Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Airport with cheapest duty free (for an American)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2007, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold

Considering the weak dollar, I was wondering where the best bargains are on duty free liquor, gin in particular? I was recently in SYD, which I thought was expensive, and I have had good experiences in AMS.

Any opinions?
Old Aug 6, 2007, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
Anyone?
Old Aug 6, 2007, 10:50 am

Programs: CO Gold
in CR the prices are good and you can buy on arrival and departure (if you are desperate enough for cheap booze)

for me as a CR national where booze is cheap to start with I find it more of a hassle to carry it than to buy it in the grocery store
Old Aug 6, 2007, 10:56 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
KUL is very cheap particularly on cigarettes. I also flew throw a place Labuan on my way from KUL to Kota Kinabalu on Borneo - This was a Duty Free Port just out side Brunei and this was very very cheap

Elsewhere around the world I rarely find Duty Free worth getting that excited about. I can usually save a gew quid on a bottle of decent scotch and that's about it.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Years ago you could get good deals at many duty free shops, now most of them seem to trade on the perception of low prices rather than true low pricing. The best I have seen lately is to buy at local grocery stores in places with low liquor taxes generally, with the best deals on locally produced items. My recent experiences are Mexico (1ltr Kahlua for $8.00 US, for example), Cayman Islands, Belize, St. Thomas ($3.00/ltr for local rum), and Italy. I didn't look for Gin, but in Italy even US produced liquor (Jack Daniels, among others) was way cheaper (best prices at the grocery stores) than here in the US. The prices at the duty free stores in the airport were poor, and only appeared to be reasonable if you didn't consider the Euro->Dollar exchange rate.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wolfie_cr
in CR the prices are good and you can buy on arrival and departure (if you are desperate enough for cheap booze)

for me as a CR national where booze is cheap to start with I find it more of a hassle to carry it than to buy it in the grocery store
Pardon the ignorace, but can you clarify which place are you referring to as "CR"?
Old Aug 6, 2007, 12:40 pm

If you're looking for cheap liquor, head to the U.S. Virgin Islands. They don't charge the same taxes as the mainland. It's about 40-50% depending on the liquor. Obviously Crucian Rum is dirt cheap as or other types of rum. Gin and Vodka are also quite reasonably priced. I've been to Mexico, England, Italy, Germany, Canada, and I've never seen liquor cheaper.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
Pardon the ignorace, but can you clarify which place are you referring to as "CR"?
I assumed Costa Rica, but will see if wolfie will clarify.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.