Wiki Posts
Search

Loudest seat on an AA flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2007, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT (2MM-- thank you FT!), UAL, DL, AF, BA
Loudest seat on an AA flight?

I'm asking, because I think I may have just sat it in it. Seat 4D on an AT7. It was like front row at a rock concert, even with the Bose headphones on!

Could there possibly be a louder row on a louder plane to be found anywhere in the entire AA fleet (except possibly 5D, right behind me)?

Needless to say, I changed my seats on the return to the back of the plane.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 9:35 pm

Any of the back few rows of an S80 will also qualify.

Mike
Old Jun 11, 2007, 9:52 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

o o p s y
Old Jun 11, 2007, 10:16 pm

Programs: AS, Hyatt
Whatever seat my wife is in after she has a few cocktails ...
Old Jun 11, 2007, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
The seat in proxmity of a crying baby or a young women on her cell phone with her girlfriend during a long ground delay is my vote.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 4:56 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Sit in 31 - 32 DEF on an MD-80, and you won't hear the baby or cell phone - the Pratt & Whitney JT8D on your shoulder will be all you hear (well, maybe your knees crying for relief too.)
Old Jun 12, 2007, 5:10 am

Programs: CO Gold, UA Premier Exec
1A on the ERJ, or even worse, the cockpit of an ERJ
Old Jun 12, 2007, 6:26 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
How about if several women in an extended family are getting together, and it happens that one of them joins another during a layover and travel the rest of the way to their destination together; they haven't spoken face-to-face for more than a year (doesn't matter how much time on the phone), and you got stuck in the middle seat between them.

Brings to mind the Mad About You episode when Paul has to listen to his sister-in-law's weird story after solemnly promising not to roll his eyes while she is relating it to him, and after she finishes and turns away he clutches his head from the strain of fighting the need to roll his eyes like Marty Feldman during her diatribe.

Steve
Old Jun 12, 2007, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by nako
Any of the back few rows of an S80 will also qualify.
The front 4 rows will too (during cruise). The MD-80 is extremely noisy in first class when the air conditioning packs are going at full blast.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT (2MM-- thank you FT!), UAL, DL, AF, BA
wow, given those alternatives, maybe I should consider myself lucky! It was absolutely deafening, but at least it was steady.... (and arriving on the island of grenada was pretty a pretty good reward)...

still, i learned the hard way that the best seats on that plane are in the BACK. (The silly plane also boards from the back, incidentally.)
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I cannot imagine sitting in the back seats on the MD80 next to the engines. I get deaf just waiting for the lav.

Programs: CO Gold, UA Premier Exec
Originally Posted by Herb687
The front 4 rows will too (during cruise). The MD-80 is extremely noisy in first class when the air conditioning packs are going at full blast.
It's not the packs that are noisy it's the wind noise over the forward part of the fuselage. The ERJ is the same way
Old Jun 12, 2007, 7:59 am

Programs: AA Plat (2MM), Hertz 5 star
Originally Posted by Keith Flyer Maven
I'm asking, because I think I may have just sat it in it. Seat 4D on an AT7. It was like front row at a rock concert, even with the Bose headphones on!

Could there possibly be a louder row on a louder plane to be found anywhere in the entire AA fleet (except possibly 5D, right behind me)?

Needless to say, I changed my seats on the return to the back of the plane.
The one next to my ex-wife?
Old Jun 12, 2007, 8:00 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As the MD80 reaches cruise speed, the wind noise gets louder and louder up front - not the air packs (though a few "air pax" have been loud. )

Originally Posted by Herb687
Old Jun 12, 2007, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by AEpilot76
It's not the packs that are noisy it's the wind noise over the forward part of the fuselage. The ERJ is the same way
Interesting. Always thought that the noise up front on an MD80 had to do with the mechanical innards of the plane; didn't realize it's just plain ol' wind noise that makes it so loud during cruise.

Personally I don't really mind the engine noise towards the back of an MD80. Although I hate the lack of windows in the last few rows. I find the steady drone of those JT-8s to be a reassuring sound. It was even more so in the beloved 727!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.