 740 we call a boarding call, that included the then uncommon phrase, please have your passport and boarding cards available for inspection.

When we get to the gate - there were a bunch of MSS security people doing hand baggage checks, wanding and shoe inspections etc. So we were not sure if this was becoming standard for Garuda or if there was some intelligence about this flight.

We both offer our bags to different screeners. My guys was confused about the two phones, switch them both on please. I explained that I was travelling with my partner and we keep things like the phones together so we know where they are.

Then he discovered two sealed Garuda Amenity kits. Breaks the seals, opens them - OMG you cannot travel with needles SIR, i am going to have to confiscate them. (each kit had a tiny sewing needle in the sewing kit)

Yeah sure. I then get a lecture about the needles and how dangerous they are.

My response was - well look at where they were - I don't think Garuda has an issue with them. Blank stare. You cannot travel with them.

Sure I don't want them, Garuda gave them to me last night, on the very same aircraft I am about to board, and will sit in the very same seat as i left 90 mins ago, but please take the needles.

HELLO ??

Is this screening stupidity or what?
Old Jan 14, 2008, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by adampenrith

Yeah sure. I then get a lecture about the needles and how dangerous they are.
People like that should be shaken until their teeth rattle. What the HELL is wrong with you?!?

"security" morons.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold .25 MM :) & Marriott Gold
Has anybody ever eaten at the restaurant/round bar at SNA? I forget the name of it. Anyway, they give you plastic butter knives, but metal forks. I think this is ridiculous and I had a good laugh with the server one afternoon. We both agreed that were we to "go to blows" we would prefer the fork to the butter knife.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 12:12 am

Programs: AC.SE
A security person at NRT spied something in my carry-on when I put it through the x-ray machine when transferring from a TG flight to an NH flight going to the US. I had an unopened (still in plastic wrap) amenity kit in there which of course had mini-bottles of stuff. Had to open it up. The screener was very pleasant, though--even suggested I put the bottles into my ziploc bag and was a bit taken aback when I said he could just dump them.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by ylwae
A security person at NRT spied something in my carry-on when I put it through the x-ray machine when transferring from a TG flight to an NH flight going to the US. I had an unopened (still in plastic wrap) amenity kit in there which of course had mini-bottles of stuff. Had to open it up. The screener was very pleasant, though--even suggested I put the bottles into my ziploc bag and was a bit taken aback when I said he could just dump them.
"baka" would have more adequately described your experience.

"Arigato gozaimasu, baka-san."
Old Jan 15, 2008, 11:49 am

Programs: The program formerly know as WorldPerks
For the last four years I've flown with a 60ml bottle of Eclipse cleaning fluid for my DSLR camera. Half the bottle says "Flammable, bla bla bla" on it. I just keep it in my backpack, never had a problem with it once.

PS: I'm heading to FRA this weekend, doing the "Kip Hawley is an idiot thing".
Old Jan 15, 2008, 5:07 pm

Programs: AC.SE
"baka" would have more adequately described your experience.

"Arigato gozaimasu, baka-san."
I had to look it up, but yes. Sad that the poxy arm of the DHS reaches so far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.