Search

Luxury Hotel/Resort in India Himalayas?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2007, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM; SPG PLAT/Ambassador
Luxury Hotel/Resort in India Himalayas?

SSIA

I'm in the very beginning stages of planning my next award point funded vacation. We are thinking Northern India summer 2008.

First question - are there any 4 or 5 star resorts in the Himalaya region of India? If so, could I get some recommendations.

Also, any pointers on best gateway city, sidetrips, etc., would be most appreciated. Ideally I'd like to take DL's new JFK-BOM route. How would one recommend getting from BOM to the Himalaya region?

I realize I could also post this in TravelBuzz or India forums, but I'm really more interested in any luxury properties than anything else - so i'm going to leave it in here for now.

Thanks a million.

Last edited by zedthedeadpoet; Mar 3, 2007 at 4:55 pm Reason: typo...
Old Mar 3, 2007, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
Originally Posted by zedthedeadpoet
SSIA

I'm in the very beginning stages of planning my next award point funded vacation. We are thinking Northern India summer 2008.

First question - are there any 4 or 5 star resorts in the Himalaya region of India? If so, could I get some recommendations.

Also, any pointers on best gateway city, sidetrips, etc., would be most appreciated. Ideally I'd like to take DL's new JFK-BOM route. How would one recommend getting from BOM to the Himalaya region?

I realize I could also post this in TravelBuzz or India forums, but I'm really more interested in any luxury properties than anything else - so i'm going to leave it in here for now.

Thanks a million.
Go to the Wildflower Hall, run by the Oberoi Hotel group, a fantastic resort.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 6:56 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

How about all those Amanresorts in Bhutan? Not India, of course, but still in the Himalayas.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oberoi Cecil and Uma Paro might be good backups to the above

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 3, 2007 at 8:16 pm
Old Mar 4, 2007, 7:33 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
One property is called Ananda - In The Himalayas located in Uttaranchal, India. The room rates are inclusive of morning wake up tea, scheduled yoga or meditation classes, scheduled hiking trips in the Himalayan foothills, use of wet spa areas like sauna, steam bath, jacuzzi, complimentary use of gym and swimming pool. The Virtuoso amenities are:
  • Upgrade to a Deluxe Valley View Room from Palace View Room at time of booking, subject to availability (not valid on other categories)
  • Daily full breakfast for two at the restaurant
  • Complimentary transfer to the banks of Ganges River for an evening Arti ceremony, once during stay
  • 12 Noon early check-in, subject to availability
  • 4 PM late check-out, subject to availability
  • Complimentary parking for duration of stay
Summer rates are very reasonable: $320 for a Palace View double, upgraded at booking to a valley view double. Suites start at $585.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dh01
Go to the Wildflower Hall, run by the Oberoi Hotel group, a fantastic resort.
Yeah I would back that suggestion!

Its a fantastic spa resort set in around 100 acres (cant remember exactly) they have quite a few activities, from Yoga, water rafting, trekking to horse riding. But summer temp can still touch 30c during the days and hover around 15-20c at night. So don't expect to go up-hill to get away from the Indian summers.

Although from BOM you will have to get a connection to Chandigarh (2hrs flight on Jet, Indus air or via DEL on IA) then from there it will be a 3-4 hr drive up-hill to Wildflower hall which is past the busy city of Shimla. There is the highest golf course in the world (i was lead to believe but I don't think i believe that!!! Can anyone back that up) which is just 40 mins drive from the hotel.

But to be honest with you there will not be much around other then that. I think this resort targets people from North India who want a quick escape from the cities. Coming from as far away as USA might be a let down for you. I live around 4 hrs drive from this resort and haven't had a chance to go there yet.

But one thing for sure is that this hotel is run by one of the finest hoteliers in the world (the Oberoi group) so service, food and accomodation will be of 5* standards.

Last edited by onlysuites; Mar 10, 2007 at 3:06 am
Old Aug 3, 2007, 12:32 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Just a brief update to the suggestions of Wildflower Hall. I am currently staying there. The hotel is fantastic, but remember the monsoon if you are thinking about a summer vacation. This is the third day of heavy cloud and rain. . . and at this altitude (8000 ft +) you are in the cloud, so you don't see anything.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Just a brief update to the suggestions of Wildflower Hall. I am currently staying there. The hotel is fantastic, but remember the monsoon if you are thinking about a summer vacation. This is the third day of heavy cloud and rain. . . and at this altitude (8000 ft +) you are in the cloud, so you don't see anything.
You tempt me! That weather sounds perfect! I am around 3 hrs drive from Wildflower hall but it is 40c and no rain here!

How is the food at the hotel?
Old Aug 9, 2007, 7:19 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by lallyr
You tempt me! That weather sounds perfect! I am around 3 hrs drive from Wildflower hall but it is 40c and no rain here!

How is the food at the hotel?
I certainly can understand why you are tempted. The temperature was lovely up at Wildflower Hall. The food at the hotel is quite good with reasonable executions of both Western and Indian food. Note that the Indians in the group I was with also seemed satisfied, so it isn't just my western tastes making that judgment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.