Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Official LGW Routes Axed: ABZ, NCE, PRG, KEF, SPU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official LGW Routes Axed: ABZ, NCE, PRG, KEF, SPU

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2007, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Exclamation Official LGW Routes Axed: ABZ, NCE, PRG, KEF, SPU

BA finally confirms what we have known for a little while now:

Flights from Gatwick to Aberdeen, Nice, Prague, Reykjavik (sic) and Split and from London City to Milan Malpensa will be suspended.
http://bapress.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...=&p_faqid=7400

Split had not previously been mentioned, but was summer only anyway.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 9:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
Yip, was on th BA this morning to sort out existing booking for next year. They have not issued a commercial policy yet so need to wait for that.

Obviously their commercial department can't keep up with the press office!!
Old Nov 26, 2007, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I had a feeling that Split was about to disappear. Last week I was looking for seats in July 2008 and all that was offered on BA.com was full J at £340 oneway or full Y at £302 oneway. I had read on the thread about the loss of LGW/ABZ , I think, that if only full fares have been loaded then it's a sure sign that the route is about to disappear. Strangely though when I used BA's electonic timetable yesterday Split is showing as operating daily except Monday next July! Well back to the drawing board for me now. Having had a great stay in Dubrovnik last July I was looking forward to trying Split. Maybe I could try BA's new route to Ibiza!!!!!
Old Nov 26, 2007, 3:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, LTG
Originally Posted by spanishflea
BA finally confirms what we have known for a little while now:

Oh no! I'm flying to KEF on 10/12 and again late Jan. Flights are always packed out! Anyone know when this sad day will come to pass?

http://bapress.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...=&p_faqid=7400

Split had not previously been mentioned, but was summer only anyway.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

These all go from the last day of the Winter season, which is the day the clocks go back. Last Saturday in March I think.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 3:56 pm

Programs: BMI Silver, BA Silver
I'm booked with two friends LGW - KEF in April, so obviously this latest news has caused us some problems.

Does anyone have any idea what to expect from BA?

Can they reroute us from LHR - KEF with Icelandair? When I spoke to someone from BA he advised me just to wait until someone gets in touch with me but talked about a connection via Glasgow then onward with Icelandair...

If they won't reroute us, is it cheeky to ask for tickets to another European destination (even if the current price is more than we paid for KEF?)

Any advice appreciated...
Old Nov 26, 2007, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
BA have a standard commercial policy, I don't see why these cancellations will be any different. You can read about it here - another destination is an option, but not for free if there's a fare difference.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 4:12 pm
Bukhara

(((((((((((((((((((

Last edited by Bukhara; Jul 26, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Old Nov 26, 2007, 4:17 pm

I cannot believe they are cancelling NCE!..That 2230 flight into LGW and in fact the 1900 out to NCE are my favourite flights in the Summer.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 4:19 pm

Programs: BMI Silver, BA Silver
Thanks, but it doesnt seem to take into account for a complete withdrawal from a route.

Option 1 talks about rebooking only on a BA flight, but since BA will not fly to KEF then that is out. At least if you are going to Split you could fly to Dubrovnik and take the ferry.... Wish it was as simple with KEF!!

Option 2 talks about an option to another destination (but paying the fare difference) its very annoying given we booked in August and the fares for most destinations have risen since then.

Option 3 talks about a refund...

So, from what I can gather options 2 and 3 are our only possibilities and if BA offer any flight with another company it would be goodwill and not their obligation...

Since I have feeder flights (non BA) booked and a hotel booked) am I being really unreasonable to insist on rebooking by a different carrier? Do I have any realistic chances do you think?

Thanks for your help

Last edited by paulwelch101; Nov 26, 2007 at 4:25 pm
Old Nov 26, 2007, 4:30 pm
Bukhara

/////////////////////

Last edited by Bukhara; Jul 26, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Old Nov 27, 2007, 2:40 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
I really really like Iceland. Disappointed that BA are withdrawing.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by ozzie
I really really like Iceland. Disappointed that BA are withdrawing.
But the schedule was dreadful - out at 8am, back at 12pm. Made a weekend away very time-wasteful. I have never been but will be quite happy with FI when I do as they fly at much more convenient times.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 4:57 am

I cannot believe they are cancelling NCE!..That 2230 flight into LGW and in fact the 1900 out to NCE are my favourite flights in the Summer.
To be honest, I was surprised it lasted as long as it did. Under Rod Eddington's "Future Shape and Size" study undertaken after the events of 9/11/2003, the decision was made to avoid duplication of LHR routes at LGW. As there is a healthy LHR-NCE schedule, I was quite surprised that the LGW-NCE service was allowed to continue, as well as the LGW-FCO, LGW-MAD and LGW-BCN routes!
Old Nov 27, 2007, 12:16 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Oh bealine... I know you have moved to LHR but some of us still enjoy using Gatwick.!!!
If duplication is to be avoided ala Rod, then does that mean we can look forward to the loss of
LGW to EDI, GLA, MAN, AMS, MAD, BCN, GVA, ZRH, FCO ?
I have probably missed a few!!
Just on domestics, we have lost:
LGW- GCI, BRS, PLH, INV, NCL and now ABZ... and SNN and CRK in Eire..
Not to mention all the other euro routes !!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.