Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Terminal C at CLE gets COBRA Bag Scanner

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2007, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Terminal C at CLE gets COBRA Bag Scanner

Will this make things quicker or more of a pain? Either way, kudos to CO and the city for being on the cutting edge:

http://www.clevelandairport.com/Port...LE%20COBRA.pdf

http://www.cleveland.com/plaindealer...460.xml&coll=2
Old Aug 4, 2007, 7:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Geez, this is the device I've been screaming out for - I don't know - maybe three or more years! Finally we get to see one in action. I'm curious which technology they're using for the liquid scanning because there is a company which specializes in chemically analyzing the contents of containers without sample prep via a simple scan - maybe they integrated that in there too.

Well let's see...5 billion wasted taxpayer dollars per year for roughly 5 years, countless wasted hours standing in lines, intrusive searches by rude and moronic screeners combined with idiotic security rules and voila - we have our first next generation screening device. Well done!

Hopefully this initiative won't go bye-bye like the puffer machines started vanishing after the government contractors received their payola..err...bribes...err...payments.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 7:43 pm

Location: CLE, UA MM, UA Premier Plat, Bonvoy Titanium UA Club
^:-:^:-:^:-:^
That's great news!! Can't wait to try it out this Tuesday!
Old Aug 4, 2007, 9:32 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by traveltoomuch
^:-:^:-:^:-:^
That's great news!! Can't wait to try it out this Tuesday!
I'd hold off your enthusiasm until the TSA folks have been given ample time to practice on it - let someone else be their lab rat.

I would place a bet that they should gain working competence on this device sometime within the next 2 months
Old Aug 5, 2007, 3:56 am

Programs: Marriott Plat,Priority Club Plat
I saw TSA using it last Wednesday. I guess the good thing is laptops do not need to come out of the carrying case. The only concern I have is when the machine breaks. Now we go from 6 lanes to 5 lanes.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 8:19 am

I was told that film should not go thru.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Sounds great in theory and hopefully it'll deliver on performance. Any chance on making it EliteAccess only?
Old Aug 5, 2007, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I'd hold off your enthusiasm until the TSA folks have been given ample time to practice on it - let someone else be their lab rat.

I would place a bet that they should gain working competence on this device sometime within the next 2 months
My 3 7/8" scissors were flagged by the machine, generating a barcode tag for the TSA "officer" to take to a secondary area near the machine. She scanned the barcode into the computer and it generated an image of my scissors. She became so frustrated with the machine and the computer that she handed my scissors and let me on my way.

The "officers" I've met don't seem to be the most tech savvy. I noted that the day I went through they had about six DHS people all with palm-type devices watching the line. I can imagine once the "officers" are cut loose and on their own with the machine to expect more delays and downtime with the new system.

I did like not having to take out laptop or liquids. But if they're going to flag my scissors everytime, I'm going back to an old machine.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
That's a bit ambitious, no?
Old Aug 5, 2007, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Any chance on making it EliteAccess only?
They can't. TSA bsically says that after you get to the actual security part of the checkpoint (ie past the ID folks) the security lines have to be open access. Presumably this is to prevent some collusion where an evildoer would know which line to choose based on who is working the machine. In reality, I think that it is done to ensure that after waiting longer than I think I should have to in the Elite line to get my ID checked I'll have to repeat the frustration by waiting behind an inexperienced passenger with a suitcase full of jumbo-size hair and skin care products in their carry-on
Old Aug 5, 2007, 3:16 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Went through CLE shoe carnival last Tuesday morning.
One of the longest processing times that I can remember.

All lines, except the Cobra, were open.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Just got COBRAed at CLE! No lines at security terminal C, only ten people of so in the whole area. TSA asked if I had a laptop, I affirm and they asked me to use the lane to the extreme right. Directions were to take shoes off, leave laptop in, leave gels in and carry my boarding pass. It seemed like the bags took an extra minute or so to go thru the machine and there were two people scrutinizing them/learning the system.

In the end it would be a great thing if all lines had these machines (I know they're probably cost prohibitive) as long as they work, aka they actually find the bad stuff and have competent operators.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Was at IAH Terminal E last night. And I noticed the new screener (not in use) made by GE - from their website, I think it's called "GE Entryscan". That's different from the COBRA, right?
Old Nov 9, 2007, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Was at IAH Terminal E last night. And I noticed the new screener (not in use) made by GE - from their website, I think it's called "GE Entryscan". That's different from the COBRA, right?
This is a different device:

http://analogic.com/pdf/an6980cobra.pdf
Old Nov 10, 2007, 1:52 pm

Location: KFST (Nrst=KMAF) or wherever the airplane just took me from there.; PWP Botmaster
Programs: Pre Merger - CO Plat/1MM/STAR. Post Merger - UA 1K/2MM.
Originally Posted by MBM3
This is a different device:

http://analogic.com/pdf/an6980cobra.pdf
Yes, please be sure to note the difference between this product and the COBRA luggage application used by CO. When I first saw this headline, I was quite amused as COBRA has been in use in CLE, not to mention IAH and EWR, for some time now, much longer than this product you mentioned here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.