Wiki Posts
Search

A proposal regarding ongoing posts needed for CC access

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2007, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, BA silver
A proposal regarding ongoing posts needed for CC access

Randy instituted what I consider to be a great policy that in order to have access to CC (Coupon Connection) one has to have been member of, and contributed to, the community for some time.

I believe this policy can be improved.

More precisely, I noted that quite a few CC posters have been members for several years yet have only about 100 posts. In other words, once they got access to CC they stopped posting on miles&points and contributing to the community, while they kept taking advantage of CC. I think this goes contrary to the spirit of the policy.

I propose that, upon being granted access to CC, members need a certain number of counting posts every year so that access to CC is preserved. The precise number can be discussed or set up by Randy.

I'm not sure this is within the scope of TB, but in any case this looks like a good place to gather opinions, since ORP doesn't seem to be very active lately.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 7:26 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by iwillflytheworld
I propose that, upon being granted access to CC, members need a certain number of counting posts every year so that access to CC is preserved. The precise number can be discussed or set up by Randy.
In theory this sounds good.

The problem is that it's difficult, if not impossible, to force members to make quality posts.

So the "counting" posts might be nothing more than "I agree", "^ ^" or ""

As tempting as it sounds, I don't think we can legislate how a member contributes to FT.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 9:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Out of curiosity, how does one access Coupon Connection. I have the requirements for it (I think!) - although not yet for OMNI. I see a link for OMNI, but not CC....?
Old Feb 8, 2007, 9:59 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
Out of curiosity, how does one access Coupon Connection. I have the requirements for it (I think!) - although not yet for OMNI. I see a link for OMNI, but not CC....?
http://flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=373

SmilingBoy.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 10:04 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by SmilingBoy

Thanks SmilingBoy! (Of course, it gives me the same error as OMNI. Q&A says 90 days and 90 posts for CC amd 180 days and 180 posts for OMNI. Have the 90+90, as of today - maybe it just takes the system a while to update....?)
Old Feb 8, 2007, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, BA silver
Originally Posted by Cholula

The problem is that it's difficult, if not impossible, to force members to make quality posts.

As tempting as it sounds, I don't think we can legislate how a member contributes to FT.
I agree post-padding is an issue, but IMHO a small one. The change I propose would deal with a relatively small number of people (those who start off strong on FT but then stay just for CC). I don't think it would be too hard to catch most instances of post-padding and deal with them, if the number of required annual posts is high enough.

This is certainly not fool-proof, but then the current requirements are not fool-proof either. However, they are quite useful. My proposal would just give a higher degree of certainty, not 100% but higher, that CC is restricted to active members of the community.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by Cholula

I agree.

Old Feb 8, 2007, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure that the solution you suggest is the best possible solution - however, I agree that there's some concern since those FTers are following the letter of the law, but not the spirit of the law.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 3:52 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
The policy seems fair to me. I think it would only be a problem if there are a large number of members violating the spirit of the rule.

Also, having people participate in CC does add value in and of itself. Now CC members that don't post and also don't add any value from coupon trading might be a different story.

[Removed by moderator due to board rules about trade solicitations]

Traveler

Last edited by Moderator2; Feb 9, 2007 at 6:44 pm
Old Feb 10, 2007, 2:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by iwillflytheworld
I agree post-padding is an issue, but IMHO a small one. The change I propose would deal with a relatively small number of people (those who start off strong on FT but then stay just for CC).
I don't follow -- what is wrong with this?

We don't object if someone joins FT and restricts himself to the DL Forum, Travel Safety/Security, or HHonors. What is the problem if he likes only CC?
Old Feb 10, 2007, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
This was Randy's call and one I agreed fully with.

When you contribute a little to FT some little 'surprises' come your way as an earned 'thank you' for your contributions. I think the ground rules change slightly now and again for entry access, just so it is not predictable.

I think the current system is just fine, and can't seem myself voting to change it - and I stress that is not on the horizon at all right now.

My advice for members is to just post to FT, learn a lot, and add to the points and miles discussions, and little bennies may come your way along the path. Whether it takes you 3 weeks to 3 years to earn those bennies.

Try and get too clever and post pad to get there, and some vigilant mod will very likely notice it, remove all your post count and possibly suspend or discipline you.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Dovster

We don't object if someone joins FT and restricts himself to the DL Forum, Travel Safety/Security, or HHonors. What is the problem if he likes only CC?
Or, *GASP*, OMNI?

Way too much hand-wringing about participating in "miles and points" forums, as always. As I've said before, without the "other" forums, such as CC, TS&S, TravelBuzz!, and *GASP* OMNI, who would come here every day?

I fly one airline and stay at one hotel chain. I already know what I need to know about these two programs, so (using me as an example) what's my incentive to come here more than, say, once a week, to see if I've missed any promos, etc.

It would be nice to think I'd come just to help newbies, etc., but that's not how the world works. I'm happy to help out if I'm already there. And when I come to check things out in the other forums, it's so easy to click NW or Marriott and look to see what's new and ask/answer a question or two.

We come for the miles and points and stay for the community. Why we're here and why we stay here is thought about way too much.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 9:45 am
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Dovster

If there is a justification for restricting initial access to CC, then the same concerns should apply going forward. FWIW, whenever I offer something on CC, a substantial portion of trade offers (usually the low-ball variety) come from exactly the type of posters described by OP.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 7:23 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Originally Posted by cactuspete
If there is a justification for restricting initial access to CC, then the same concerns should apply going forward. FWIW, whenever I offer something on CC, a substantial portion of trade offers (usually the low-ball variety) come from exactly the type of posters described by OP.
I would hope that members would look at member contributions before trading with them....

While I have only given stuff away there... coupons, CR-1s and SWUs, I have looked at contributions members have made to Flyertalk. Does not mean I do not give a coupon to a newbie... but I do refraim if I believe they are just here for Coupon Connection.

While I do agree with some participation in other forums before being granted access to Coupon Connection, there is a point where members have to "self monitor"... and I believe that is appropriate.

I do not want to see moderators having to decide what is a quality post... and deleting those that are not... I can only imagine how many posts on FT on a daily basis are simply ^ @:-) or Ditto....
Old Feb 12, 2007, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.