Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Rewards Network (formerly iDine)
Reload this Page >

iDine Hotel Questions - Reserve via site to get miles? and other

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2007, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PP; Bonvoy SE

I'm new to iDine and never stayed at a hotel while with the program.

I'll be heading to Chicago for a conference and staying at the wonderful Palmer House Hilton, and all hotel reservations are required by our company to be made through their travel company. Reservations are in my name, and will be paid for with my personal credit card that's registered with iDine.

Do reservations have to be made through the RewardNetwork website to obtain the miles? I've tried reading through the fine print and searching the forums, but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer.

On the site:
"By using The AAdvantage Hotel Program by Rewards Network to book your reservation, you are earning 3435 miles on your hotel stay! "

Also on the site:
"Guidelines for earning your miles:In order to earn your reward you must pay your hotel bill with a valid credit card registered with Rewards Network. Your reward applies to the room rate only and does not include additional amenities such as the mini bar, room service, golf, spa, room taxes, or any other services charged to your room."

Edit:
I finally found the FAQ on the website.

"To receive AAdvantage miles for a stay at participating hotels, you need to be a member of the AAdvantage Hotel program and you must make your reservation through our reservation service - either online at aa.rewardsnetwork.com or by calling Member Services toll-free at 1-800-479-5981. You will not receive AAdvantage miles if you make your reservation through other methods. "

Any way to get around it, or chance to still earn miles? Reservations already made, and must be made through our company's agency. I don't find this system to be very enticing. Full pre-payment required for booking, and they don't appear to have very competitive prices. I reserved for $60 less per night

Last edited by majikTib; Mar 19, 2007 at 9:40 am
Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
The reservation must be made via Rewards Network.

My one experience with the hotel aspect of the iDine program was a true fiasco.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PP; Bonvoy SE
I don't imagine it comes close to being as popular as the Dining program.

Looking at the fine print, the rules and requirements... and considering that out of my 6 night stay, the savings of NOT using iDine would basically give me a free night. Earning 3,400 miles (and dealing with rules, restrictions, T&C, cancellation, upfront payment) is not worth giving up a free night.

I booked at $199 per night.
iDine has it at $259 per night.

$199 * 6 nights = $1200 (option of getting 2 additional nights for total price of iDine)
$260 * 6 nights = $1560 + hassle + upfront payment + 3400 miles

Of course, my company will reimburse me, so it's nothing out of my pocket. I just wondered if I could score miles while having my company pay for it.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club, Emerald Club, Amtrak
Note too, that depending on the hotel chain's T&C, one might not earn points in the hotel's frequent-visitor program when booking through rewards network.

My one experience was similar to 'Scounger's except with a happy ending. Got an email from HHonors CS saying that just this once they would give me stay credit and HHonors points, provided I swear to never-ever do it again.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
To be honest, eventually I got the airline miles to which I was entitled, in addition to the seriously under-reported amount the hotel represented I was due when iDine contacted them upon my inquiry. Here is how the whole deal went down ...

1) I reserve a stay via iDine at Hotel X in Manhattan.
2) I arrive late at night after a transcon desperately wanting to crash. I am walked across town.
3) The stay does not post after a couple of weeks. I call iDine, and am informed in NO uncertain terms that all hotel stays have 30 days from the date-of-checkout to post before followup.
4) I call 30 days later, offering to fax in my hotel receipt (matching the reservation they have on file). "No! We must now follow up directly with the hotel! [Don't call us, we'll post your miles when the hotel gets back to us]."
5) 3 - 4 weeks later, miles post at roughly 60% what I'm due. I call, and am advised: "That is the number the hotel told us to use." I was then (nearly 2 months after checkout) finally authorized to fax in my receipt.
6) A couple of weeks after that (10 or so weeks after checkout), a second line item posted for my correct miles, as per my fax.

Would you try them again?
Old Mar 19, 2007, 4:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Yeowch! This all points out why I continue to use my hotel affinity program and their website to book - lower prices apparently, and I get all the points (and miles if I want to get those instead of extra points,) without the kinds of hassles described above. IMO, if Rewards Network doesn't get some of these service issues made more customer friendly, it won't have the impact and attractiveness of the dining program.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:07 am

Hilton did not grant points...

on my iDine booking in San Antonio last year so I got AA miles only. It was the best rate though at that time.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 8:28 pm

Does the hotels found over on that link work the same way? based off your CC#?

For example: NIGHTLY RATE $179 MILES EARNED PER NIGHT 895
Does this have to be booked via that website to earn those miles?
If I stay at Hilton I get these miles PLUS the miles that hilton gives?

nm: Book your reservation through the AAdvantage Hotel program (either online or by calling Member Services) using a credit/debit card you've registered with the program.

plus there all websavers... requiring payment up front, with a cancel needing to be by 3PM one day prior. Screw that mess.

umm, double negative: Cancellations After 12:00pm Local Hotel Time/day Of Arrival - No Refund. Cancellations After Booking Reservation - 1st Night's Room, Tax And Fees Plus $25 Cancel Fee Per Room.

Last edited by sundrop; Apr 4, 2007 at 8:35 pm
Old Apr 6, 2007, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, SWA A+, SPG Titanium, Avis Chairman
Has anyone tried with an Intercontinental hotel? I booked one night next week and since it is a websaver fare I assumed I would get my PC points. Has anyone experienced it either way? The PC points are more important to me right now, so I'll only do the one night out of many upcoming stays if I don't get IC points or night credits for the stay x promo.

*EDIT* I called the hotel and they said the rate did qualify for points. I am still testing with one night, but this should be a nice bonus.

Last edited by edlin303; Apr 8, 2007 at 4:21 pm Reason: updated info
Old Apr 15, 2007, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, SWA A+, SPG Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by edlin303
Has anyone tried with an Intercontinental hotel? I booked one night next week and since it is a websaver fare I assumed I would get my PC points. Has anyone experienced it either way? The PC points are more important to me right now, so I'll only do the one night out of many upcoming stays if I don't get IC points or night credits for the stay x promo.

*EDIT* I called the hotel and they said the rate did qualify for points. I am still testing with one night, but this should be a nice bonus.
As an update, not only did it show as a non-qualifying stay despite two confirmations from local hotel employees, but they completely mangled my reservation.

I got a receipt under my door for the one night, and it was for a much smaller amount ($30 less). This is not good for business expenses. Once I got home from the trip, I found that they actually charged my card for that amount. So now I have paid twice and gotten no points. The hotel claims they are going to credit the $ to my card, but I still have a receipt that will leave me with $30 out of pocket for 700 miles. A pretty expensive lesson to avoid iDine for hotels I guess.

*as a side-note, the reservation was for a queen smoking, and I called the hotel and was moved to a non-smoking. This might have caused some of the issues, but it is not clear yet.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
My one and only hotel experience through i-Dine was with a Marriott a couple of years ago and the hotel refused to give me points or stay credits.

Are there any hotel chains where it makes sense to book through i-Dine, i.e. you will get hotel points/stay credit plus miles?
Old Dec 20, 2007, 8:58 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
I decided to book our recent stay at the Holiday Inn Key Largo thru RN. It cost about $5-10 more than thru Travelocity (both prepaid rates), but I got 2029 AA miles (as opposed to 4080 PC pts = 816 mi). Had no trouble with the reservation - called right after making it to attach my PC number and also on the day of travel, just to reconfirm, and all was fine. As one might have guessed, this came out in my PC account as a non-qualifying stay, but I did get points for food purchases.

Bottom line, it's a tradeoff between increased miles and slightly increased hassles/restrictions. You have to actually remember to book thru RN. OTOH, the miles post directly, without having to accumulate enough hotel points to convert (assuming miles are your thing).
Old Dec 24, 2007, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
I use IDine for hotel reservations when it makes sense:

I've got an upcoming trip where I need to stay at a Best Western for 3 nights. If I use the Best Western program I get 250 AA miles for the stay. Through IDine I get 1335 AA miles.

Some times I have to book rooms for others and with IDine I get the miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.