Wiki Posts
Search

Arizona/ Utah Desert DO 2008 - April 17-21

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2007, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Arizona/ Utah Desert DO 2008 - April 17-21

I'm trying to gauge interest in a Northern Arizona/Southern Utah DO in April 2008. The advance notice is to allow those interested time to arrange flights and hopefully to avoid too much DO overlap. The dates were picked as the weather is generally very good this time of year and for one other reason - the entire trip will happen during a full (or mostly full) moon, providing for a unique opportunity - moonlight photography and hiking. For photos of most of these locations, see post 3.

The itinerary (rough - subject to significant change at this point):

Thursday, April 17
Arrive PHX airport by 3pm (those arriving earlier can visit Taliesin West, the Heard Museum, the Desert Botanical Gardens, etc.)
Sedona Area (w/ visit to Red Rock Crossing State Park)
Shopping at Talaqapaque (optional)
Drive to Grand Canyon National Park
Moonlight Hiking and Photography at the Grand Canyon (optional)

Friday, April 18
Grand Canyon (sunrise hike - optional)
Monument Valley (w/ stop in Cameron)
Arches National Park/Moab (w/ stop at Newspaper Rock along the way)
Moonlight Hiking and Photography in Arches National Park (optional - amazing!)

Saturday, April 19
Arches National Park (sunrise - optional)
Canyonlands National Park
Capitol Reef National Park
Escalante-Grand Staircase National Monument
Bryce Canyon National Park
Moonlight Hiking and Photography (optional - guided and extremely limited space)

Sunday, April 20
Bryce Canyon National Park (sunrise - highly recommended!)
Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park
Upper Antelope Canyon
Horseshoe Bend
Return to Phoenix (international departures would likely overnight until Monday)

Alternatively:
Bryce Canyon National Park (morning)
Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park
Coyote Buttes (requires 4-wheel drive - maximum of 6/10 people)
Lee's Ferry

Those wishing to spend more time exploring could join or depart the itinerary at any point and/or could easily detour on the 20th or 21st to continue exploring the area.

If you're into photography, hiking, stargazing (despite the moon), or visiting beautiful desert locales, this is a great DO for you! A wonderful opportunity to see some beautiful places in a unique setting with good weather and few tourists...

A quick note on hiking: Most hikes are level and a few hundred meters or less in length. Some locations allow for multiple hikes of varying degrees of difficulty - up to several kilometers and with an elevation change of several hundred feet. In all cases, there are are plenty of flat and level paths to walk on and places to sit if you prefer not to hike.

Last edited by vysean; Feb 5, 2008 at 1:07 am
Old Feb 2, 2007, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Hotels, Transport, Food, Weather, What to Pack, etc.

Hotels for most of the trip will be local or unaffiliated hotels - Best Westerns are relatively common, and a periodic Holiday Inn can be found. I'm estimating total costs in the $500-$600 range for hotels (4 nights, single-occupancy), food (lunch, dinner), admissions (National Parks, Navajo Tribal Parks, National Monuments, State Parks), and ground transport (car rental and gasoline). Obviously these prices depend on the number of attendees.

Domestic air service to Phoenix is very good/frequent (US Airways jokes aside). International air service to Phoenix is limited to one BA flight to/from London per day plus one or more Air Canada and AeroMexico flights per day. International attendees would be best served by flying into LAX, SFO, or LAS and connecting on to PHX. Alternatively, one could rent a car in LAX (5-6 hour drive) or LAS (3-4 hour drive) and drive to PHX, Sedona, or the Grand Canyon.

Ground transport will be determined by the number of attendees. There are no mass-transit options for our destinations and with us traveling approximately 1,500 miles (2,400km) in four or five days, comfort is important - so 15-passenger vans are out.

Weather averages in the high 60s to mid 70s (19-25 celsius), with less than an inch of percipitation. Because of significant altitude changes (from 1000' to 9000' - 300 to 2750 meters), you will be most comfortable if you pack a range of clothing, from shorts and t-shirts to long pants and sweatshirts. Rain gear might be a good idea just in case. Lows at the high elevations can drop below freezing, and nearby areas will be snow-covered until late June.

You need nothing special for hiking - just a comfortable and sturdy pair of shoes or boots, a backpack to hold water and snacks, hiking poles if you like, and a hat and sunscreen. Binoculars may come in handy, as would a flashlight. If you plan on significant night photography, you'll want a tripod.

For the photography buffs, there are two decent-sized camera stores in Phoenix near the airport that will rent everything from point-and-shoot cameras to professional DSLR bodies and lenses. If you want to leave your bulky tripod at home, rest assured you should have little difficulty renting one for the trip. Camera bodies and lenses can be rented for a reasonable price. There are plenty of electronics stores in Phoenix should you wish to top-up on memory cards, tapes, batteries, etc.

Last edited by vysean; Feb 2, 2007 at 2:00 am
Old Feb 2, 2007, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Photos

reserved for future use
Old Feb 2, 2007, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Attendee List

Confirmed Attendees: (or at least as confirmed as one can be 11 months out...)

aviationkiwi

Unconfirmed But Interested Attendees:

GrizShel
GoingAway
skye1
flygirl555
SchmutzigMSP
uva185
BondAir007
nor4
gfowler-ord-1k
sy7
birdstrike + 1
aztimm
tmartazu
IceTrojan
jan_az
MRKEY
tlglenn
cpx
FatManInNYC
Jim_F
CPRich
glex50
boxo
dcstudent+1
sudeip
Abby
DullesJason

Cannot Attend:

chrissxb
szg
Brendan

Last edited by vysean; Feb 12, 2008 at 8:56 pm Reason: updated attendee list 2/12/08
Old Feb 2, 2007, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
thats the week after the 4th edition of FlyerTalk Tour de France - RHE 'Champagne' DO 2008

Since I host this DO - I can't attend two DOs within a week.

I always wanted to see the desert, so .... put me as a strong maybe if you'd change it to Feb14th to 17th. In any case, don't hesitate to contact me if you need any help about organizing FT DOs
Old Feb 2, 2007, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chrissxb
thats the week after the 4th edition of FlyerTalk Tour de France - RHE 'Champagne' DO 2008

Since I host this DO - I can't attend two DOs within a week.

I always wanted to see the desert, so .... put me as a strong maybe if you'd change it to Feb14th to 17th. In any case, don't hesitate to contact me if you need any help about organizing FT DOs
Ahhh, but what better way to unwind after the stress of DO hosting than a nice hike in the desert under a full moon?

Feb. 14th-17th wouldn't be close enough to a full moon to work, however March 20-24 is a possibility.

Thanks for the offer - I will be taking you up on that...
Old Feb 2, 2007, 5:21 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Sounds like alot of fun. Would like to go to some of this if scheduling permits (and I can get alot of EQM miles out of the trip! ).
Old Feb 2, 2007, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Hike and scenery all sound good, that "sunrise" part might be a struggle. Put me down as a maybe .... not sure of the calendar yet, although I do wish this was posted before the low PHX UA fare went *poof*

Just noticed the title is 2008 is that correct?
Old Feb 2, 2007, 7:38 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
The scenery sounds awesome...have been to a few of those places and would love to go again. Hard to get beyond all the ___ on my plate w/ work at the moment to think as far as 2008 yet, 'tho.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 7:46 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Excellent

Count me in. I'll be there. 2008 Calendar gets a jump start.

Lately I've been traveling a lot to PHX/Arizona and would like to see more than just Scottsdale.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 7:52 am

Programs: DL
Absolutely interested! Please add me to the "maybe" list...2008 seems far, far away...I think I just mastered entering 2007 on checks I write...
Old Feb 2, 2007, 9:32 am

I'm interested. Although as others said, 2008 is a bit far off for me to plan right now. Also, not sure I could be free for the weekend plus Thurs, Fri, and Mon. Perhaps an alternative schedule for people that can only make it a 3-day weekend?
Old Feb 2, 2007, 9:39 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Well I am very interested but I can't commit for April 2007 much less 2008. If my schedule allows it I would most likely only be able to attend Friday - Sunday.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 10:49 pm

Programs: DM-(DL)/CO/AA/US/ RW (Road Warrior)
Hmm, (clearing my calendar for 2008) ...as if right now I am a maybe.

The Rolling Do's 2008 Tour.

"The lifestyles of the Jet-Sets and Do's. Drinks, chat, eat and sight seeing trips."

BondAir
Old Feb 4, 2007, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the quick and interested responses!

Yes, this is for 2008. It might have been better to set it up for 2007, but I figured I'd need a lot of time to plan things out... plus I like to procrastinate... a lot... I've also got a big Alaska trip in March (DO opportunity?) and relatives coming in April for a trip to New Mexico which makes this a little unrealistic for 2007.

In response to the concerns over trip length - I'm going to see what can be done about shortening the trip to three days without cutting too much. If others are still interested in the original itinerary, I can make sure there's a clean break so those who only have three days can still make it work.

The major problem is driving - from the PHX airport to the AZ/UT border is roughly a six hour drive assuming we drive the speed limit and don't stop too often. There are no major airports in the area - only commuter/feeder airports with unreasonably expensive airfares. FLG is the nearest airport with scheduled air service. When you figure at least 12 hours driving and a need to eat and sleep, our time is somewhat limited. That, coupled with the need for slack time around the start and end of our trip to accomodate flight schedules and delays leaves little time for any actual DO...

One thought is to split the trip and do 1/2 in 2008 and one half in 2009 - perhaps northern Arizona in 2008 and southern Utah in 2009?

I'll update once I've come up with some options - we have plenty of time to decide since airfares won't be bookable for another three and a half months.

If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, or must-visit places, I'd love to hear them...

Thanks!

Sean

Last edited by vysean; Feb 5, 2007 at 10:43 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.