Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Proposal: new non-travel-related *frequency program* forum under points and miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proposal: new non-travel-related *frequency program* forum under points and miles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2007, 3:33 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU

Programs like Caffe Nero's stamp card, Tesco's clubcard, Harris Teeter MVP card and Canadian Tire "money" offer discounts and freebies for frequency and loyalty. It is estimated that nearly a billion people participate in such programs so they are clearly popular!

Flyertalkers care about discounts and free stuff, and FT forums no longer have to be all about travel, miles and points.

A Non-travel related retail frequency programs forum will give flyertalkers a place to talk about double-stamp day at Nero, Triple discounts at Harris Teeter and other valuable savings for participating in non-travel retail frequency programs. It will dovetail very nicely with the non-travel related S.P.A.M. forum!
Old Aug 15, 2007, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Oh yeah, and as my examples suggest, this forum covers the entire world's frequency programs, not just US ones! ^
Old Aug 15, 2007, 3:38 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Could you please demonstrate a copious, un-met need that exists on FlyerTalk? Thanks!

That's generally a litmus test for me, other TalkBoard members may feel differently.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spiff
Could you please demonstrate a copious, un-met need that exists on FlyerTalk? Thanks!

That's generally a litmus test for me, other TalkBoard members may feel differently.
75 percent of shoppers in the U.S. now belong to at least one loyalty program. I predict that, including hotel and airline programs, 100% of Flyertalkers participate in such programs.

I myself participate in:

Safeway Club Card
Harris Teeter MVP
CVS Card
Harrah's Entertainment Card
Hooters Wing Club
Nero Stamp Card
Neiman Marcus' InCircle program

And that's just off the top of my head.

The need is self-evident. The only thing that has been lacking is germaneness. Fortunately, the TB has decided in its wisdom that non-travel-related forums are now appropriate on Flyertalk's Points and Miles forums! ^
Old Aug 15, 2007, 4:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I'll note that Tesco clubcard is fully discussed and dissected on BA, since it's the best non-flying way of earning BA miles for UK residents, so doesn't need a seperate forum since there are already dedicated threads about maximising clubcard earning.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jenbel
I'll note that Tesco clubcard is fully discussed and dissected on BA, since it's the best non-flying way of earning BA miles for UK residents, so doesn't need a seperate forum since there are already dedicated threads about maximising clubcard earning.
But BA miles are FAR from the only choice of benefits of the TCC. Same with UA and the Safeway Club Card. Free and discounted groceries are the biggest benefit by far.

But thank you for further demonstrating to Spiff the already-exhibited-on-FT need for this forum.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 4:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
But not an unmet need, since the topic has a home.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

But not an unmet need, since the topic has a home.
But I fear the moderators will close my thread in BA if I ask about double milk discount days for Tesco club members in BA....?
Old Aug 15, 2007, 4:31 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Spiff

Old Aug 15, 2007, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Certainly.

Please have a look at the Flyertalk Points and Miles S.P.A.M. forum.

That forum clearly demonstrates beyond a shadow of a doubt that, on flyertalk, there is a very strong and real desire of FTers to share posts about free and discounted non-travel-related retail items.

Retail frequency programs are simply a more complicated way to achieve the same goal. @:-)
Old Aug 15, 2007, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
What exactly is there to discuss on these programs?

For example, CVS and Harrahs (to name two that I also participate in) are very user centric. The former gives discounts when buying specific products, the latter is based on time/denomination at the machine or at the table. There's no public targeted promotions or a way to do a "run" or anything special, other than go there.

To further complicate things, I think CVS's promotions vary by region.

Am I missing something?
Old Aug 15, 2007, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skofarrell
What exactly is there to discuss on these programs?

For example, CVS and Harrahs (to name two that I also participate in) are very user centric. The former gives discounts when buying specific products, the latter is based on time/denomination at the machine or at the table. There's no public targeted promotions or a way to do a "run" or anything special, other than go there.

Am I missing something?
"What's the best comp you've gotten from Harrahs? At what level of play?"

"Right now there is a sale for CVS club members: 2 generic ibuprofin for the price of 1!!!!!"

"What's the best coupon you've gotten from CVS? At what level of spending?"

^
Old Aug 15, 2007, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skofarrell
I think CVS's promotions vary by region.
Sounds like an awesome thread title! @:-)
Old Aug 15, 2007, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

By the way, all of those threads and posts are misposted.

They actually BELONG in the *Sites with Points and Alternative Miles* forum!!!!!

I suggest pinging a BA mod about the mispostings...
Old Aug 15, 2007, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Harris Teeter MVP
For the record, it is the Harris Teeter VIC Card (Very Important Customer). Food Lion has the MVP Card.

Plus, don't forget about all the grocery store chains on the Plus Card. For years I had a Plus Card I got from a Gerbs in MO that said Dillons out of KS and I'd use it in Krogers in SC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.