Four hours in KIX (Osaka)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four hours in KIX (Osaka)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2007, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Question Four hours in KIX (Osaka)

I have a 4+ hour layover in Osaka on my way back to the U.S. from mainland Asia. Any recommendations for how to spend it? Is it enough time to duck into part of the city and explore?

I move quickly, but I will have to store my carryons somewhere (lockers?).

Would love to hear some suggestions.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 10:05 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Hope our friends in the FT Japan Forum will help you.
Please follow this thread there.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jan 15, 2007, 12:23 am
Community Director Emerita

I think four hours is too tight to be able to take the train or bus to anywhere scenic. I've been in Osaka twice the past few months. Of course it depends on the destination, but often busses run once an hour to the major hotels. The train runs every 30 minutes to Kyoto (which is 70 minutes away). There are interesting sights in Osaka - the Castle, the Observatory, the Aquarium - but 4 hours simply doesn't allow enough time to wait for transportation, then the transit time, sightseeing time, and return to the airport.

(Yes, there is a luggage storage area at the airport.)
Old Jan 15, 2007, 2:23 am

Programs: NH-PLT, NW-S, AC/UA/US/JL plain, Hertz#1G
There's a 3-hour transit tour, right for you.

http://www.kansai-airport.or.jp/news...age/3htour.pdf

Shopping mall tour requires only 3 hours, whereas castle tour requires 5 hours transit time.
You may want to save time by through-checking in your carryon at your origin, if your schedule permits to fly ANA -> United.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 5:29 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
There are coin operated lockers. (From 300 to 600 yen per calendar day - depending on size) in the land-side area. (Floor 2 or 3 IIRC).

4 hours is barely worth going landside for.Consider that it may take 30 mins+ to clear immigration and customs. And you will need to get back there to clear immigration and security at least 1hr before ETD. That consumes at least 90 minutes of your precious time. Factor in another 15 min to get change and sort out a coin locker... I reckon you have 2 hrs and 15 min to play with (assuming you arrive on time and move fast).

OPTIONS:
Shopping mall amd outlet center just across the bridge. No local flavour - Frequent bus link.

Inunaki onsen ( Hot spring) - I'd take a cab rather than faffing around with public transport for this.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 1:29 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
The 3 hour transit tour is your best bet. Otherwise, with only 4 hours, I don't think it is worth it to exit the airport. Have you ever been to KIX? There are lots of shops, stores and restaurants to explore there. You might find enough to keep you busy without leaving.

JR
Old Jan 15, 2007, 3:26 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United 1mm, AA 1mm
4 hours is super tight....

I would find a day lounge and take a nap if I were you.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Thanks for the advice. It sounds like I won't have enough time to do anything really worthwhile. I've never been to KIX before, so maybe I can dink around the airport for a few hours. Hit up the *A lounges, etc. Thanks.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 5:29 pm

Programs: NH-PLT, NW-S, AC/UA/US/JL plain, Hertz#1G
Originally Posted by fumanku
I would find a day lounge and take a nap if I were you.
I also would recommend this unless you're really explorer-minded. Take a nap before flight and stay awake all the way on board, to adjust yourself to American time zone.
Shop around in the airport, and grab some sushi for nice inflight dinner (You may want to pre-arrange fruit plate meal as dessert). Check-in early, then rest. Airline lounge (Asuka) is nice enough if you have access (i.e. *A-1K/RCC/WC), they have free Wi-Fi, drink, newspaper, and confy sofa. Otherwise head for Transit Lounge where you can take a shower at JPY600/30min, and take a nap at jpy1000/2hrs.
http://www.kansai-airport.or.jp/en/s...lax/index.html

There's also free internet PC and free-ethernet desk on the airside waiting area.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gura
Airline lounge (Asuka) is nice enough if you have access (i.e. *A-1K/RCC/WC), they have free Wi-Fi, drink, newspaper, and confy sofa. Otherwise head for Transit Lounge where you can take a shower at JPY600/30min, and take a nap at jpy1000/2hrs.
http://www.kansai-airport.or.jp/en/s...lax/index.html

There's also free internet PC and free-ethernet desk on the airside waiting area.
The NH lounges(Club ANA/Signet) are much nicer and are also *A....
Old Jan 16, 2007, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by jib71
There are coin operated lockers. (From 300 to 600 yen per calendar day - depending on size) in the land-side area. (Floor 2 or 3 IIRC).

Yes, on the second floor (domestic departures) near the escalators between the sets of check-in counters near where you go into the departure area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.