Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Proposal: Airline Conversion 'Express' Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2007, 1:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KLM Plat For Life/UA Million Miler-PremEx For Life/SPG Gold

One of the challenges with the SPG converson to airline miles is that it can take anywhere from 5-30 days depending on airline...very unpredictable, combined with the fact that many FFPs now allow a much shorter courtesy hold time for award reservations.

So, for $XX, wouldn't it be worth it to pay SPG a modest fee to guarantee that they would expedite the airline conversion process within 24-48 hours.

Win/win- SPG gets some incremental $$, customers avoid risk of losing a courtesy hold award bookings, and customers avoid the risk of converting points into an FFP that they end up not being able to use.

While I'm not a big fan of 'convenience' fees, this one I think has some serious utiliy and benefit.

What that $XX could or should be, that is the question!!!
Old Jun 1, 2007, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Good idea. Except, cynic that I am, it could degenerate into a mandatory fee for all conversions, with no guarantee of express speed. (Thinking mandatory $25 AA-->HHonors conversion fee, for example.)

It's possible also that Starwood just doesn't have enough control over the process to guarantee a rapid conversion. @:-)
Old Jun 1, 2007, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Good idea. Except, cynic that I am, it could degenerate into a mandatory fee for all conversions, with no guarantee of express speed. (Thinking mandatory $25 AA-->HHonors conversion fee, for example.)

It's possible also that Starwood just doesn't have enough control over the process to guarantee a rapid conversion. @:-)
I agree with you - based on personal experience. Many of the airlines have ancient computer systems, so it may not be possible to guarntee the expedited fee at any cost.

For example, I just came back from Beijing. Part of my routing was Tokyo-Hong Kong and Hong Kong to Beijing and back - all on Cathay Pacific and all in business class. Both of them were ticketed through the American Airlines site and I requested AAdvantage credit for them. The NRT-HKG points showed up within 36 hours of the flight in both directions. The HKG-PEK points showed up 14 days after the final flight.

Then there's the point tracking system itself. Once a month, they shut the system down to update the monthly statements. It takes over a day just to prepare monthly statements - and the system is down all that time.

Until the airlines fix their systems, what the OP is proposing can't happen.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 4:59 am
Original Poster

The potential for this proposal clearly exists as Amex MR points are posting in real time or very quickly with CO, DL, HI, AC, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=697384

Maybe the whole point of the expedite fee is to get these conversions done manually (gasp!) to insure they are completed in timely manner.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 5:59 am
Original Poster

THe beauty of an SPG point is that it is a 'free agent', able to converted into any of some 20+ FFPs. Which means when you are loooking for an award seat, you theoretically can increase your award redemption potential 25 fold.

So, you SHOULD be able to find a seat in any program, even one you don't currently belong to, then, open an account in 5 minutes, get a 48-72 hour hold, then contact SPG to dump points into your newly opened account, so the award can be redeemed.

THats when SPG points are truly being optimized.

Last edited by beaubo; Jun 1, 2007 at 8:19 am
Old Jun 5, 2007, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Good example of WHY this service is worthy of consideration.

Was going to top off a CX account for an award booking that I was holding. CX gave me 2 extensions while waiting for the SPG poinyts to transfer, but after 2.5 weeks, CX advised that I had to either buy CX points (ouch, expensive) or lose the booking (a tough one to get in the first place) and hope it would still be available when the SPG points finally converted to Asia Miles.

Just like paying for passport expediters, an express transfer service seems like it could fill a valuable niche.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

I'm going to bring this round the horn again.

Maybe William can chime in about this concept.

...and I DON'T work for SPG revenue mngt!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 19, 2007, 6:28 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by beaubo
I'm going to bring this round the horn again.

Maybe William can chime in about this concept.

...and I DON'T work for SPG revenue mngt!!!!!!!!!
While I can appreciate the passion and the sentiment, I think that you have to first realize that it takes two to tango. By that, I mean that in order to transfer points to an airline partner a contractual marketing agreement must be in place that benefits both parties, their members notwithstanding.

So far, we have three airlines willing to offer expedited service of this kind; however, even those who are among a coalition of the willing have told us they are only willing to do so under emergency situations.

Until these three airline partners are willing to change their mind on that and until others become willing to work it into their contractual agreements with us, I don't ever see this becoming a reality. I don't think we have a problem entertaining the possibility, but I think you are discounting the hesitancy on the other end of the pipeline.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Sep 20, 2007, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Until these three airline partners are willing to change their mind on that and until others become willing to work it into their contractual agreements with us, I don't ever see this becoming a reality. I don't think we have a problem entertaining the possibility, but I think you are discounting the hesitancy on the other end of the pipeline.
[email protected]

Hi William-

Just got of the phone with your compatriots (sounds nice than 'scumbag competitors'!) from Marriott Rewards. Lo and behold, they offer a TWO AND THREE DAY EXPRESS TRANSFER TO MANY OF THEIR PARTICIPATING AIRLINES FOR $15.

PER MR WEBSITE........

Please note: Once frequent flyer miles have been requested, miles will automatically be transferred to your frequent flyer account. Please allow approximately six weeks for miles to be posted to your frequent flyer account or contact your local Marriott Rewards office to inquire about express service (may include a fee).

Per MR Customer Service Office in San Antonio

2 Day Express Transfer: AA, BA, DL, SW, US
3 Day Express Transfer: AC, AZ, CZ, SQ, MX, TP
not available: AL, CX, F9, QF, SN, TP, UA, Virgin

With this compelling info, might it be worth re-visiting this issue with the SPG braintrust (sounds nicer than 'clueless shirts'!).

Am hopeful this might spur SPG to explore a little deeper about the potential to accomplish this apparently, modest and replicatable request!

Last edited by beaubo; Sep 20, 2007 at 1:23 pm Reason: followup phone call to confirm info; got more detailed info
Old Sep 20, 2007, 1:34 pm

...With this compelling info, might it be worth re-visiting this issue with the SPG braintrust (sounds nicer than 'clueless shirts'!).

Am hopeful this might spur SPG to explore a little deeper about the potential to accomplish this apparently, modest and replicatable request!
Just because Marriott's airline partners are willing to work this into their marketing agreement with MR doesn't necessarily mean that they would be willing to do so with SPG. However, I'll forward it up the braintrust at SPG nonetheless.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Sep 20, 2007, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

However, I'll forward it up the braintrust at SPG nonetheless.[/email]
If you think a little FTer advocacy would be helpful, I'd be poised to zip into HQ to make the case!!

I think there is a huge untapped marketing angle here, as referenced above:

'Use SPG's express transfer service, so those hard-to-get mileage awards won't be hard-to-KEEP because of short courtsey holds!!'
Old Sep 20, 2007, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Having had some insight into similar systems before, it's not as easy as pressing a button. It sounds like Starwood's systems may have technology constraints that limit their ability to send conversion files to their partner airlines. Furthermore, since this is likely an expensive conversion for them (i.e. they pay a premium to buy airline miles) vs. having people redeem on Starwood property awards, the lengthy transfer process is a disincentive to use points on these pricey awards. Finally, when it comes down to it, I doubt speedy transfers ranks high on their list of tech investments as the return is difficult to justify.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
Having had some insight into similar systems before, it's not as easy as pressing a button. It sounds like Starwood's systems may have technology constraints that limit their ability to send conversion files to their partner airlines. Furthermore, since this is likely an expensive conversion for them (i.e. they pay a premium to buy airline miles) vs. having people redeem on Starwood property awards, the lengthy transfer process is a disincentive to use points on these pricey awards. Finally, when it comes down to it, I doubt speedy transfers ranks high on their list of tech investments as the return is difficult to justify.
Well

I guess my only question would be- why would Marriott, a direct and similarly sized competitor of Starwood, choose to invest the money and infrastructure and Starwood would choose not to??
Old Sep 20, 2007, 2:11 pm

Well

I guess my only question would be- why would Marriott, a direct and similarly sized competitor of Starwood, choose to invest the money and infrastructure and Starwood would choose not to??
LOL. They might be a direct competitor alright, but similarly-sized?

Personally, and this is only my opinion here, I think we can get points to any marketing partner whenever and however they want them. Otherwise, why could we get them to AMEX MR in two days and American in three? But, I also happen to think JohnnyP's points are well-taken...there may be some folks for whom this would be an expensive proposition to pull off and it may be low on their list of priorities to do so.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Sep 20, 2007, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

LOL. They might be a direct competitor alright, but similarly-sized?

Personally, and this is only my opinion here, I think we can get points to any marketing partner whenever and however they want them. Otherwise, why could we get them to AMEX MR in two days and American in three? But, I also happen to think JohnnyP's points are well-taken...there may be some folks for whom this would be an expensive proposition to pull off and it may be low on their list of priorities to do so.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[/email]
First and foremost, I appreciate your prompt reply AND your willingess to take action about this issue. So, please don't think my continued pleasant debating on this, is any reflection about my dissatisfaction about your original explanation.

Rather, I'm just trying to get the best understanding possible about the decisionmaking process.

From your post above, it sounds as if the initiative here needs to be the airline programs ACCEPTING the express transfer capability, NOT the hotel programs REQUESTING such capability. I guess I'm a bit perplexed why some airlines have chosen to opt in with Marriott, but not Starwood? Is it possible Starwood just hasn't asked the airlines? Or have the airlines given Starwood specific reasons why they choose not to accept express transfers? And of course, to those airlines that don't accept Starwood express transfers, but DO accept Marriott....wassup wid dat?? (You might have a different way of phrasing that query!)

I'm not sure how the $15 is divvied up once it is paid to Marriott. But, if there needs to be a greater incentive for the airlines to participate in an express transfer program, clearly Starwood can charge for it and figure out compensation to the airline programs for participating.

Since the express transfer is an OPTIONAL service, I don't anticipate that there would be too much objection to a fee that would insure that SPG and the airlines could cover costs and/or make a profit on this service.

[email][email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.