Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the world's worst FF award?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2002, 12:31 am

Original Poster

What is the world's worst FF award?

So, what is the worlds worst FF award? When nominating an award, please make sure that to use constant units for mileage for the award.

While looking through the AQ redemption chart the other week, I realized just how bad the AlohaPass program is by itself. Fortunately, you can take miles in other programs, so the fact that it's so bad probably won't affect that many people. For example, you can earn 500 miles per segment in either AlohaPass or Mileage Plus. An interisland round trip award on AQ from Mileage Plus costs 5k M+ miles. An interisland round trip award on AQ costs 10k AlohaPass miles.

So here's my nominee:

AlohaPass award between Oakland or Burbank and Las Vegas. It's a standard round trip award and costs 25,000 miles for a coach award and 40,000 miles for a first class award.

-David
Old Oct 28, 2002, 1:38 am

The Continental domestic coach award is bad. There is a published 25k award but it's hard to get. The 50k award is easy to redeem.
Old Oct 28, 2002, 5:20 am

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
LIH Prem,

I agree w/ Skylink USA, even though I suspect your line of questioning is more related to a specific dunce award...not just the *brand*, but still, even w/ this in mind, I can't think of a more worthless award in terms of availability (or lack thereof) than, specifically, Continental's ONEPASS 25K domestic award.

Because of the standing scam Continental has in awarding so few 25K domestic awards in relation to how they spew their Onepass miles so prolifically through the world via marketing programs, Chase's affinity card, etc, I make it a point to avoid this airline and to avoid accumulating miles in their program. Constrained is one thing - outright purposefully refusing to offer a fair ratio of 25K domestic awards, which I am convinced Continental does after years of observing - is onerous and deserves exposure. Where are the class action suits when you need them ?

Every year OnePass wins a Freddy...I am sick to my stomach that Randy doesn't have some minimally-acceptable threshold criteria for any program to be considered...and the scam Onepass perpetrates in the 25K domestic award availability, alone, should disqualify them for Freddy consideration - of course that's just IMO.

In the meantime - I let my spending dollars do the talking - and avoid BUYING tix on CONTINENTAL from my disgust w/ their bogus OnePass program. The informal boycott extends to my Chase's OnePass Visa - since, by relationship, I don't care to accumulate Onepass miles.....so I by and large avoid using the Chase card that I've had for years.

[This message has been edited by ILUVCITIBANK (edited 10-28-2002).]
Old Oct 28, 2002, 5:52 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
You're right on target about CO. I guess their program keeps getting rated highest because of all the free domestic upgrades they hand out? Some people apparently care more about domestic upgrades than award travel availability or international upgrades. 50,000 for a domestic coach ticket has to rank high on any list of the worst possible award.
Old Oct 28, 2002, 6:34 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
It's more than just lack of domestic coach awards with CO. There is almost a complete lack of BF awards too, as well as the silly BF upgrade awards rendered ridiculous by the 30 day rule. One need only check the CO on-line award booking to see how bad availability is at the standard level. I can't believe people are out there paying 50K for a coach award or 120K for a BF award!

Free domestic upgrades to elites is the only thing this program has going for it and I believe there is a real chance that will end if the DL/NW/CO alliance comes to fruition. I wish one airline would start publishing statistics on the number of STANDARD awards claimed as opposed to total awards. Then I think we would see just how big a scam CO has going.
Old Oct 28, 2002, 7:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Almost any "free rental car" award is an astronomical ripoff, except in very rare circumstances.

Example: 13,000 AA miles will get you two free days in a Hertz mid-size car, with lots of fine print, such as "not valid in New York Tri-State area", the only place it *might* make sense to redeem this award.

Considering that, in most places, using a coupon such as this will likely throw a wrinkle into the normal #1 Club Gold pickup/return process, this reward REALLY is a bad deal.
Old Oct 28, 2002, 7:51 am

35,000 miles for a 30 min (100 Mile) American Eagle flight from Miami to Nassau is a pretty poor deal.
Old Oct 28, 2002, 8:17 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Greetings all ,
I couldn't agree more with the mentions above about the very poor practice of severely limiting award availability on Continental in its One Pass Award program.
In all classes of service
I was flying Continental as my only choice for an airline for about a 2 year period back when it was a somewhat better airline.
Gold Elite was as high a tier one could achieve at the time.This was right before Platinum Elite came out.And the upgrading of Northwests customers too.
The good old days ......I liked Continentals people......However
Could not not get a Domestic award ticket in First Class out of New York (lga) or an/upgrade/free ticket in 3 years for an Int business first class cabin on Continental
Except at 6:00 Am in the morning
After writing a letter first and then speaking to one of Gordon Bethunes assistants peronally about the problem who gave me his personal office number.
He said " its simple we are not in business to give away seats and lose money".
Its as simple as that...........We are here to make money
Have you tried our wonderful Easy Pass system ? That was enough for me And I never looked back or flew Continental again
According to Consumer Reports when they last did surveys Continental remained amongst the worst in the nation for award availability in the Domestic US.
What is amazing to me was how blind all their passengers were (self included) by flying them earning miles from partners other means.
To this day One Pass Miles still can't be used without the airline trying to extort them back in most cases.
The thing that I will never understand is how they got a way with it for years without anyone saying a thing and winning the Freddies year after year.
This year I believe they finally lost the Freddies as the public has spoken. It was amazing they won at all as long as they did.Its finally catching up to them to bite them wear it hurts with a huge loss of revenue.Now they have started impose a gazillion penalty fees which is a little to late because more then a few are already flying elsewhere.
For me I greatly appreciate Continental as they pushed me out their airplane door with there scheme.
As a result my earnings became superior in other programs. Now my Alliance Partners are World Class with superior reward choices and greatly improved availability in comparison to One Pass
Best thing that could have happened.As for my friends who have stuck with them they deserve gold medals for giving them 90,000 miles for two economy tickets coast to coast.
Arrggghhh! They won't get it from me.......I just went off First Class on British Airways through the Qantas program for less then that..........
A friend brought up a great point with regard to how Continental runs its One Pass Program
Continentals miles are basically worth 50 % less then almost all other carriers because of their stinginess
I couldn't agree more in theory
Happy Travels all!

American,Starwood ,Marriott Platinum
Hyatt,Hilton Diamond
United 1 K
Continental History
Old Oct 28, 2002, 9:33 am

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/006512.html
Old Oct 28, 2002, 7:22 pm
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
milepoint.com has one of the worst award - you use miles and get an Amazon discount (you could get the same Amazon discount without using the miles).
Old Oct 28, 2002, 8:43 pm

Original Poster

While I sympathize with all of you with CO miles, this was meant as an in your face, I can't believe they even offer that award, like the 25k miles for OAK/BUR to LAS.

-David
Old Oct 28, 2002, 8:54 pm

On Continental you can get:
Allentown, PA (ABE) to New York/Newark Liberty, NJ (EWR) on a bus. Without a Saturday night stay, EasyPass award for only 50K miles.

Old Oct 29, 2002, 1:09 pm

KE(Korean Air)'s Japan - Korea award is the worst;
35,000 miles for regular season and 55,000 miles for high (peak) season with Y-class.

It is easy to find Y-class ticket around $200 to $250 for Tokyo - Seoul.

On the other hand, you can upgrade from Y to C for Korea - N. America (round trip) with 35,000 miles... this is great award.
They have both poor and good value.

Old Oct 29, 2002, 1:24 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">KE's Japan - Korea award is the worst;
35,000 miles for regular season and 55,000 miles for high (peak) season with Y-class.
</font>

It is a very poor value, but NRT-ICN on KE in August is almost always sold out, even in F. Supply and demand at work here.

I think most of the alliances' Y RTW awards are overpriced, as one could get much better value for the mileage asked.
Old Oct 29, 2002, 1:43 pm

Any economy award on Aeroflot.

The thought of flying that airline enough to earn one of these awards is scary enough

http://www.aeroflotbonus.ru/eng/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.