Wiki Posts
Search

Using RCC at ORD for a Business Meeting

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2007, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
Using RCC at ORD for a Business Meeting

I searched through a couple threads about RCC access but I didn't find an answer to my specific question regarding RCC access.

On Thursday I will fly to ORD on UA from DCA or IAD (i.e. domestic ticket, full-fare Y so I can change the departure in case my meeting runs over). I will meet someone who is flying America West LAS-ORD. I am a *G on SK, and I don't think he has status.

We'll both arrive into ORD at around the same time (2pm), and we need to meet for a few hours. We don't need a proper conference room -- just a table to put a laptop on, and internet access. If all goes smoothly, we will both depart back to our respective destinations that same evening, probably at 8pm.

I see I can rent a conference room at an RCC at ORD for $60-75/hour, but I think we can get things done just as easily in the regular section of an RCC, as long as there's a table, wifi, and an electrical outlet.

Would we be able to get RCC access on arrival? Here are the options I see:

1. RCC access because of my *G and flight departing later that day. However, I don't know if this will be allowed as I will probably be booked on a flight to depart quite a bit later in the day, like 6 hours later. In addition, my "guest" will not be on the same flight as me, and not even on UA. Could I buy same-day RCC access for him, like some type of day pass?

2. Rent the conference room for 1 hour, and adjourn to the RCC after 1 hour for further discussions. This depends on if they allow conference room users to use the RCC. I have not been to the RCCs at ORD so I'm unfamilar with the setup there.

3. Use some other facility at the airport, like a quiet restaurant, assuming there is wifi.

4. Rent a hotel room or conference room at a hotel based at ORD. I did a quick search and found a few nearby for $100/night.

I'm thinking #1 is not a sure thing as I read on some other threads that the enforcement of access policies are inconsistent. #2 might be the best option, assuming we can hang around in the RCC after an hour or two in the conference room.

Any suggestions? I apologize for my unfamiliarity with RCCs and UA policies, but I fly mostly on SK and OV (Estonian Air) and most of the lounges I spend time in are independent lounges contracted to third-parties, so it's a bit different.

Thanks,
Justin
Old Jan 2, 2007, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
You're in the SAS Program and your status is *G, right? If you fly a *A carrier, then you'd have access with one guest on the day of flight (time is irrelevant, e.g. 6 hours later). The key is to stay behind security for your friend when he switches terminals to get to you and I don't know anything about that ...
Old Jan 2, 2007, 4:37 pm

Location: AA Gold/Million Miler,DL dirt,UA1K/Million Miler;Honors Silver,Marriott Gold;Avis Preferred,Hertz Prez Circle, Nat'l Exec Elite
no problem to meet up and stay airside. America West is in Terminal 2 which has a RCC, but is small and I don't think they have any conference facilities to rent. The Rcc's in B and C concourses of Terminal 1 are your best bet. After deplaning from AWest he can take the shuttle bus from E-2b to C-9 and walk up to the C concourse RCC next to C-16. Their service center is 800-822-5827, or www.united.com/redcarpetclub. I would guess you would have room in the regular club area to do what you want without renting a conference room.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 5:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Unless jfidler is a RCC member I don't see how he will have access to the any RCC at ORD without a day pass or someone sponsoring him.

He is travelling on UA domestic (WAS-ORD). According to the rules:
"Only available to Star Gold traveling on a same-day international ticket."

The OP needs a RCC membership, a day pass or a member to guest him in.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by JeffS
Unless jfidler is a RCC member I don't see how he will have access to the any RCC at ORD without a day pass or someone sponsoring him.

But the OP is *G on SK (which is an int'l airline) so In the OPs case he will be flying intl because he is *G on an intl carier and he is in another country (he is in the USA not Denmark) So he should have access. It honestly depends on the RCC matron.

Ben
Old Jan 2, 2007, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JeffS

True if he was a UA/US *G, but he's an international *A member; no international ticket required.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
Thanks for all the prompt replies, though some have made me confused even further. If FTers (who are experts in these matters) are not entirely sure, then I suspect the lounge matrons will be even more confused

If I understand things correctly, then:

1. I get into the RCC because I am *G from a non-USA carrier.
2. I will need to show my return flight ticket (ORD-WAS) for entry
3. My guest will be allowed entry, despite not being *G, and not flying with me, because he is my guest.

SK's site has this: "Departing EuroBonus Gold members holding a same-day outward ticket on a scheduled flight with a Star Alliance airline have privileged access to lounges operated by Star Alliance partner airlines and other SAS EuroBonus partner lounges. They are also entitled to bring one guest." (Eurobonus Gold = SAS's name for *G membership level).

I'm not quite sure what "privileged access" means. Since it doesn't define what a guest is, I guess that means they do not need to be traveling on the same itinerary.

Justin
Old Jan 2, 2007, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
According to *A rules, you are allowed entry with one guest. Your guest must be traveling on a *A flight but it can be a different flight. In my experience, domestic RCCs rarely or never look at the boarding pass of the guest or ask any questions. After presenting my credentials, I just say "This gentlemen is my guest." They will need your boarding pass to enter into the system, but will not need anything from your guest.

Charles
Old Jan 2, 2007, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
You should definitely be able to get into the RCC based on your Star Gold status. Whether the guest is on a Star flight is probably irrelevant because they never check guests with me if I bring them in. However, if your matron is incompetent and you argue with her, then she might check your guest if she sees the complete rules. Luckily, you do have 6 hours in ORD so any arguing probably won't cost you that much wasted meeting time. Lastly, ORD WIFI exists but there is a charge. I don't think it's free in teh RCC either although the RCC should be a T-Mobile hot spot
Old Jan 2, 2007, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Don't think he can get in, unless he is outbound on an international ticket. Check the chart here

International ticket only from what I see.

In addition, from the *A site regarding guests:

Guests must enter the lounges with an eligible Star Alliance Gold member and must depart on a Star Alliance member airline, but may travel on a different flight.

Last edited by flyinbob; Jan 2, 2007 at 9:03 pm
Old Jan 2, 2007, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA 1P /Starwood Gold/Hyatt Plat/UA RCC
I am not sure about having a meeting in the Chicago RCC’s public areas especially if you need to make any kind of presentation. They are very busy and depending on the time of day seating can be difficult. The Hilton is connected to the airport and getting a room might be your best bet.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 9:01 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by flyinbob
Don't think he can get in, unless he is outbound on an international ticket. Check the chart here

International ticket only from what I see.
That restriction is only for UA *G and US *G.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 9:30 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I'd recommend using the RCC on the B Concourse between Gates B6 & B7. This is the larger of two RCCs on the B Concourse. Avoid the RCC near B18 -- it's very small and not conducive for mtgs plus it's out of the way for both of you. Your friend can come from his gate (America West is now USAirways which operates from Gates F8 & F10) without going thru any additional security. He will need to continually bear left at each opportunity until he gets to the B Concourse where he'll turn right and proceed to the RCC.

Use the following link to display a map of ORD which clearly shows the locations mentioned above:

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1113,00.html
Old Jan 2, 2007, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jfidler
If I understand things correctly, then:

1. I get into the RCC because I am *G from a non-USA carrier.
2. I will need to show my return flight ticket (ORD-WAS) for entry
3. My guest will be allowed entry, despite not being *G, and not flying with me, because he is my guest.
For #2 - you need a bp for a flight that day on a *A ticket, the direction shouldn't matter

Originally Posted by jfidler
I'm not quite sure what "privileged access" means. Since it doesn't define what a guest is, I guess that means they do not need to be traveling on the same itinerary.
Entering the RCC is less of a privilege than entering other clubs, but I think it just means you get access. Your guest certainly does not need to be on your itinerary, as others mentioned they have never checked a guests bp IME or theirs, so even their carrier shouldn't matter (and if it does, you are okay as america west = usairways = a *A partner)
Old Jan 3, 2007, 4:53 am
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Benny8444
But the OP is *G on SK (which is an int'l airline) so In the OPs case he will be flying intl because he is *G on an intl carier and he is in another country (he is in the USA not Denmark) So he should have access. It honestly depends on the RCC matron.
Originally Posted by GoingAway
True if he was a UA/US *G, but he's an international *A member; no international ticket required.
Both are incorrect interpretations of the rule which clearly states "Only available to Star Gold traveling on a same-day international ticket". The OP states he is flying IAD or DCA-ORD so he won't be flying on an international carrier for that route. And that negates the second as the OP is travelling on a domestic ticket. Again, no access unless he is a *Gold travelling on a same-day international ticket.

If anyone on a domestic itinerary receieved access to a RCC with just a *Gold card from any Star Alliance carrier then they were lucky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.