Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Why can't QF serve my nuts in a warm bowl?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2007, 6:09 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P

There is nothing that cheapens the QF International Business product more than the way the packet of nuts are presented with the pre meal drink.

UA and others can serve warm nuts in a warm bowl, so why can't QF? It may only seem a small thing, but is very noticeable when you see how the others can do it. With the right crew, it can tip the balance between QF and UA in terms of the cabin service.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 7:01 am

Oh, how quick will this turn into a smutty thread!

Personally, I'm not fussed with warm peanuts in a bowl (or almonds or ...) vs cold nuts. To me, they are a very minor part of the service.

There are other things that are much more important to me when I fly an airline.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 7:30 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Good point, I never thought about that. But I never really got the concept of warm nuts.
But then again the QF way does look a bit cheap IMHO.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 9:12 am

It would be nice to serve warm nuts like we did back in the day.

For this to happen they need to be packaged in oven proof sachets as we cant heat things uncovered in the oven and removing them ourselves and then plating them etc is too much food handling for such a small product.

Personally I would be prepared to put it forward,although im lead to believe its a very european and asian style product and not one Qantas wishes to have as a service signature.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 1:33 pm
Suspended

cathay does give a choice of snacks and it can be olives or other snacks and not necessary nuts.

Given the question posed as a title, isn't it a bit subjective to demand such expectations be met?

Not everyone likes nuts. And increasingly, nut allergies may mean no snacks with drinks.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 1:55 pm

Qantas also gives Olives on tasman services and in First Class.

The almonds in First Class are usually warm due to the location in which they are stored.

Qantas (as workflyer mentioned) has decided that it doesn't want to serve warm nuts in a bowl as a service standard. Singapore Airlines also serve their bar snack in it's original packaging in J class as do other airlines.

I don't think the deciding factor between UA and QF service is warm nuts.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 2:46 pm

Programs: BAEC QF
I'd prefer my nuts to be in a sealed bag, hygienic, rather than receiving a warm bowl of opened nuts.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 3:04 pm

Programs: QF WP (LTG), AA, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold.
Originally Posted by eoinnz
Qantas also gives Olives on tasman services and in First Class.

The almonds in First Class are usually warm due to the location in which they are stored.

I don't think the deciding factor between UA and QF service is warm nuts.
OK.... I'll bite! Which crew member gets to carry the nut packets? Are there special deep pockets required?
Old Oct 8, 2007, 3:52 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by workflyer
Personally I would be prepared to put it forward,although im lead to believe its a very european and asian style product and not one Qantas wishes to have as a service signature.
Interesting.

From my observation of the after take-off UA and AA drinks service, the warm nuts (or even cold nuts) in a warm (or sometimes cold) bowl seems a very big part of domestic and international service. Sure, the tray of nuts is heated then plated (bowled), but the popularity of this is indicated in that a second and sometimes third offering of nuts (from the heated tray) is gladly taken by the majority of passengers.

This emphasis on the warm nuts does make the QF offering very poor by comparison.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by workflyer
It would be nice to serve warm nuts like we did back in the day.

For this to happen they need to be packaged in oven proof sachets as we cant heat things uncovered in the oven and removing them ourselves and then plating them etc is too much food handling for such a small product.

Well since they are bagged. You could try sitting on them.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 4:48 pm

Programs: QF Club Bronze, JAL Mileage Bank, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by MacExtreme
I'd prefer my nuts to be in a sealed bag, hygienic, rather than receiving a warm bowl of opened nuts.
I dont mind how my nuts are served, as long as they are fairly large nuts.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 2:33 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Originally Posted by mattm199
OK.... I'll bite! Which crew member gets to carry the nut packets? Are there special deep pockets required?
Sounds as bad as the one armed cook who serves rissoles for dinner. The very thought of it makes going hungry a viable option.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 4:28 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
News reports would indicate you can get your nuts handled any way you like in J on the route to Mumbai.....
Old Oct 9, 2007, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA platinum, Air France Platinum,, Bonvoy titanium, AC 50k
This reminds of the QF flight in F, when I was asked to hold my nuts for takeoff.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 5:16 pm

Programs: QF Plat | UA MP
Originally Posted by sAAul
This reminds of the QF flight in F, when I was asked to hold my nuts for takeoff.
I thought in F they would have offered to hold your nuts for you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.