Search

Would they stop a puker from flying

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2006, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Would they stop a puker from flying

Last Sunday, I'm waiting for my BHM-ATL flight to arrive at the gate. The whole time, maybe an hour, some guy is leaned over a trash can, puking and spitting.

After boarding, I kept praying I wouldn't find him in the aisle seat next to me. I never saw him board, but he may have been in front of me (I was seated in the second coach row, so couldn't see much past the bulkhead).

It made me wonder. Surely the GAs saw him. Would he be denied boarding?
Old Dec 16, 2006, 8:30 pm

Programs: AC, AA, DL, UA
I think I would report this guy if I saw him getting on my flight ANYWHERE. Obviously something medical is going on and if the airline doesn't know about it, the consequences could cause others to get sick or the plane to be diverted.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 12:48 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
I remember WN didn't let one on-board. This was filmed on "Airline".
Old Dec 17, 2006, 3:24 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Even if it's not contagious, I could see that causing a "chain reaction" on a plane. I was once on a rental car shuttle at DFW when a passenger threw up- I ended up feeling queasy, too. Fortunately it was a short ride and I was fine once I got out into fresh air.

Yes, I'd hope they'd keep the person off the plane.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In a trash can!!!???!!! And the guy was there for an hour??

The poor, poor cleaners! They shouldn't have to deal with that!!

For a guy without the grace to use the bathroom for as long as possible I would have had no reservations about reporting him. People like him who show such inconsideration and lack of respect for others are the ones who do the best job of spreading diseases.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 10:41 am

Programs: CO Pt Infinite (1k life)/ 1MM - NW/DL Silver life/1 MM
I remember a NW flight a few years ago at Metro where boarding was delayed about 30 minutes as some woman was puking her guts out on the Jetway right outside the door. She was heaving LOUDLY, paramedics came, all that. I wanted to look but couldn't see around the corner.

Then there was the CO flight to IAH earlier this year that after trying to pick through a line of thunderstorms finally diverted. The ride was so bad that people in the back were puking all over. When we landed people came on in plastic suits to clean up. Yuk.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Whoever this was had no business flying! If he is that sick, he needs not to share his bugs with others.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
Whoever this was had no business flying! If he is that sick, he needs not to share his bugs with others.
Let's remember: People don't always throw up because of a contagious disease. Sometimes, it's a reaction to a medication. Or food poisoning.

Yes, if you're puking, best to do it as discreetly as possible. But for the rest of us, a little compassion is always a welcome reaction.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I was once "the guilty", but it was outside of security, pre-checkin, before a redeye, after a late afternoon of way too much happy hour topped off with a Jack-in-the-Box binge. (Ah, youth.) Someone came over to me, and I said "I just had Jack-in-the-Box." I didn't need to say anything else! I got a sympathy "ahhh", then checked in, and had a relaxing flight in a UA sleeper seat (ah those old double-upgrade days were great).

The thing is, you never know what makes someone puke, and sometimes it could be anything from bad food, to overindulging, to a virulent strain of something that will kill everyone.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I agree, you never know what it is that is making someone puke. I was even going to say it could be morning sickness, but, um, of course, you said this was a guy.

Seriously though, it could be nerves, hangover, chemo, who knows? I have to say I certainly wouldn't want to sit by him anyway, though.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
I had boarded a flight once, and was in my (aisle?) seat when someone in the aisle who was boarding suddenly puked. It was close to me. I think they got the carpet on the aisle in front of me but missed me.

I don't remember if that person stayed on the flight, but needless to say, our departure was delayed while someone came in to clean up the mess.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 5:48 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat, HH Diamond, Avis First, Hertz #1Gold
Originally Posted by carpboy
Then there was the CO flight to IAH earlier this year that after trying to pick through a line of thunderstorms finally diverted. The ride was so bad that people in the back were puking all over. When we landed people came on in plastic suits to clean up. Yuk.
Was that an ERJ? If so, I boarded after the clean-up, and the smell was still very strong.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 7:15 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by jeffthepeff
Let's remember: People don't always throw up because of a contagious disease. Sometimes, it's a reaction to a medication. Or food poisoning.
Sometimes, it is motion sickness. Which is presumably why they put little bags in the seat pockets.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 10:27 pm

Programs: CO Pt Infinite (1k life)/ 1MM - NW/DL Silver life/1 MM
Originally Posted by vassilipan
Was that an ERJ? If so, I boarded after the clean-up, and the smell was still very strong.
Nope, a 738, different puke-plane!
Old Dec 18, 2006, 12:26 pm

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by chamonix
I agree, you never know what it is that is making someone puke. ... it could be nerves, hangover, chemo, who knows? ...
It could've been that liquid explosive he had to drink when TSA challenged it and he told them it was baby formula!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.