Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

The Westin Palace, Madrid, Spain pre 2007 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2002, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CM Presidential, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite

I will be staying at the Westin Palace in Madrid shortly. Any input on the hotel in general and on Platinum perks in special?

Thanks in advance.

Old Mar 24, 2002, 4:23 pm

Location: DL: PM/2M; UA: 1K; AA: Plat/2MM; SQ: PPS; US: Plat; Starwood: Plat; Hilton: Diam Hyatt: Diam; Loews Plat; Avis: Chair.
Arguably the best hotel in Madrid (along with the Ritz). Generous upgrades (stayed probably a dozen times, only one stay not in at least a Jr Suite). Great food in all venues. Good location, close to everything.
Old Mar 24, 2002, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
The Palace Hotel in Madrid is wonderful. It is a former CIGA, former Luxury Collection property, in the grand old European style. It has a fantastic lounge area with a beautiful stained glass ceiling that must be from the beginning of the 20th century. The Principe di Savoia, in Milan, has a similar ceiling, as does the brasserie Bofinger in Paris, and a few other places around Europe. The hotel serves a magnificent breakfast there, with smoked salmon, jamón, cava, and just about anything else you can imagine.

On the platinum amenities front, the news is not so good. Last time I was there, they offered me a so-called suite, but it turned out to be simply an L-shaped room with a sofa in one end of the L. And a view onto absolutely nothing, except the outer dome of the ceiling referred to above. I preferred a simpler room, on a low floor, with a view into the Plaza de Neptuno, the Prado park, etc. I didn?t make much of a fuss because I was alone and my stay was brief. However, on a visit in 2001, when I was accompanied by my partner, I did ask to talk to the Guest Relations Manager. The result of that was a magnificent suite (a real one, with a fully separate sitting area), overlooking the Plaza de Neptuno, on a high floor. If you really want a suite, you can always check on the Internet to see what?s available. The staff are not overly forthcoming with the facts.
Old Mar 24, 2002, 5:48 pm
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
I have only stayed in this hotel Mon - Thurs nights, and totally enjoyed it, despite not getting a suite. The check-in staff do have a well rehersed speech about the hotel not having many suites - not unlike the Pulitzer in Amsterdam. However, the mid range rooms are still very well appointed. Traffic noise can be loud - so forget the view and go for an internal room (imho).

This is one of my favourite hotels in Europe - and the place where I spent the night of September 11..oh and had breakfast sitting next to the former UK Foreign Secretary the other week (it is close to the spanish parliament building).
Old Mar 25, 2002, 1:33 am

Great hotel, great location, beautiful halls
to the rooms, marble baths, and we loved the
warm-toned rooms. I was only gold in 1999, but they gave us a nice room and were very
helpful. Try the Caffe di Roma just down the road! Best chocolate croissants and caffe latte for $2 we ever had!
Old Mar 25, 2002, 5:51 am

I too will be heading to Madrid shortly, staying at the Palace, then off to Seville and the Hotel Alfonso XIII.
Any comments on the Hotel Alfonso? Also transportation options to both hotels (from the Train Station and Airport respectively)?
Thank you
Old Mar 25, 2002, 7:38 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I was very disappointed with the Palace
Madrid in regards to Platinum recognition.
They said- nada! Location good. My
disappointment was quickly made up at the
Alfonso in Seville. Given beautiful suite on
top floor w/ view of gardens/pool area in
back of Hotel. Concierge staff great. Lot's
of amenities as Platinum. Good Japanese
restaurant at Hotel. Location could not be
better. Took taxi from MAD to Palace- no
problem. Little expensive. Took train from
MAD to Seville. Taxi fine from rail terminal
to Hotel. Took plane from Seville to BCN.
Spanair. You will enjoy Seville. Next time
I am booking another Hotel in MAD. Sorry-
Westin. Regards

[This message has been edited by RTWSTARALLIANCE (edited 03-25-2002).]
Old Mar 25, 2002, 12:21 pm

The Alfonso XIII is fabulous! Loved it even more than the Westin Madrid. The walls are covered in silk, ornate ceilings and large entry area to store lots of luggage. I was gold in 1999 and they sent up some really nice wine and champagne as an amenity. Try the tapas diagonally from the hotel at the end of the street next to the fancy restaurant that requires you ring the doorbell before you enter. The best and freshest shrimp we have ever eaten!
Old Mar 25, 2002, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CM Presidential, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Well, before we change the topic to the Affonso XIII, thanks for the remarks on the Westin Madrid. I will post when I come back.
Old Mar 25, 2002, 3:38 pm

We had a very enjoyable stay at the Palace several years ago (before the change to Westin). We did not get a suite, but got an upgraded room (from the lowest rate that we were paying). We then returned to the hotel about 5 days later for another night, and were puzzled by the empty suitcase in our room. When I phoned down and stated that someone left a suitcase in our room, I was told that this was a gift. It was, in fact, brand new, and my wife was loaded with shopping bags when we arrived at the front desk, but I was not sure how the bag could have been brought to the room so quickly ahead of us (if it was in response to my wife's bags). An incident that remains a mystery to this day...
Old Mar 26, 2002, 7:51 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
A pleasant incident. When I arrived at my
assigned room at the Sheraton SFO a large
suitcase was also in the room before me. I
guess it was a gift also. New Starwood
promotion. j/k Sorry to get off the subject.
Old May 30, 2002, 10:57 am

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
The Westin Palace, Madrid, Spain [Master Thread 1 of 2 - Pre-2005]

Does anyone have any experience at the Westin Palace Hotel in Madrid, Spain?

Can people suggest rooms? Great things at the hotel?
Old May 30, 2002, 12:22 pm

My wife and I spent a week there last October. It was very busy with high security because of preparations for an ex-presidents convention. Clinton, Thatcher, Gorbachov ect. They all arrived as we were leaving. Very comfortable hotel, we were on the 2nd floor, very nice upscale room. Staff very friendly and good service in the bar. Great location, just accross the street from the Prado.

Old May 30, 2002, 4:01 pm

I stayed at the Palace in November of 2000, and had an extremely enjoyable stay. I ended up in a suite somehow, perhaps by paying for a "Deluxe" room (I wasn't Starwood Gold or Platinum at the time). Service was top notch, the room was beautiful, and the hotel is generally lovely. This was one of the most enjoyable places I've stayed in Europe.
Old May 31, 2002, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I stayed there back when it was the Sheraton Palace and it was indeed a great hotel with great staff in a great location. It's the best choice for a tourist. If you are on business, you may need a different location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.