Wiki Posts
Search

AF to fly LHR-LAX summer 2008?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2007, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
AF to fly LHR-LAX summer 2008?

Looks like Open Skies will start getting bloody from Day 1... Apparently AF will launch LHR-LAX next April with a 777, in conjunction with Delta as part of the Air France-Delta joint venture. The DL-AF JV will include all LHR-USA services (DL will fly LHR-JFK and LHR-ATL) as well as France-USA services. Later, this is supposed to spread to other TATL routes of both carriers.

Link below is in French only:

http://www.latribune.fr/info/Air-Fra...0071001U77JR59
Old Oct 1, 2007, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
Looks like Open Skies will start getting bloody from Day 1... Apparently AF will launch LHR-LAX next April with a 777, in conjunction with Delta as part of the Air France-Delta joint venture. The DL-AF JV will include all LHR-USA services (DL will fly LHR-JFK and LHR-ATL) as well as France-USA services. Later, this is supposed to spread to other TATL routes of both carriers.

Link below is in French only:

http://www.latribune.fr/info/Air-Fra...0071001U77JR59
So plans are firming up. Don't know how much profit AF deives from its North Atlantic routes. But it seems that BA (and possibly VS) are ready to reciprocate. Read an article in the Financial Times recently about it. How much is threats rather than definite plans is another question.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 6:57 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Given the price premium enjoyed by BA on the US-LHR routes, I would guess that BA has much more to lose than Continental Europe carriers.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
and af/delta codeshare between lon and jfk/atl. this gives alot of new opportunities.

wonder if this will be additional traffic or if they will cut some existing tatl routes
Old Oct 2, 2007, 2:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
Apparently AF will launch LHR-LAX next April with a 777
Certainly nothing in the CRS yet
Old Oct 2, 2007, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cris L
Certainly nothing in the CRS yet
Details of the AF-DL joint venture (and all LHR plans) should be announced in the next two weeks (around mid-October I believe).
Old Oct 2, 2007, 11:11 am

Programs: DL GM
Lovely. I'll finally be able to fly nonstop between LAX and LHR on SkyTeam. That will move even more of my flying from NW and KL to AF.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 6:28 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum for Life, BMI Gold, EK Skywards Gold, BA Gold, IC Hotels Platinum Ambassador
Wonderful....we can now all come and go to LAX from one of the few airports in Europe that is currently worse than CDG! I'll stick to CDG or AMS thanks....

I say worse because I am hoping for great things from the new CDG terminal.....
Old Oct 3, 2007, 10:18 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by chunk73
Wonderful....we can now all come and go to LAX from one of the few airports in Europe that is currently worse than CDG! I'll stick to CDG or AMS thanks....

I say worse because I am hoping for great things from the new CDG terminal.....
I certainly wouldn't choose to connect through LHR... but if I'm actually going to London from LA, it's a huge improvement over a connecting flight.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 9:27 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum for Life, BMI Gold, EK Skywards Gold, BA Gold, IC Hotels Platinum Ambassador
I just wonder how they can fill a 777 from LHR to LAX and not rely on connecting pax. I mean, they probably have a large percentage connecting through their own hub as it is....
Old Oct 4, 2007, 9:47 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by chrissxb
and af/delta codeshare between lon and jfk/atl. this gives alot of new opportunities.
Sure, but that means connecting in LHR, which is not a convenient place...
Old Oct 4, 2007, 9:51 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
I just wonder how they can fill a 777 from LHR to LAX and not rely on connecting pax. I mean, they probably have a large percentage connecting through their own hub as it is....
My guess is a DL flight with an AF codeshare on it. In a way nothing new.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 9:57 am

Programs: Air France Platinum - Qatar Airways Gold
There is a dozen of 318/319/320/321 commuting daily between CDG and LHR. AF are probably going to sell a few of their LHR slots to DL but I guess passengers from the CDG area constitute a most welcome extra traffic, provided AF introduce attractive pricing ex CDG for those flights, and provided they slightly adjust the capacity of the CDG LAX route accordingly (to 1 or 2 daily flights only, of which 1 A380?). Perhaps codesharing a few KL flights from AMS to LHR would certainly make sense too.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Falco Peregrinus
There is a dozen of 318/319/320/321 commuting daily between CDG and LHR. AF are probably going to sell a few of their LHR slots to DL but I guess passengers from the CDG area constitute a most welcome extra traffic, provided AF introduce attractive pricing ex CDG for those flights, and provided they slightly adjust the capacity of the CDG LAX route accordingly (to 1 or 2 daily flights only, of which 1 A380?). Perhaps codesharing a few KL flights from AMS to LHR would certainly make sense too.
I very much doubt there will be many, if any, passengers flying CDG-LHR-LAX on AF. What would be the point (not counting mileage runners) when there are direct flights CDG-LAX? And if AF have to reduce the cost of CDG-LHR-LAX to fill the aircraft, what would be the point to AF?

Simple answer is that after November 14th, when the Eurostar travels between London and Paris much more quickly, AF will have to seriously look at all CDG-LHR flights and justify them. Eurostar already accounts for 70% of the London-Paris traffic. This will increase further in a couple of months.

AF are obviously a) being seen to react to BA's possible entry into US-France routes, and/or b) looking at other markets from LHR other than CDG.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

I would imagine that aside from the LHR-LAX O&D traffic they will also rely on Delta's still-decent presence in the LA area. DL has started building up LAX again (they now fly to more than 50 destinations out of LAX - about 30+ domestic US cities) so the LHR flight can easily get feed from places like SAN, SJC, OAK, RNO, LAS, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.