Wiki Posts
Search

Qualifying point calculation question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2007, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond
Qualifying point calculation question

Recently flew DEN-DFW-LGW. Upgraded from coach (K class) to Business using evips. After reading many posts on here I expected to get 644 points for DEN to DFW and 4771 points for DFW to LGW (a total of 5415 points). However I ended up getting 8,123 points for this journey. Now I'm not complaining, just confused. The DEN-DFW showed up as F class in my mileage post (k, that would be 1.5x points) and my DFW to LGW showed up as Y Class.

Bottom line, I thought evips meant you would only earn points based on the original class of service bought, however if that is the case, why did I get 1.5x points instead of 1.0x for each mile flown?

Thanks,
Old Jan 2, 2007, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler
I couldn't be sure, but AA had a promotion where you get double miles when you fly through DFW. This could have something to do with it...if you signed up for the promotion that is.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
I could be very wrong here - and I hope others will correct me if I am, but I also (once) received the higher QPT on an upgrade award. At the time, I just assumed an "upgrade award" resulting in a ticket re-issue, such as 'Y' to 'C' or 'A', using either miles or evips gives the pts as if originally ticketed that way, as a new ticket was issued. The sticky (electronic - "X' or 'R') upgrades stick to the original class. But, just what I saw on my ONE mileage upgrade....
Old Jan 2, 2007, 3:18 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You received the Q points in error. It happens from time to time. It has nothing to do with registering for a promotion. The OPs description of how one earns EQPs, even when upgrading, is 100% accurate.

This glitch happens when passengers are upgraded (via any of the AA UG instruments), but there is no predictable pattern as to when, how, and why the extra QP post.

It's been seen on non-stop flight, connections, VIPs, and stickers amd all combos thereof.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
Did you earn EQM at 1.5x? I thought Q's didn't earn EQM internationally, or is that only O's?
Old Jan 2, 2007, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by BrianV
Did you earn EQM at 1.5x? I thought Q's didn't earn EQM internationally, or is that only O's?
The OP didn't fly in Q.

Mike
Old Jan 2, 2007, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

1.5 points for each mile flown, but not in Q or O class...just talking Q points. You'd think AA would be more cognizant of this error and attempt to fix it...but I hope for the future they continue making this error on a consistent basis
Old Jan 2, 2007, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
Originally Posted by nako
The OP didn't fly in Q.

Mike
Oh I see that now, then what does the title of this thread have to do with what he said?

My questions are:

1) If you fly a Q flight from US to EU, you will NOT earn EQM/EQP or earn any regular miles, correct?
2) If you use a eVIP on a Q, the same would apply as above correct? Just like X.
3) If you fly a Q from say AUS to DFW, and a K from DFW to LHR, would you earn EQM on the domestic Q? It says only transatlantic flights not itineraries, but I don't believe everything I read on AA.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by aaflyer1
1.5 points for each mile flown, but not in Q or O class...just talking Q points. You'd think AA would be more cognizant of this error and attempt to fix it...but I hope for the future they continue making this error on a consistent basis
So on Q you don't earn EQM but earn EQP???
Old Jan 2, 2007, 3:32 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aaflyer1
You'd think AA would be more cognizant of this error and attempt to fix it...
What error? There's no errors here. shhhhhh
Old Jan 2, 2007, 3:32 pm

Oh I see that now, then what does the title of this thread have to do with what he said?
The OP's title has to do with the calculation of Q-points (or EQP, if you prefer), not points for Q class (which was not asked, and has zero to do with the original question).

Mike
Old Jan 2, 2007, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

If you're in Q class overseas you don't earn any miles. You also cannot upgrade most Q class tickets overseas. However I'm not in Q class I was in K class originally, and this is just related to EQM/EQP...nothing re: Q class.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 3:37 pm

Got it, lol, I feel stupid now.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 3:39 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So on Q you don't earn EQM but earn EQP???
Good lord.

( Deleted )
Old Jan 2, 2007, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by HNL
Good lord.

The EQM and EQP earning styles are clearly spelled out on www.aa.com

for fare classes that are eligible to earn miles (wich is the vast majority) a person earns BOTH EQM and EQP for the flight in accordance with the earning style of the fare code.

There are select fare classes - Q and O - that are non eligible for mileage acrual in select markets. se www.aa.com for the exact list.

The OP was never flying a Q fare to London.
Yeah we covered that, and I know the points earning for Q and O (as they are spelled out). I just got hung up on the title of the thread which wasn't mentioned, but for some reason I had it in mind when I was reading.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.