Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotel Deals
Reload this Page >

$.01 Cent rate booked at Scotsman, EDI through Expedia, what to expect?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; SPG GLD; Hilton GLD

Yesterday evening we were looking at hotels in Scotland for a trip there in April. Suddenly, Expedia and Hotels.com (US not UK version) began displaying $.01 rates for several hotels in Edinburgh. As we weren't even able to price the hotel we'd been looking at, we grabbed up 2 $.01 rooms at the Scotsman - usually £200+/night, especially as these were junior suites.
Afterwards, expedia went down, but I still got an e-mail confirmation and it still showed as booked once I was able to login this morning. My credit card however, has not been charged.
Are we actually going to get these rooms? If we actually do, what should we expect at the hotel? No big deal if it falls through as we were planning the trip either way.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:49 am
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
You're talking Scotland. I don't see them giving you a £200 room for a penny. Fercryinoutloud, they charge to use the public toilets over there!

Don't expect to get the rate.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 2:14 am

Is it still around???
Old Jan 24, 2007, 2:22 am
Original Poster

only lasted about 10-15 minutes before expedia came down. Was about to post it before it went away.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 2:42 am

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HH DIAMOND, IHG PLAT, RYANAIR NO OTHER OPTION FLYER
check the long thread on expedia and a similar problem at the tokyo and osaka hiltons. most bookings were dishonored without any gesture - shame on expedia. you may be lucky though if it was just you.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 5:06 am

Programs: Falconflyer Gold
Expedia don't even look after their customers who pay the full price so you have as much chance as Jade Goody winning Miss India 2007.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well I'll say that if not many of you found and made these bookings you might be in with a chance.

If the booking is in the near future (i.e. within the next month) you're also more likely to get this honoured than a booking that is months away.

But you never know, and you can never tell with these things.

Don't give up the goose until its been plucked, trussed, cooked and left lying around in its own juices long enough to be a hotbed for salmonella. And even then wait until a Vet has come around to give a final certificate.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 9:48 am

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.
Originally Posted by LapLap
Well I'll say that if not many of you found and made these bookings you might be in with a chance.

If the booking is in the near future (i.e. within the next month) you're also more likely to get this honoured than a booking that is months away.

But you never know, and you can never tell with these things.
Well said

Originally Posted by LapLap
Don't give up the goose until its been plucked, trussed, cooked and left lying around in its own juices long enough to be a hotbed for salmonella. And even then wait until a Vet has come around to give a final certificate.
Too funny ^
Old Jan 24, 2007, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Its not until early April, so I might be SOL. I'm not sure if I should call Expedia or the Hotel at some point to confirm, but I'm at least waiting until I get the final confirmation itinerary and the charge shows up on my cc.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 3:18 pm

Programs: Continental One Pass
Yesterday, I also made a $0.01 cent reservation for a London hotel on Expedia. I actually made two reservations after deciding to stay at a different hotel. This morning, I canceled the first reservation (and kept the other reservation). Without my consent, Expedia canceled both reservations.

I've contacted them about restoring my reservation (the one I never canceled). Expedia called me back and said that they are investigating. They told me that they do not yet have any directive as to how to handle this, but that they will get back to me within a week. The Expedia representative indicated that they may, in fact, honor the reservation at the price for which I booked it, and as such, they told me not to make a new reservation at this point. I'm hopeful they do the right thing.

I will keep you posted.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you mintwax!

Plenty of us will be looking forward to your updates!

And a warm welcome to the Hotel Deals forum!
Old Jan 24, 2007, 5:15 pm

Confirmed

I booked the Hilton in London for 4 nights for 4 cents. Contacted Hilton and they replied my reservation was confirmed. Then I contacted Expedia and pointed out the error. They reassured me my reservation was "prepaid." I'm still not sure what will happen but for now if appears my reservation is intact. Got a few theatre tickets for free too

Last edited by RideThe22A; Jan 25, 2007 at 4:03 am
Old Jan 24, 2007, 6:23 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVPG, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP
Just called and e-mailed to reconfirm my $.03, 3-night stay in London. They assured both verbally and in writing that my itinerary is pre-paid and active.

We'll see!
Old Jan 25, 2007, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Just wrote in to confirm mine as well as the charge had shown up on my Amex (I didn't specifically mention the mistake). Got right back to me to tell me that the Scotsman had already confirmed!! We'll be booking a refundable hotel and might contact the Scotsman to confirm with them as well - I assume we'll get the same answer though.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 7:38 am

Programs: Continental One Pass
Still canceled

I'm glad to see everyone still has their reservation. They still canceled mine without my consent. I had two reservations and asked them to cancel one. Without telling me, they canceled both. Ugh!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.