Wiki Posts
Search

Would you redeem an award just to fly??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2007, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Would you redeem an award just to fly??

There are some crazy people out there...some of them on FT, believe it or not.

I just learned of somebody booking a *A C award to Asia just so they could experience SQ in C...they're only staying for 2 nights?!?!?!

This seems like a huge waste of miles -- they're flying for probably 40-45 hours and not earning one mile/point!

Help me understand why anybody would want to do this!!
Old Jun 16, 2007, 12:01 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
A FT'er once told me that one of the best uses of CO miles is award tickets on QF in F to Australia. Last year I booked 1 for me and a friend, not because I want to go back to Australia (didn't really enjoy it that much the first time), but to experience QF F!

My next use of CO miles: VS Upper Class to London (massage included).

I'm also going to Asia (again) next month, and a big factor in my going is being able to secure a seat in SQ F both ways....can't wait!

When you're in F (or SQ C), it's all about enjoying the experience of flying, instead of just getting from point A to point B.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
When UA was "on the brink" and I had about a million miles still banked, I "sorta" did the same, and stayed @ AKL for "only 2 nights" - a trip (in F) I wouldn't have made but for uneasiness of my large account balance.

Consider that "only 2 nights" stay is a typical stay for many of us. My "typical" London trip was 2 nights hotel, and they weren't primarily "earn" or "burn" trips.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 1:47 pm

It's the old cliche of life's a journey and you should enjoy it every step of the way. I'd say SQ F is a good way to enjoy the journey.

Plus if it's the choice between flying 2 days and spending 2 days on the ground or not going at all because your schedule does not permit more which would you pick from?

Twenty years from now would you rather say "Well I flew Qantas first class to Australia once on miles, had two fabulous days and nights in Sydney and then flew back first class consuming about a gallon of champagne on the entire trip." or "Well I saved up the 135,000 miles it would have cost to go but because I couldn't make it out there for a good length of time I never went."
Old Jun 16, 2007, 2:10 pm

I had the SQ EWR-SIN booked in J a few years ago, as an award. I just wanted to do it. Unfortunately, I got run over so, I had to cancel the flight!
Old Jun 16, 2007, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
No, unless it would have been to fly Concorde (and I never had the miles in the right programs to do this, although I did squeeze in a one-way paid trip before she retired forever).

I'm not opposed to redeeming miles for a short vacation where the flying time exceeds the actual ground time, but purely for the experience of flight? No dice, even if it is in a premium cabin on a world-class airline. My bed, couch, television/stereo, liquor cabinet, and dining options at home or in nearby restaurants are far superior to what even the best airlines in the world can offer.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
I'm doing this, more or less, next month to Paris. I'll only be there for a couple nights, but the main reason for me doing it is to start to use up some of the few hundred thousand miles I've built up over the past year. In fact, while I could have gotten the CO flight direct from EWR-CDG, I chose to fly via FRA on the outbound and YYZ on the return so that I could experience SQ, AC, and LH, all airlines (and aircraft) which I have never flown before. My thought is that I might as well use the miles while I can.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 4:56 pm

OP should read one of Seat 2A's trip reports...
Old Jun 16, 2007, 5:04 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
I'm nutty enough to try it! I, too, would love the try the legendary SQ C. While it's not likely to live up to all the hype, it's still a comfortable way to travel long distances, I'm sure. I don't find UA international C to be fatiguing, so two days on the ground and back would be a nice mini-vacation.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 5:33 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
If a miracle occurs and awards are available on the inaugural SQ A380 flights, and I can fit it into my schedule, then I will be doing just that.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm still confused...and now concerned that there are so many of you out there!
Old Jun 16, 2007, 5:58 pm

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Didn't lucky9876coins burn miles for six transpacs in 5 days on (of all airlines) UA F? Even though they were for reduced mileage through a mistake, I don't think he's old enough to drink his miles worth in champagne
Old Jun 16, 2007, 8:42 pm

Why not?

I'm not sure how that's any crazier than people who drive hours and hours just to fly a new airline, like many people did with Independence Air and Skybus.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Well, if I had millions of miles and not much vacation time it might be tempting, especially in something like F on SQ. Use 'em or watch 'em erode.

Thankfully, I've made enough time to do trips for both earning and burning. I won't turn down free domestic or int'l operational upgrades, but my specialty is using stopovers/open jaws to maximize places visited, and using free tickets to get places that'd cost lots of money to reach on paid tickets.

But there's probably a small minority sitting on huge mileage balances that even family members can't burn off. When Continental did its mileage auctions for prizes, some of the bid totals were pretty surprising.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Personally, 2 nights in Singapore is about right!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.