Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Refreshing upgrade request / seat assignment to reflect status change (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refreshing upgrade request / seat assignment to reflect status change (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2007, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Stupid Q: ticketed/requested upgrades as GLD, now PLT, do I have to call?

Dropped to gold for the past year, tickets for flights coming up purchased and upgrades requested then... just made it back to Platinum.

I vaguely recall some discussion here of already-ticketed flights not reflecting new status automatically, but I'm not sure if that was for upgrades. Will the upgrade requests automatically move to the 72-hour window, or do I need to call to get them to update the PNR?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

If your status changes and you have pre-existing upgrade requests, you need to call AA to have your requests canceled and resubmitted with your new status. The original timestamp should be retained to maintain waitlist priority.

Thanks to jrhone for the information on this, here!

dstan

AA Forum Co-Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Jun 9, 2009 at 12:04 pm Reason: updated thread title and restored OP title
Old Dec 7, 2007, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by nkedel
Dropped to gold for the past year, tickets for flights coming up purchased and upgrades requested then... just made it back to Platinum.

I vaguely recall some discussion here of already-ticketed flights not reflecting new status automatically, but I'm not sure if that was for upgrades. Will the upgrade requests automatically move to the 72-hour window, or do I need to call to get them to update the PNR?

Call and get AA to update (or refresh) all of your reservations to reflect the new status. If not the reservation and therefore the UPG clearing will show as GLD for awhile longer. Like everything else, AA takes immediately but gives over time.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 2:02 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Some people have had it update automatically; others have reported having to call to make it happen. Guess which I'd chose

Cheers.
Old May 19, 2009, 9:51 am

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
I have five reservations that I made before I hit Platinum. I've called a few times trying to get them refreshed, but I keep getting transferred around and can't find anyone who knows what to do. The last AAgent I talked to said my reservations have my AAdvantage number on it. (Duh!)

This is the newest thread I can find about this. Is it still an issue that has to be manually updated, or is it something they've fixed in the last year and a half?

I have several BOS-LAX flights next week that I would like sticker upgrades on, and based on feedback I've heard from other elites on that route, it'll be hit or miss even as Platinum so I definitely don't want to be on the upgrade list as a Gold.
Old May 19, 2009, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MichaelColey
I have five reservations that I made before I hit Platinum. I've called a few times trying to get them refreshed, but I keep getting transferred around and can't find anyone who knows what to do.
I think the easiest thing to do is to have them remove your AAdvantage number from the record, and then re-add it.
Old May 19, 2009, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I think the easiest thing to do is to have them remove your AAdvantage number from the record, and then re-add it.
And then, after they re-add your number, make sure they re-add you to the upgrade list. To be safe, you might do this in two separate calls: in the first one, ask the agent to remove your AAdvantage number; in the second, have the agent add your number and add you to the upgrade list.
Old May 19, 2009, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Blumie
And then, after they re-add your number, make sure they re-add you to the upgrade list. To be safe, you might do this in two separate calls: in the first one, ask the agent to remove your AAdvantage number; in the second, have the agent add your number and add you to the upgrade list.
Once they remove and re-add the AAdvantage number, cant they just request the upgrade online (if a sticker upgrade)? I thought removing and re-adding will remove you from the upgrade list.
Old May 19, 2009, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vrbaba
Once they remove and re-add the AAdvantage number, cant they just request the upgrade online (if a sticker upgrade)? I thought removing and re-adding will remove you from the upgrade list.
In fact, once the AAdvantage number has been renoved, the OP can both re-add the AAdvantage number and re-request the upgrade online, so no second call would be required.
Old May 19, 2009, 10:20 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In fact, once the AAdvantage number has been renoved, the OP can both re-add the AAdvantage number and re-request the upgrade online, so no second call would be required.
Except that the upgrade request date will be reset to Now in this scenario.

Cheers.
Old May 19, 2009, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
Except that the upgrade request date will be reset to Now in this scenario.
Correct, but is there a solution that maintains the original request time? It's obviously more important to be listed as a PLT than to maintain the original request time.
Old May 19, 2009, 10:40 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Correct, but is there a solution that maintains the original request time? It's obviously more important to be listed as a PLT than to maintain the original request time.
I think that it can be done by an agent. As a similar, but not identical, example - the schedule change that just happened affected a trip to MCO for us. Return went from 8:25 to 7:00. Also, all upgrades were now un-requested. I asked to be put on the 8:40, and re-do the requests, with original request date. The agent said no problem, and it seemed an easy thing to do.

Not sure if it can be done in the status-update case, but I don't see why not.

Cheers.
Old May 19, 2009, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
I think that it can be done by an agent. As a similar, but not identical, example - the schedule change that just happened affected a trip to MCO for us. Return went from 8:25 to 7:00. Also, all upgrades were now un-requested. I asked to be put on the 8:40, and re-do the requests, with original request date. The agent said no problem, and it seemed an easy thing to do.
How confident are you that you got your original request time as opposed to the agent just humoring you to get you off the phone?
Old May 19, 2009, 10:53 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How confident are you that you got your original request time as opposed to the agent just humoring you to get you off the phone?
I actually thought about it at the time. Inasmuch as this is MCO, and September, I didn't care that much. Last time there we went standby when got to the airport, got on the flight, with upgrades, despite a 40+ person list. Of course, the DFW flights could be a different issue

Cheers.
Old May 19, 2009, 11:23 am

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
They're telling me that my reservations already show Platinum, so I'm just going to leave everything as it is for now. I'll be watching at 72 hours, though to see if the upgrade goes through (and I realize it could take longer).
Old May 19, 2009, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by MichaelColey
They're telling me that my reservations already show Platinum, so I'm just going to leave everything as it is for now. I'll be watching at 72 hours, though to see if the upgrade goes through (and I realize it could take longer).
I do not believe them (seriously). Just call and ask them to remove your AAdvantage number. Do the rest yourself as discussed above. There is a 99.99% chance that your existing reservations when you became PLT do not show your updated status for upgrade purposes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.