Search

Competition for the Dentist's Chair

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2007, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, BA Blue, UA Corpse
Competition for the Dentist's Chair

Today UA unveiled its new C seat.
180°, true lie-flat, with vis-à-vis, or better dos-à-dos seating. However 2-4-2 in the 777 and 747 and 2-2-2 in the 767, i.e. another narrow dentist' chair including a blueish LED lamp. With UA/LH TATL rev share agreement I the do not think that that will affect LH significantly. However, I am looking forward to giving them a try.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 11:42 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
Originally Posted by fradoc
Today UA unveiled its new C seat.
180°, true lie-flat, with vis-à-vis, or better dos-à-dos seating. However 2-4-2 in the 777 and 747 and 2-2-2 in the 767, i.e. another narrow dentist' chair including a blueish LED lamp. With UA/LH TATL rev share agreement I the do not think that that will affect LH significantly. However, I am looking forward to giving them a try.
2-4-2? In C?

How would the pax in middle seats or window seats step over a sleeping pax on a lie-flat aisle seat?
Old Jul 24, 2007, 2:03 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by SleepOverGreenland
2-4-2? In C?

How would the pax in middle seats or window seats step over a sleeping pax on a lie-flat aisle seat?
BA has 2-4-2 in 777 and 747 currently with lie flat seats in business. I find it annoying.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
BA has 2-4-2 in 777 and 747 currently with lie flat seats in business. I find it annoying.
My worst ever C experience was on a BA 777 in the dreaded 2x4x2 configuration - and I had an aisle seat on the "2" side. "Dentist chair" is a very good way to describe it. I felt wedged in straight-jacket style and had the most uncomfortable flight ever in C - never again . I never understood the rave reviews BA gets for these seats, must be from people with supermodel body size ... If UA turns to the same configuration they are definitely not getting any of my business
Old Jul 24, 2007, 5:14 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
If anything it looks like UA is worse - each row is wholly forward or rear facing, so you get to look directly at the pax opposite you!
Old Jul 24, 2007, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

If anything it looks like UA is worse - each row is wholly forward or rear facing, so you get to look directly at the pax opposite you!
Not necessarily, since you still have those dividing walls and they claimed to have performed a lot of "line of sight testing". However it is very interesting to read your comments here and compare the with the thread over at the UA forum. There the roll-out is overwhlemed by -guess what- a "no more upgrades" debate. I have seen only one or two statements on narrow seats in a 300+ posts thread, and that in the land of the 300+ pounds people .

And I forgot: The Dentist's Chair(TM) is that what formerly was called new C or still is called PrivateBed(TM).
Old Jul 25, 2007, 11:41 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

I actually think they look spectacularly nice for a US carrier... at least on the pictures i've seen so far. I am really surprised that they went for "full-flat". Definitely looking forward to try it.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 1:44 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Only while standing up. While seated the wall-o-tv monitors will obstruct your view.

- T
Old Jul 25, 2007, 2:01 pm

Programs: BAEC QF
I must object to this wild comparison of an airline business class seat with a dentist's chair. The dentist's chair is FAR more comfortable, has a ratio of two attendants per occupant, and the liquid refreshments are superior. Also, the leather straps ensure enhanced safety. One admission must be made, however; twelve hours in a dentist's chair will usually cost you a lot more than twelve hours in an airline seat.

Old Jul 25, 2007, 3:47 pm

Programs: LH MM**, HH Silver
Originally Posted by MacExtreme
I must object to this wild comparison of an airline business class seat with a dentist's chair. The dentist's chair is FAR more comfortable, has a ratio of two attendants per occupant, and the liquid refreshments are superior. Also, the leather straps ensure enhanced safety. One admission must be made, however; twelve hours in a dentist's chair will usually cost you a lot more than twelve hours in an airline seat.

nice one ^
Old Jul 25, 2007, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MacExtreme

^ LOL

One difference: You won't get compensation for VDB...
Old Jul 25, 2007, 6:02 pm

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
Let's see how long it takes them to upgrade the fleet. UA is saying most of it will be done it 2009.

That's a long ways off.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA MM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by noturbulence
My worst ever C experience was on a BA 777 in the dreaded 2x4x2 configuration - and I had an aisle seat on the "2" side. "Dentist chair" is a very good way to describe it. I felt wedged in straight-jacket style and had the most uncomfortable flight ever in C - never again . I never understood the rave reviews BA gets for these seats, must be from people with supermodel body size ... If UA turns to the same configuration they are definitely not getting any of my business
The seats are pretty nice IMO. LH's angled seats are okay, but I'd take UA (or any airline's) true lie-flat bed any day. I currently do most of my TATL travel on LH because its product is better than UA's and I am committed to *A, but these new seats will make me switch most of my biz to UA (esp. if UA's soft product improves).

1Konsultant
Old Jul 26, 2007, 1:58 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
Originally Posted by CommittedLurker
Let's see how long it takes them to upgrade the fleet. UA is saying most of it will be done it 2009.

That's a long ways off.
Starting in 2007 and completing in 2009 wouldn't be too bad. LH started their refurbishement in 2003 and dit not complete it until 4 years later.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by SleepOverGreenland
LH started their refurbishement in 2003 and dit not complete it until 4 years later.
That's not true.
The first reglar planes were converted in May 2004.
Hence, it took them about 3 years to convert the fleet.
About twice as long as promised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.