Wiki Posts
Search

Exit Row seating and who shopuldnt be allowed to sit there

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2007, 1:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Exit Row seating and who shopuldnt be allowed to sit there

I was on a flight yesterday where the person by the window (I had the aisle on a 3 seat row) was barely able to get into her seat due to her being so thin,Not. The guy in the window seat on the other side was no better off.

I asked the FA and he said he must ask those seating in the row 3 questions and if they answer Yes to all 3 then thats the end of it. Of cause there are FAA regs such as being at least 15 that have to be followed. But no way were either of these people gonna be able to get the window Opened and get out of the plane in a timely manner, they were huffing and puffing just trying to get into their seats. He did say that if a person asks for a seat belt extension then they must reseat that person into another row. I think the FAA needs to rethink this. Im happy we didnt need to use the emergency exit but no way if we did were everyone going to get out with these 2 at the windows.

Then there were 2 attractive women too, that were in the E Row in front of me, when they got on they asked if someone could place their Carry-ons in the over-head as they had just suffered thru some stomach virus and didnt have the strength to lift them. I spoke with the FA again and was told again even if he had heard them say that as long as they answered him and they did Yes to all 3 of his questions about sitting in that row, he had to let them.

When we landed I thanked them for having put the other passengers at possible risk . They said they would have had no problem with the window. I said hows that You said you didnt have the strength to put your carry-ons in the over head. So when were you not telling the truth now with the window, or when you got on and said you didnt have the strength to lift your bags.1 said we werent sick we just didnt want to lift the bags, with that 1 of the guys who lifted them said, you can get them down on your own. Then she said to me , theres 'Nothing wrong with a Man being a Gentleman for a Lady', I said for a Lady maybe but that leaves the 2 of you out of it, and everyone laughed as they became red-faced. I said if its really that heavy simply next time Check-it.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 4:35 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Seems like the checkin and gate areas should have demo setups:

Two or three rows of seats with overhead compartments and an exit door. Made from old airplane interior parts that were replaced.

Then passengers can:

a. Test their carryons under the seat and in the overhead (including lifting them to the overhead).

b. Test themselves in the seats (with armrests down).

c. Test their strength with the exit door.

Checkin agents and gate agents can ask everyone who is assigned an exit row to test his/her strength with the exit door.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 6:34 pm

Programs: DL PM and some other junk I hardly use...
Originally Posted by tjl

Two or three rows of seats with overhead compartments and an exit door. Made from old airplane interior parts that were replaced.

Then passengers can:

a. Test their carryons under the seat and in the overhead (including lifting them to the overhead).

Checkin agents and gate agents can ask everyone who is assigned an exit row to test his/her strength with the exit door.

I'll back that. Not for any other reason except that it'd be like watching a live episode of Double Dare every time I flew.

I'm all for free entertainment at the expense of others.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 6:39 pm

Do people disregard the part of the door that says it weighs 40 pounds (which is more than anyone's carryon should weigh).
Old Mar 1, 2007, 7:03 pm

Programs: AC, AA, DL, UA
Originally Posted by craz
So when were you not telling the truth now with the window, or when you got on and said you didnt have the strength to lift your bags.1 said we werent sick we just didnt want to lift the bags, with that 1 of the guys who lifted them said, you can get them down on your own. Then she said to me , theres 'Nothing wrong with a Man being a Gentleman for a Lady', I said for a Lady maybe but that leaves the 2 of you out of it, and everyone laughed as they became red-faced.
^
Old Mar 2, 2007, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by tjl

Then passengers can:

I like this concept! Good idea but I wonder what would happen if someone "failed" on the strength test...or either of the other two test suggestions you made?
Old Mar 2, 2007, 10:26 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by 747LWW
I like this concept! Good idea but I wonder what would happen if someone "failed" on the strength test...or either of the other two test suggestions you made?
Gate agents and checkin agents can ask the passengers to do the tests as needed. Examples:

Passenger intends to carry on an item that may be too large. Checkin agent has the passenger test fit the item under the seat and/or in the overhead. If it does not fit, or does not fit under the seat and the passenger cannot lift it to the overhead, checkin agent asks the passenger to check the item.

Passenger is large and may have trouble sitting in one seat. Checkin agent or gate agent has the passenger test fit himself/herself. If the passenger does not fit in one seat with the armrests down, passenger has to buy another seat (refunded if the flight is not full).

Passenger asks for or is assigned an exit row. Checkin agent or gate agent has the passenger test opening the exit door. If the passenger cannot do it, passenger is reassigned to a non-exit row.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 10:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Too many times, folks, including FAs, are too afraid to make a comment about the weight challenged because of negative repercussions.

But I do agree with the OP, and I've been in a similar situation where weight challenged folks -- and it honestly could got both ways (ever seen a 90 pound waif lift a 40 pound door) are a SAFETY THREAT to other passengers. Time to wake up and face reality FAA. Will it take a crash and accident reconstruction with injuries for them to see the possible consequences??

My 13 year old son would be better equipt to handle an emergency door. If they can check your age, why not your....
Old Mar 2, 2007, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Don't know about the US carriers, but on Air Canada....

In order to sit at exit seats:

1. Must be adult passengers, at least above the age of 18 I think.
2. Must be physically fit.
3. Must understand a command of English or French languages

Too many a times you see people who shouldn't be sitting there sitting there.. and troubles come around when the FAs ask that they move to another seat. It's almost always the ones with the bad back, bad leg, that wants to sit there.. and they're the ones who exactly shouldn't be sitting there!
Old Mar 3, 2007, 10:57 am

Many of the senior FA's look like they are just as unable to lift 40 pounds as some passengers. Since the door/window section is placed on the exit row seats, it would not be that difficult to manuvere it onto the seats but this is under the assumption that:

1)The plane is going to still be intact after crashing.
2)The plane is going to be in a crash that you can survive.
3)The plane will survive a water landing and still float--most would sink like a rock.

If the airlines really wanted to increase safety, they would:
a)have all of the seats rear facing.
b)Only have solo passengers between the ages of 18 and 50 sit in exit rows.
c)Not allow exit row passengers to drink or take sleeping pills while in flight.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 11:17 am

I think this is a consequence of flying being such a routine mode of travel. People have no concept of the conditions they would be placed in should there be an emergency, and it's a personal attack should you ask them to consider the safety of others and perhaps be inconvenienced in the process.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 11:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by craz
He did say that if a person asks for a seat belt extension then they must reseat that person into another row.
Therefore, the seat belts shouldn't the seat belts be modified (shortened) so that extremely obese people need to ask for an extension.

The FAA could unscientifically determine what's the minimum weight of a person who can usually lift 40 lbs. They don't need to spend a million dollars to do this. Just arbitrarily pick a number and test it among FAA employees. I would guess 125 lbs.

Just ask 3 more additional questions:
Do you weight at least 125 lbs?
Do you agree not to drink alcohol or take sleeping pills during the flight?
Do you feel able to make sound safety judgements and lead an evacuation if necessary?
Old Mar 3, 2007, 12:12 pm

Programs: AF-PC; UA Plat ; QA Gold; Etihad Gold ; EK Silver; HH Diamond; Accor Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat; Mov G
I really feel the issue of no alcohol is much more important. Has anyone ever seen this enforced for those in an exit row?
Old Mar 4, 2007, 4:46 pm
AGS

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, AAdvantage Platinum
There should only be one rule for sitting in the exit row: minimum height 6' 6". (I'm 6' 7")

AGS
Old Mar 5, 2007, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL (NW) Silver, UA (CO), AA, AC
I've experienced the proverbial little old ladies as well as once someone under the age. We passengers shouldn't have to enforce it.

I also wish the airlines would be able to keep note of frequent fliers who are suitable for exit row seating. I know they say that an agent must be able to see if on that day you are capable but short of being on crutches, I don't see it as a problem. Sometimes NW will assing them as I'm elite there but never CO. I have found, however, that when you check in for an outbound flight, the agent will assign an exit row for your return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.