Wiki Posts
Search

Duty Free Great Buys list?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2007, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Bronze, DL Plat UA, HHonors Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt
Duty Free Great Buys list?

I'm not really sure where to post this, so I'll throw it in here and see what people think. There's a thread about JW Blue on the AA list that got me thinking. Very often, I don't purchase much at duty free and my various allowances go unused entering different countries. I'd be interested in a list of different 'amazing deals' that people notice at various airports.

I'm typically a scotch drinker, so I will compare scotch prices and if I see a great deal, I'll buy something, but more often than not, carrying it is not worth the cost difference. However, I'd bet that most airports have something worth buying (or even stocking up on). If you're a vodka drinker, have you seen a great vodka at a low price recently somewhere? Is your cologne priced incredibly low at one particular airport?

Would this be an interesting thread? wiki? forum? etc...
Old Jan 13, 2007, 12:57 pm

Most duty free isnt a bargain. You might save a couple of bucks but by the time you add in the hastle of carrying to and fro...is it really a savings? With that being said, Grand Cayman and Montego Bay have the best overall prices on most alcohol. I can buy a liter of Capt Morgans or Appleton for about $8 US. Cancun prices seem to flucuate based on how heavy the tourist season is. Most of Europe really isnt a bargain, but Eur-Asia and some Asian countries can have deals.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 1:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
When I saw the thread title, I immediately thought: Johnnie Walker Blue Label for ~$115-$120 is pretty dang good!
I guess some of the fragrances are OK. I don't keep up with expensive watches and whatnot, so I have no idea of those prices are good, bad or otherwise.
I wish there were wine in the duty-free catalogs.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 1:57 pm

Single malts in SIN duty free shops seem like good buys. (I purchase for clients so limited references.)

I paid about $45 Singapore for a bottle this past week(do not remember the apparent name brand but recall it was stated to be 12 years old).

I am anxious to learn if this is a good value.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
I really can never tell if it's a good deal or not. At JFK the only thing that looks cheap (compared to NYC prices) is tobacco.
I was using Clinique Shave cream and it was the same price as at Macys, just no tax.
Vodka is cheaper at my local store.
This is the Tri state area. YMMV
Old Jan 13, 2007, 2:29 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Duty free prices vary a lot by airport (even within the same country). The mix of pax using an airport really affects the duty-free prices, even for identical items. So it really is supply and demand at work to set the prices, and cost from the distributor has little to do with it. Most duty free is not a bargain and often costs more than regular stores.

Within the US the best duty free prices are at ORD and BOS. Often as much as 20% cheaper than LAX or JFK for example. Elsewhere in the world HKG is good for some things (and excellent selection). BKK is quite cheap (esp. for cigarettes and liquor). AKL is also great (and has a 10-20% discount coupon in many airline magazines). DXB has a reputation for being the best duty free shopping in the world, but I find it more expensive than HKG and BKK or even SIN for comparable products. DXB does have a lot of specialty items, like Iranian caviar and cheap gold jewelry (some good, some bad). NRT is very expensive. LHR is also expensive but has maybe the best selection (some items at LHR are double the ORD price, for example).
Old Jan 13, 2007, 3:23 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I'm not aware of any great buys, but Duty Free still provides solid value on some items.

Alcohol nowadays is too much of a hassle to warrant the savings, but I may still pick up a few bottles of premium stuff if I don't have to go through security again before reaching my destination.

Cigarettes are often a good value, and I like to bring a carton or two for friends -- I always enjoy having them comment on how the "French" Gauloises (which I picked up at PVG) taste different from the American Gauloises they buy at some specialty store for $7 a pack.

Chocolate is always a ripoff.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I agree with Hong Kong for good prices - KUL is another good spot. In the US, items such as Clinique are often the same price as downtown, just less the sales tax (which varies quite considerably... in Kentucky for example the tax is next to nothing and it is easier for me to buy it there than muck around duty free).

However - the biggest thing I have learnt is that tax/duty free certainly doesn't = profit free!! (I know that goes without saying, but in the good ol' days duty free shops used to give you a bit of a discount over and above just local/national tax).

London duty free for example is very very expensive - two or three times the price of the US. Compared to local prices you save a lot (the VAT is 17.5%), but often, that is the only dicount you get. Compare a carton of smokes at London (GBP27) to the same carton in Cairo (yes - both made in Germany) - GBP7, and in the US - GBP14. Someone, somewhere is making one huge profit (read London )

Regards

L/M/E FF
Old Jan 13, 2007, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Indian Railways Wallah Program
Of all places DEL had a decent deal on a Johnny Walker gift set - 4 250mL bottles of Black, Gold, Green and Blue for $80
Old Jan 13, 2007, 4:42 pm
In memoriam

It depends on where you live and where you are going. If you live in California you can do better at Trader Joe's, California being a very low tax state for booze. Guess if you were going to Sweden it might be a different story.

IMHO, the so-called duty-free shops at airports these days are useful only for using up the last few Euros or whatever before you leave the country. There are no really worthwhile deals there. Add in the schlepping and it is really not worth the trouble, except for Euro (or whatever)-burning
Old Jan 13, 2007, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jwillett13
With that being said, Grand Cayman and Montego Bay have the best overall prices on most alcohol. I can buy a liter of Capt Morgans or Appleton for about $8 US.
GCM is as cheap as I've seen which is ironic given the island itself is pricey. I'm also a rum drinker so like to stock up on the 18 year old Appleton when there.

Brazil's duty free stores offer good value on liquor with the added bonus you can also buy on arrival. I usually buy 7 year old Havana Club (US$13.50) and during the year they were offering it and a bottle of the 3 year old for $20. Fragrances are IME 20-25% cheaper than the duty free at Irish airports. The following website enables you to price items before you leave.http://www.dutyfreedufry.com.br/DutyFree/
This company operates at GRU. A different company (BRASIF) operates at GIG but prices/special offers are the same IME.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 6:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Last time thru GRU I got 200 Marlboro for 12 Real or about $6. Never bought them that cheap anywhere else I can remember.

SIN is good for some high end watch brands. Going thru a couple of weeks ago I had the time to bargain a Breitling down to the equivalent of £1400 against the London price of £2600. As a guide the best I could get in town was at Cortina Watches for £1800 + 5% tax (you can claim that back).

and no, I didn't buy, that'll be next time.... when I'm a bit more flush !
Old Jan 13, 2007, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore
Last time thru GRU I got 200 Marlboro for 12 Real or about $6. Never bought them that cheap anywhere else I can remember.
I don't smoke but I bought 200 Marlboro Lights at GRU last week for a friend. They cost US$18 (quite a saving when in Ireland they're about €7 for 20). Wrt cigarettes it may actually be cheaper to buy them in Brasil as IIRC they're about R$3 for 20.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 7:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Hmm... It was during the Grand Prix, so maybe Marlboro had a special on. It did seem ridiculously cheap at the time and I didn't look at the price of other brands.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 7:56 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
When I fly to/through London, I can usually get a decent price on the really large Toblerone bars. They have a buy 2 get 1 free deal, and their price starts out cheaper than I can buy it in the states (assuming I can even find the really large bars.) BTW, its for my kids they love the white chocolate Toblerone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.