Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

767-200s upgraded F and J cabins announced - consolidated thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2006, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold

American Airlines Makes $20 Million Investment in Aircraft Flying Transcontinental Routes

Boeing 767-200 Upgrade Includes Updated Seats, Interior, and Inflight Entertainment

FORT WORTH, Texas, Dec. 13 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- American Airlines today announced plans to invest $20 million in upgrades on its entire fleet of Boeing 767-200 aircraft. The upgrade includes updated First and Business Class seats, a lighter and brighter cabin interior, and new audio and video on-demand personal entertainment devices in First and Business Class. The upgrade also includes an additional First Class seat, increasing the number of First Class Seats from 9 to 10 on each aircraft.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/061213/daw009.html?.v=86

American Airlines announcement

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 10, 2007 at 10:57 am Reason: restore original post title, add AA URL
Old Dec 12, 2006, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Where is the new tenth seat going? No more "starship commander" solo section?

Does anyone know what kind of J/F seats will be installed? Some months ago people were speculating that the old J seats that are being removed on the 763's (to make way for the NGBC) might be installed in J or F on the 762's...could this be what is happening?

Too bad they're trying to extend the life of those airframes... They've definitely seen better days.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro - 1mm, Bonvoy Titanium
The article says "Upgraded, fully motorized seats in the First Class cabin"
The old (current) J seats weren't (aren't) motorized.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 10:34 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The 762s already have a version of the old J seat, just with limited recline (due to the reduced pitch). It would be nice if the old 777 coffins went into the 762s for F seats, but they won't fit. Maybe these will really be brand new seats, and not a recycle. It does sound like the DVD kits from the 763s will get recycled to the 762s, though.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
I wonder if the new J lounge access will be allowed for upgraders or full fare J? If so, I won't have to keep my AC membership as most of my travel is either transcon or int'l.

Last edited by RxCapt; Dec 12, 2006 at 10:49 pm Reason: Error
Old Dec 12, 2006, 10:51 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
J transcon pax access to AC.

Is there any further info or pics of the new JFK FL?
Old Dec 12, 2006, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; SPG GLD; Hilton GLD
Originally Posted by number_6
It does sound like the DVD kits from the 763s will get recycled to the 762s, though.
Looks like it might be the new 763 devices as the article mentions
The audio and video on demand system will feature movies, television programming, music, videos and news. (PRNewsFoto/American Airlines)
Old Dec 12, 2006, 11:12 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Thank God!

Redemption Booking;
I was so upset at having to use AA across the US as I couldn't get a seat all the way to JKF from SYD on Qantas ..whos J seating/service leaves AA's for dead! If I get a flat seat(mine is a 2330 dep from LAX to JFK) in J before Jul/Aug I'll be a "happy little Vegemite"(Aussie joke)

CJ

Last edited by Cedar Jet; Dec 12, 2006 at 11:23 pm
Old Dec 13, 2006, 12:13 am

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
I take this as an indication that AA is losing market share (at least of J/F pax) to UA's p.s. -- the upgrades are on exactly the routes where UA offers its p.s. service.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 12:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Too bad the "lighter and brighter" cabin interior doesn't appear to have the big bins (Boeing Signature Interior- ala 777 and new build 767s). Those bins, almost single-handedly, help make the cabin feel much larger than it really is.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 12:39 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Should be very interesting to see the 762s when they are refitted. I also assume they will probably be adding in the LCS screens to the ceiling that are currently being installed in the 763s and that all the 777s have that show the airshow during flight.

I bet that it is the coffins that are being installed up front in F and that the DVD players will be brought over from the 763s.

The new lounge info is great, though I am skeptical it will apply to R class upgrades.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 2:43 am

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
I'm really surprised AA is willing to make this kind of investment in 20+ year old aircraft. I figured they were headed for the desert.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 4:14 am

It will be interesting to see how long this takes to implement. Heck, AA announced the change over to all swivel seats from the coffins on the 777 years before it would be done. NGB was also announced long before anything happened.

Probably will be the same here. They might actually hit the dessert before they are retrofitted!
Old Dec 13, 2006, 4:18 am
Suspended

so 10 F seats means 2 rows of 2-1-2 - and the J cabin backs to the lav so no room to push the J seats back unless they take a row out.

Sounds like they might take the little bar/mantle below the movie screen out and create enough room to slip an extra F seat in the middle. Either way, doesn't sound like more space - just new seats and while not state of the art, the current F seats do have really good recline!
Old Dec 13, 2006, 5:19 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by EIPremier
I'm really surprised AA is willing to make this kind of investment in 20+ year old aircraft. I figured they were headed for the desert.
I'm not sure AA has much choice - there won't be any new widebody types arriving any time in the near future - what would they substitute in place of the 762s on these transcons? The 763s and 777s are needed for international and both are too much capacity for the 10 or 11 daily JFK-LAX (AA's strength there is on offering frequencies, not necessarily more seats). The 757s are the only other viable alternative, really, but with them giving up most of their ex-TW 757s in the next year or two, they would be short on those around the system anyway....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.