Wiki Posts
Search

Feds to suspend border passport rule

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2007, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Feds to suspend border passport rule

WASHINGTON - The Bush administration is poised to suspend a major post-9/11 security initiative to cope with increasingly angry complaints from Americans whose summer vacations are threatened by new passport rules.

More at:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070607/...e/us_passports
Old Jun 7, 2007, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
The government? Listening?

W. O. W.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond
Rep. Heather Wilson ..."I said, 'You need to take action. This is completely screwed up'," she said. "To say people must have a passport to travel and not give people a passport is right up there in the stupid column."

Homeland Security = Right up there in the Stupid Column

Hey Rep. Wilson -- nice quote -- but this is something that FFs have known for years.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by redbeard911
The government? Listening?

W. O. W.
Enough constituents of Republican Congressmembers being inconvenienced is about the only thing that gets This Administration to back down. Those M C's aren't willing to lose their jobs over this one; now they can tell all the applicants with travel plans: "See - I fixed this for you!"
Old Jun 8, 2007, 7:32 am

On one hand, this follows along with my Liberitarian principles about travelling freely without the gubment tracking my every move.

On the other hand, I'd like to see the law stick around as punishment for any idiot who doesn't have a passport. What kind of inbred backwoods redneck doesn't have a passport by the time they're 10???

I'm betting it's all of the WN folks...
Old Jun 8, 2007, 7:44 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Originally Posted by brendog
On the other hand, I'd like to see the law stick around as punishment for any idiot who doesn't have a passport. What kind of inbred backwoods redneck doesn't have a passport by the time they're 10???
That's pretty harsh.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
It's not really suspending the rule - you still need to show proof you at least applied for a new passport, it's not like you can just assume to travel to/from Canada with a BC and DL like before - I'm sure you will be asked for a copy of some type of receipt from the passport office.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
...What kind of inbred backwoods redneck doesn't have a passport by the time they're 10??? ...
For most of the country, the only international travel they've done is via the Travel Channel. Americans are very poor global travelers which adds to the 'ignorance' factor.

I believe about 75% or so of the country has never had a passport...or some similar statistic
Old Jun 8, 2007, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by bocastephen
For most of the country, the only international travel they've done is via the Travel Channel. Americans are very poor global travelers which adds to the 'ignorance' factor.

I believe about 75% or so of the country has never had a passport...or some similar statistic
Yes, but I think you can read too much into that statistic. For instance, up until now lots of people traveled internationally, to Canada, the Carribean, Mexico, etc, and didn't need a passport. Also, not everybody can afford a European (or Asian, African, etc) vacation. Just because you're working hard to raise a family, pay the mortgage, etc doesn't make you ignorant (or a redneck ).
Old Jun 8, 2007, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Americans probably don't travel as much, but don't you find that statistic you quoted a little skewed? In most areas, say Europe, a passport is necessary to travel even a very short distance. Americans on the other hand could travel through much of North America, some Pacific and Caribbean islands with a only birth certificate. That accomodates many vacations and climates. Many travel plans didn't require a passport and so it was not purchased.

EDITED: Sorry fairviewroad. Your post wasn't there while I wrote this.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
What kind of inbred backwoods redneck doesn't have a passport by the time they're 10???
Me. For one. I hope this fact does not bother you too much or cause you undue angst.

Until this latest application surge by Canadian border and Caribbean cruise folks, right at 30% of US citizens were passport holders. You just insulted 70% of the country in one sentence. Congratulations on a job well done.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by rrgg
say Europe, a passport is necessary to travel even a very short distance.
Only for foreigners. For Europeans, even way before Schengen, national ID cards sufficed to move across borders in continental western Europe. And most everyone has an ID card.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 8:35 am

Programs: WN A List Preferred and CP, AA, IHG Spire, Hertz #1 Gold 5*, Hilton Diamond, Enterprise Platinum

I'm betting it's all of the WN folks...

guilty on all counts except not inbred, not redneck
Old Jun 8, 2007, 1:09 pm

Question

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
Me. For one. I hope this fact does not bother you too much or cause you undue angst.

Until this latest application surge by Canadian border and Caribbean cruise folks, right at 30% of US citizens were passport holders. You just insulted 70% of the country in one sentence. Congratulations on a job well done.
I only insulted 70% of the nation at once? Dang, I can usually count on insulting 85% with my sarcastic/sardonic barbs. I must be losing my touch.

Seriously, though, how can someone have not had at least 1 or 2 trips across the pond or down to Latin America during their lifetime? It seems unfathomable. I was quite shocked last year when I found out that several of my direct reports didn't have a passport and hadn't thought of getting one despite the fact that we've been working on international projects for years and that the company reimburses the cost of getting an expedited passport.

Last edited by brendog; Jun 8, 2007 at 1:10 pm Reason: Forgot about the correct usage of gerunds...
Old Jun 8, 2007, 1:23 pm

Seriously, though, how can someone have not had at least 1 or 2 trips across the pond or down to Latin America during their lifetime? It seems unfathomable. I was quite shocked last year when I found out that several of my direct reports didn't have a passport and hadn't thought of getting one despite the fact that we've been working on international projects for years and that the company reimburses the cost of getting an expedited passport.
Well then, isn't it nice that a site like FlyerTalk exists so that you can broaden your horizons? If you're this easily shocked by and disturbed by a common fact, I'd suggest that you travel more widely within your own country so that you can be introduced to a range of different perspectives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.