Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

MSNBC says SW to charge for assigned seats in early '08

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2007, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k ; SW A+ Preferred; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold

Heard this on TV this morning, but have not found any corresponding info in print. MSNBC mentioned during their business travel segment on "Morning Call" this morning that Southwest will be anouncing their assigned seating plan to be implemented in early 2008, and will be adding a surcharge for assigned seating. The surcharge will be voluntary, and those not paying the surcharge will be left with the "unassigned" seats at the airport. (Of course, that means if you don't pay, you sit in the middle).

Please post if anyone finds more scoop on this.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 9:46 am

I can't wait to see how this works... let everyone with an assigned seat board first and then everyone else take the empty seats. What happens if you're late (connecting, etc), do you lose your assigned seat? What a nightmare that would be.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mtparadis
I can't wait to see how this works... let everyone with an assigned seat board first and then everyone else take the empty seats. What happens if you're late (connecting, etc), do you lose your assigned seat? What a nightmare that would be.
It would seem to me that:

You buy the assigned seat at point of ticket sale. Then those seats are blacked out and when the others check in they are forced to select a seat remaining. No more choosing a seat onboard.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 10:07 am

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
You buy the assigned seat at point of ticket sale. Then those seats are blacked out and when the others check in they are forced to select a seat remaining. No more choosing a seat onboard.
I think you're on the right track, though there will be a carve-out for last-minute purchases that fits into WN's stated intention to grow its share of business travel.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 10:09 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
No more choosing a seat onboard.
If that happens, it will be a sad day indeed.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 10:19 am

Programs: Delta
No more choosing a seat onboard.
I think that's how it will have to work. Otherwise, if I'm on a direct flight DTW-BWI-PVD and choose a seat onboard that is empty for the DTW-BWI leg but someone paid to reserve it for the BWI-PVD leg, that would create a problem.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 10:32 am

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
I hope that this is a trial balloon that is quickly popped.

If true, this is a great way to destroy loyalty to Southwest. Sell all shares of Southwest, immediately!
Old Jul 3, 2007, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by cabinpressure
I think that's how it will have to work. Otherwise, if I'm on a direct flight DTW-BWI-PVD and choose a seat onboard that is empty for the DTW-BWI leg but someone paid to reserve it for the BWI-PVD leg, that would create a problem.
Even more irritating, there's a possibility you'd have to go to another seat for the BWI-PVD leg if there isn't one consistent seat available for your whole itinerary.

On the legacies it's no big deal as there's usually a connection (change of planes) even on "direct" flights...but on WN, it's the same plane and it will be visible and irritating.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 10:53 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Here's one way to do it:

Rows 1-12 are assigned. Middle seat assignments are free. Rows 13-22 are open seating.

After assigned seaters board, Rows 1-12 become open seating. For a continuing flight, any continuing passengers sitting in Rows 1-12 without assigned seats will need to move to the back before boarding begins for the continuation leg.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 11:05 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
AirTran is already do exactly this. One could follow how it works with them and see if it is a positive or negative. Cost is $5 per booking for "regular" seats or $15 for exit rows.

I recently booked a couple of reservations for my company, fairly last minute, and most of the seats on the aircraft were available although the flight itself was heavily booked. It could be that people aren't paying the fee because it is a new procedure, but I cannot imagine why anyone wouldnt' pay the $5.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by JerryFF
It could be that people aren't paying the fee because it is a new procedure, but I cannot imagine why anyone wouldnt' pay the $5.
principle. I used to get a free meal why should I pay $5? I get free seat assignments throughout my life, why should I pay now?
Old Jul 3, 2007, 11:33 am

A few years ago SW was wondering if they needed assigned seats in order to compete. The answer is they probably don't BUT

SW is now looking at assigning seats as an additional revenue stream. Sounds like some kind of charge is inevitable. We'll either be able to pay for an "A" BP, short term, or pay for an assigned seat, long term. Passengers that don't want to pay may wind up with middle seats. Not the end of the world, every passenger arrives at the same time.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by nsx
Here's one way to do it:

Rows 1-12 are assigned. Middle seat assignments are free. Rows 13-22 are open seating.

After assigned seaters board, Rows 1-12 become open seating. For a continuing flight, any continuing passengers sitting in Rows 1-12 without assigned seats will need to move to the back before boarding begins for the continuation leg.
That is what I've thought for the longest time would be the best idea. Sell rows 1-12, but sell exit rows for more. If you're willing to risk it, wait to board last when they tell you that you can sit in any open seat and hope the exit rows didn't sell out.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 11:43 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
If this is true, anyone want to bet that us CP's will get free assigned seats?
Old Jul 3, 2007, 11:57 am
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
I think you're on the right track, though there will be a carve-out for last-minute purchases that fits into WN's stated intention to grow its share of business travel.
They would have to do something like that, or else the last minute business travelers would never be able to get the good seats. The current system actually works very well for the last minute business travelers who know enough about the WN system to get an A pass (in contrast to the legacy airlines, where preassigned seating means that the last minute business traveler gets the worst seat unless s/he has elite status).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.