Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enterprise To Buy National Car Rental

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2007, 6:56 pm
3AK
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage (since 1981) Lifetime Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; National Car Rental VIP;
Enterprise To Buy National Car Rental

ST. LOUIS — Enterprise Rent-A-Car announced late Friday it has agreed to buy Vanguard Car Rental Group Inc., which operates the Alamo and National chains.

Both companies are privately held, and Enterprise did not release financial details of the acquisition. The deal must be approved by antitrust regulators in the United States and Canada before it goes through.

Enterprise is the largest U.S. rental car company, with 7,000 locations worldwide and a fleet of 800,000 vehicles. Tulsa, Okla.-based Vanguard has 3,800 locations and 300,000 vehicles worldwide, according to Enterprise.

Purchasing Vanguard would help Enterprise expand its airport rental business, the company said.

Most of St. Louis-based Enterprise's branches are found in neighborhoods or on commercial strips, with only 230 located at airports, while virtually all of Vanguard's outlets are at airports, said Enterprise spokeswoman Laura Bryant.

No decision has been made as to whether the Alamo and National brands would remain, or if they might be renamed under the Enterprise flag.

One benefit of the planned acquisition for Enterprise would be increased leverage with automakers, said Chris Brown, managing editor of Auto Rental News.

"I would imagine their buying power will get even better," Brown said.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 7:09 pm
3AK
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage (since 1981) Lifetime Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; National Car Rental VIP;
I’m interested in what my fellow Emerald Aisle travelers think about this. I have the executive aisle status and enjoy this very much and will be very disappointed if Enterprise doesn’t keep the concept alive. Sadly, I predict that Enterprise will convert National to an all-Enterprise operation. Enterprise tends not to be very user-friendly for frequent business travelers at Airports.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 8:51 pm

Programs: CO Pt Infinite (1k life)/ 1MM - NW/DL Silver life/1 MM
On the surface, most definitely not good news.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL Gold, National Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by 3AK
I’m interested in what my fellow Emerald Aisle travelers think about this. I have the executive aisle status and enjoy this very much and will be very disappointed if Enterprise doesn’t keep the concept alive. Sadly, I predict that Enterprise will convert National to an all-Enterprise operation. Enterprise tends not to be very user-friendly for frequent business travelers at Airports.
I would be willing to bet that if they do away with the Emerald Aisle, they will loose TONS of customers to Hertz or Avis which are the only other option for true counter skipping....
Old Mar 30, 2007, 9:34 pm

This Is Without A Doubt The Worst News Ive Read On Flyertalk Ina Long Time. I Was Hoping It Was Some Kind Of Sick Joke. As An Everyday Renter (my Company Pays For My Rentals And Ive Have A Corporate Contract With National), I Have Been Privileged To Be An Emerald Club Executive Elite Member For 2 Years Now And Have Enjoyed Unparalled Cs At The Locations Ive Rented. Great Rates, No Hassles With Minor Scratches Or Dings At Airport Locations, Additional Coupon Combining, And Bonus Mileage Credit Are But A Few Of The Perks At National. Before National, I Was With Hertz (pres. Circle) And Avis (pref. Select) And Their Service, Rates, And Cs Dont Come Close. Before That (2000-2003) I Had The Extreme Displeasure Of Being With Enterprise. Horrendous Cs, Overpriced Rates And Sub-par Vehicles Are Some Examples Of That "organization". Please Tell Me This Is An Early April Fools Joke - I Havent Seen This News Anywhere Else. If Its Not, We Would Be The Losing The Only Truly Customer Friendly Car Rental Organization In The World. Hertz, Avis/budget, And Dollar/thrifty Dont Come Close. Enterprise Isnt Even On The Same Page - I'd Rather Go With Rent-a-wreck.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 10:53 pm

Programs: Hertz Five Star, National Emerald Club, Avis Preferred, Aeroplan
This is very bad news and I will no longer use National due to this change. I had very bad experiences with Enterprise and refuse to rent from them. This is terrible news for car renters.

BTW, this is not an April Fools joke. See below:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17879232/
Old Mar 30, 2007, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood/Marriott Plat, Others of little note
Originally Posted by 3AK
ST. LOUIS — Enterprise Rent-A-Car announced late Friday it has agreed to buy Vanguard Car Rental Group Inc., which operates the Alamo and National chains.

Both companies are privately held, and Enterprise did not release financial details of the acquisition. The deal must be approved by antitrust regulators in the United States and Canada before it goes through.

Enterprise is the largest U.S. rental car company, with 7,000 locations worldwide and a fleet of 800,000 vehicles. Tulsa, Okla.-based Vanguard has 3,800 locations and 300,000 vehicles worldwide, according to Enterprise.

Purchasing Vanguard would help Enterprise expand its airport rental business, the company said.

Most of St. Louis-based Enterprise's branches are found in neighborhoods or on commercial strips, with only 230 located at airports, while virtually all of Vanguard's outlets are at airports, said Enterprise spokeswoman Laura Bryant.

No decision has been made as to whether the Alamo and National brands would remain, or if they might be renamed under the Enterprise flag.

One benefit of the planned acquisition for Enterprise would be increased leverage with automakers, said Chris Brown, managing editor of Auto Rental News.

"I would imagine their buying power will get even better," Brown said.
Get ready for bait and switch, the hard sell on insurance, and all manner of other scams that Enterprise engages in daily. After too many such episodes I have sworn off Enterprise entirely. Now National and Alamo will be off my list. Luckily there are lots of other choices.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 12:52 am

Programs: ex AC SE100K now 75k :-( / Bonvoy Titanium / All Accor Gold/ Avis Presidents Club / National EE
If the Emerald benefits are stopped there will be a mass exodus to hertz/avis. The one time I rented with enterprise, the vehicle had many defects and was not well maintained. The manager of the location I rented from gave me a coupon for one free upgrade. Great compensation for a car that had a problem with the reliability. National is not the greatest company but I am happy to say that they have always been good to me as a customer. Lets all hope that Enterprise takes a page from Nationals book to improve their product and keep their loyal National customers happy!

Happy Travels!
Old Mar 31, 2007, 7:36 am

Programs: ~IHG(p)/BW~Nat'l.Exec~ ~NW(SE)~ ~Cessna~ NASM.do-07 ~AAAF.do-05/06/07/08/09
It's not like this will finalize by lunchtime on Monday, kids: panic is unwarranted.

I'll be content to see how things go on my first rental after the takeover; at the first sign of an infection of the typical Enterprise corporate behavior, our Green-cards can be gone in the next morning's mail.

/.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 9:23 am

enterprise

This is so true. I always experienced hard sell on insurance and at return looking for some scratch they can get you on. This is indeed bad news....

QUOTE=jedison;7501187]Get ready for bait and switch, the hard sell on insurance, and all manner of other scams that Enterprise engages in daily. After too many such episodes I have sworn off Enterprise entirely. Now National and Alamo will be off my list. Luckily there are lots of other choices.[/QUOTE]
Old Mar 31, 2007, 10:55 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Time to cash in the free rental credits. Enterprise could stay with the National method, but I do not see their zombie like culture allowing outsiders to prevail. Even the brainless Alamo allowed National to keep Emerald Aisle.
Alamo and Enterprise would be a good fit. Perhaps they will spin off National.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 11:33 am
s3n

Programs: Avis First, Hertz Gold, National EE
I just learned about this from my local National location today. Argh! I hope you people are right about Enterprise keeping the National brand/loyalty program. It's the only thing that keeps me from switch permanently to Hertz, even when National is a bit more expensive. Love those rental credits!

The local staff said they're polishing up their resumes, expecting to be closed when the take-over happens. I hope they're wrong!

I'm betting they keep the National (and maybe Alamo) brand, at least for the interim. While I don't like Enterprise operations, they're not so stupid that they'd dump the brand/EC and lose all that customer loyalty. In buying National, they're paying for that "goodwill" and I'd doubt they'd be willing to throw it away. Some comfort, at least.

Last edited by s3n; Mar 31, 2007 at 11:39 am
Old Mar 31, 2007, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
This is why I keep Hertz gold along with National.
If you search the internet you will find several offers for free Hertz Gold.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 2:04 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
In related news...Hertz has a huge spike in business as a result of this merger...more at 11.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
Guess i will be taking my 30 plus rentals over to Hertz

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.