Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Waikiki sunset cocktail spot?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2007, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Best Waikiki sunset cocktail spot?

Husband & I hope to spend one evening having cocktails and watching the sunset. I'd like recommendations for a place that has nice views, great cocktails, is not overly stuffy/expensive, preferably with live music. Anything in the Hilton Hawaiian Village or within walking distance that would be good?
Old Jun 9, 2007, 5:50 pm

Programs: Many
We like the bar right on the beach with the big banyan tree out in back of the Sheraton Moana Surfrider.

Another is Duke's Canoe Club in the back of the Outrigger Waikiki right next door to the Moana. This one is louder, but cheaper.

There are other venues in most of the hotels right on the beach.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 5:51 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Check out Canoes Lounge at the Ilikai Hotel, next to HHV. Nice outdoor lanai bar, great views. http://www.ilikaihotel.com/dining/index.html
Old Jun 9, 2007, 5:59 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
the Mai Tai Bar at the Royal Hawaiian isn't bad, along with the other suggestions.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
the Mai Tai Bar at the Royal Hawaiian isn't bad, along with the other suggestions.
That would be my choice. It fits all of SPort's criteria. Good luck looking for the fabled "green flash."
Old Jun 9, 2007, 9:06 pm

House Without A Key at Halekulani. Mai Tais are perfection. Atmosphere is charming, as is the nightly entertainment. Relaxed, romantic and memorable. For a nice dinner, the Fresh Catch is always a winner.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 1:03 pm

The Green Flash

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
Good luck looking for the fabled "green flash."
Maybe you should explain what the Green Flash is. When the sky is perfectly clear to the horizon, during the last spit second of the sunset over the ocean, the sun turns green. I thought they were pulling my leg until I saw it myself!

Last edited by KenfromDE; Jun 10, 2007 at 1:08 pm
Old Jun 10, 2007, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Great suggestions.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Originally Posted by SPort
Great suggestions.
Which ones did you try, SPort?

I second the Mai Tai bar at Royal Hawaiian for a literally beachside location without crowds.

Views of the sunset could be a little more expansive at the Surfrider & Dukes or on the HHV/Ilikai side, but why not try them over a few nights?

Ask kaukau about the view from his and Mrs K's Suite at the Hawaii Prince!
Old Jun 12, 2007, 8:02 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by BiziBB
Which ones did you try, SPort?

I second the Mai Tai bar at Royal Hawaiian for a literally beachside location without crowds.

Views of the sunset could be a little more expansive at the Surfrider & Dukes or on the HHV/Ilikai side, but why not try them over a few nights?

Ask kaukau about the view from his and Mrs K's Suite at the Hawaii Prince!
Aloha, BiziBB!

How's things down under? Think about you every time I scratch my back with "Little Roo". Also thinking about chilling that fine Tassie Pinot Gris one of these evenings for sunset. But the Mudgee is staying cellared, at least until your next visit!

Speaking of Waikiki sunsets, yeah, that view from our room at the Prince was fair enough, I'd say.

Say "Hi" to the Mrs. for us!!!!

Mr. & Mrs. k.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Originally Posted by kaukau
Aloha, BiziBB!
How's things down under? Think about you every time I scratch my back with "Little Roo". Also thinking about chilling that fine Tassie Pinot Gris one of these evenings for sunset. But the Mudgee is staying cellared, at least until your next visit!
Glad to hear that Skippy is on the case!
Maui definitely, next time (unless we see you first in Vegas!)
We will be back in time for the Mountain Blue, no worries!

Originally Posted by kaukau
Speaking of Waikiki sunsets, yeah, that view from our room at the Prince was fair enough, I'd say.

Say "Hi" to the Mrs. for us!!!!

Mr. & Mrs. k.
Both myself and Mrs BiziBB especially enjoyed our time with ya in HNL and are up for it again! For now, we are happy when we see some scenes of the Illikai in Hawaii Five-O.

Sunsets here are now 4.45PM, so we miss those 7.20ish times along Waikiki and Waikoloa. Enjoy the summer! May you enjoy big tips and winning tickets!
Old Jun 14, 2007, 11:57 am

I second the vote for the House Without a Key at the Halekulani. It's definitely walking distance to the HHV, they have nightly entertainment of the ukulele and hula variety, and the world's best (in my opinion) Mai Tai. Add a great view of Diamond Head..what more could you want?
Old Jun 18, 2007, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA 2MM
I 'third' the motion for Halekulani's House w/out a Key; it's a beautiful, but low-key, spot. The ocean in front, Diamond Head to the left, nice Hawaiian music and hula, a list of great sundowners - it's hard to beat.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Can I fourth the suggestion for the House Without a Key? Hand's down, the best spot.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by slippahs
Can I fourth the suggestion for the House Without a Key?
And a fifth ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.