Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2007, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Brazil Congress may eliminate visas

Story
Old May 19, 2007, 7:05 am

It says no date is set for a vote on the bill. Anyone have guesses as to when is a likely date? (Will this happen prior to Carnaval?) I'm not familiar with how Congress works. Thank you.
Old May 19, 2007, 8:54 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Good move... ^ I hope this gets passes, it will bring more tourism to not only Brazil but also the entire South American region.
Old May 19, 2007, 5:41 pm

With 8 Brasilian visas in my Australian passport (at a total cost of about $US400) I'd love it to happen but I've been reading reports on this in the Brasilian press for the last 2 years.

Passing a commitee is astep in the right direction but who knows what the timeline will be on this.

The tourism industry and Tourism Ministry are supportive but the Mihistry responsible for external affairs seems to want to maintain the reciprocity system. Maybe it gets to pocket all the visa fees!
Old May 19, 2007, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I certainly hope it passes. Or if not, then at least a 5 year visa requirement for the $150 or so I end up shelling out for a Brazilian visa, and then only getting a 90 day entry!
Old May 19, 2007, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
The tourism industry and Tourism Ministry are supportive but the Mihistry responsible for external affairs seems to want to maintain the reciprocity system. Maybe it gets to pocket all the visa fees!
Then they should do something like Chile. Ok, stick it to every one that sticks it to them, but don't make it into a hassle. Just pay $100 upon arrival, and it is good for the life of your passport (whether you have 6 months left on it, or 10 years left). The ordeal of getting the visa (2 trips to the consul, or paying a service) plus the "90 day or 5 year lotto", plus needing to go within a short time after getting the visa, when you combine them all probably has a fair chilling effect. Making you simply pay $100 when you land, while annoying, keeps most of their revenue stream
Old May 19, 2007, 6:10 pm

Good for the life of your passport if you are lucky enough to be from the USA.If you are from Oz the Chilean reciprocity fee is only valid for 90 days.

Maybe if the fee was collected at the airport it would disappear into the coffers of the Policia Federal and the Ministry wouldn't see any of the money.

I do agree with you though - the hassle of passport photos, return tickets and 2 visits to the consulate would be nice to avoid.
Old May 19, 2007, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1 Million; HH Gold; HGVC
I was one of the fortunate ones who got a 5 yr visas just before things changed. I think mine runs out in less than 2 yrs. Hope they change things before then. It is difficult for me to believe, however that the Brazilian Gov't will change anything unless the US changes its policy toward our Brazilian neighbors first. Seems like they (Brazilian Gov't) mirror our policy changes on this issue.
Old May 19, 2007, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by david7021
Seems like they (Brazilian Gov't) mirror our policy changes on this issue.
No. Brazil initiated the fee, not the US. Brazil also initiated increases at least through 2002. See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...6&postcount=12
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...3&postcount=44

Last edited by rrgg; May 25, 2007 at 4:09 am
Old May 19, 2007, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Good for the life of your passport if you are lucky enough to be from the USA.If you are from Oz the Chilean reciprocity fee is only valid for 90 days...
Because Oz wil not grant 10 year visas but the US will. Reciprocity in action.
Old May 20, 2007, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Viajero
Because Oz wil not grant 10 year visas but the US will. Reciprocity in action.

I realise the reasoning behind it but I'll still complain

I wonder if the bean counters actually sit down and work out the cost benefit of something like this though. I go to South America 3 times a year. I usually fly LAN and pass through Santiago. In the past 5 years I have spent 1 night in Chile. I avoid Chile because of the $US70 that is charged on entry. Chile loses maybe a couple of thousand dollars spending a year just from me.

Argentina (which also could charge Australians a reciprocity fee but doesn't) is always on my stopover list and I spend a few days in Buenos Aires if I'm passing through.

I think (but could be wrong) that far more Australians would be passing through Santiago on the way to another South American country than Chileans would be passing through Sydney on the way to another country. If a significant number of those Australians don't stay in Chile when they otherwise may have stayed for a few days the charging of the fee becomes counter-productive (at least financially)

I remember the one time I did stay in Santiago for a night in the last few years there was an Australian family 2 adults and 3 children who were staying in Chile for 1 night and were not too happy that they had to pay $US350 for the family to enter Chile. At least everyone going to Australia knows up front that they require a visa and what it costs - no nasty surprises at Sydney airport.
Old May 20, 2007, 9:56 am

Programs: AA EXP
...I avoid Chile because of the $US70 that is charged on entry...
Then you are avoiding Chile for the wrong reason, because it is not USD70, and the family of 5 you met a few years ago could not possibiliy have paid USD350. I suggest you recheck your information.
Old May 20, 2007, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Viajero
Then you are avoiding Chile for the wrong reason, because it is not USD70, and the family of 5 you met a few years ago could not possibiliy have paid USD350. I suggest you recheck your information.

Well my information comes from being an Australian and paying it about a year ago. If you know it to have changed in the last 12 months it might be more helpful if you actualy posted the new charge.

The website of the Chilean consulate in Sydney quotes $US30, the Chilean Embassy in Canberra $US56 -I'm not sure whether that is up to date. Nevertheless it doesn't alter the arguement.

Last edited by 3544quebec; May 20, 2007 at 6:12 pm
Old May 20, 2007, 6:11 pm

From the SCL airport website-

IMPUESTO DE RECIPROCIDAD
Todos aquellos pasajeros con pasaporte proveniente de Australia, Canad, Estados Unidos y Mxico debern pagar un impuesto de reciprocidad antes de realizar su ingreso por Polica Internacional.

PAS

VALOR
Australia
US$ 56
Canad
US$ 132
Estados Unidos
US$ 100
Mxico
US$ 15

My apologies for exagerating my costs by $14 and the family only had to pay $US280 for their right to enter Chile for 1night -I'm sure that made them feel much happier
Old May 21, 2007, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
At least everyone going to Australia knows up front that they require a visa and what it costs - no nasty surprises at Sydney airport.
.. and I guess with just a little gumption they could know up front about the requirement in Chile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.