Wiki Posts
Search

Most Interesting US Airports

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2006, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus, Velocity Awards
Most Interesting US Airports

You've probably done this before, but I wasn't around then, so please bear with me.

On the many flights I have made to the US over the years, I have had to occupy myself for hours on end at some pretty boring airports. Tell me of some interesting airports with plenty of 'things to do' because the pickings have been very slim at the ones I've found myself in. Besides the usual things like wandering in and out of expensive shops, watching news/sports on a TV, or trying not to get too drunk in some bar, what else is there to do?

Last edited by cheap pacific fares; Dec 13, 2006 at 5:18 pm
Old Dec 12, 2006, 1:04 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
It's not in the US but HGL (Heligoland) has a nudist beach alongside the runway.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 1:16 am

Programs: ex AC SE100K now 75k :-( / Bonvoy Titanium / All Accor Gold/ Avis Presidents Club / National EE
That sounds interesting! haha... do they put blinders on the pilots!? I guess for an american airport ORD provides a decent cross section of things to do with some decent (maybe) places... lga is awful with everything before security... SEA is improving little by little, the United terminal at SFO is also decent. For north american airports i am somewhat partial to YVR, it has lot's of interesting food choices and some good shopping and is nice to look at in general (more so internation/USA terminal than domestic!) and the new terminal 1 at YYZ is great too! Lots of good shops that arent really overpriced and the AC MLL is a great place to relax if you are *A Gold! Anyways that is my two cents!

Happy Holidays and Happy Travels!
Old Dec 12, 2006, 2:23 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
LAS

You can occupy yourself for hours on the slot machines inside the airport.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Call me a geek but I could spend hours watching the jets taking off if there's a good enough vantage point.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
The most interesting airport in the US is LAS hands down. Can occupy your time during a long connection, and if you're not willing to go broke during your layover, you can always get on the free wifi and surf FT.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 6:59 am

It's easier for me to think of airports I really dislike than airports that are very interesting. I've never actually been inside the terminal at LAS, just stopped over on a BNA-BUR WN flight--but it's a scenic ride on the way in, and I have to take the word of those who say there's plenty to do while you're laying over there.

MKE used to have a cool used bookstore in the terminal, outside security--but I haven't been there since 2000, and I don't know if passengers' anxiety to get in line and get through the checkpoints has now killed their business.

BNA (my home airport) has some interesting rotating art exhibits on the walls airside, and live music (country of course) at various points during peak travel hours--helps keep one's mind off waiting in line. The food is not so great, however.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 7:23 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
While not the most interesting airport, Long Beach gives a flavor of time gone by with a quaint terminal. Unfortunately, AA gave up its JFK to Long Beach route, which was an excellent alternative to LAX. The restaurant has outdoor seating which is great when the weather is warm and boarding was done by stairs (AA had no jet bridges). Car rental facilities were right across the street and one could be from the a/c to his/her rental within ten minutes.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 9:48 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
"interesting Airports"

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
While not the most interesting airport, Long Beach gives a flavor of time gone by with a quaint terminal.
I used to fly in and out of Long Beach once a year and always enjoyed the place. Now, I'm in and out of BUR occasionally, and the Bob Hope is quaint, but workable and much easier than LAX (and interesting, too). For people-watching ATL's international end seems among the most interesting, replacing MIA, traditionally more weirdos per inch, but not very pleasant.

I've hated JFK since it was Idlewild, and Melbourne, FL doesn't have the direct service it once had (when NASA was king, and MCO just a dream). With a redeye from LAX thru HOU every morning, you rarely failed to see an recognizable astronaut, and I once had a cup of coffee sitting next to Werner Von Braun.

In the early 60s, Frankfurt Main was both the military and civilan gateway to Central Europe, and always an interesting place to see folks, especially if you were waiting transport and staying at the old Luftwaffe BOQ, de-N*zified by removing the big eagle over the door. Nothing could match Templehof for mystery and suspense (real or iamgined) during those years, although Yesilkoy at Istambul was packed with strange looking strangers speaking every sort of furrin language, mostly incomprehensible - and back then, English was not spoken by as many Turks as today.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by TMOliver
With a redeye from LAX thru HOU every morning, you rarely failed to see an recognizable astronaut, and I once had a cup of coffee sitting next to Werner Von Braun.
GET OUTTA HERE!!! REALLY?!? Oh, that is just too cool! Wow. I am molto impressed, TMOliver! Did y'all converse? Talk about someone you know must have had some amazing stories.

If I were really hungry, I could occupy myself quite nicely at AUS, first getting some BBQ from the Salt Lick and finishing that off with some Amy's ice cream!
Old Dec 12, 2006, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by iapetus
If I were really hungry, I could occupy myself quite nicely at AUS, first getting some BBQ from the Salt Lick and finishing that off with some Amy's ice cream!
And then behind the stairway leading up to the PC is a set of manned massage chairs.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 11:16 am

HNL.

The open air terminals let you take in the smells and weather of the islands on arrival or until departure.

It is old and dumpy at the moment, but a huge multi-year revamp is "hopefully" to begin.

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/s...tml?from_rss=1

Last edited by jtkauai; Dec 12, 2006 at 12:39 pm
Old Dec 12, 2006, 11:18 am

duplicate deleted
Old Dec 12, 2006, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk
LAS

You can occupy yourself for hours on the slot machines inside the airport.
There was a nice exhibit of airline memorabilia in the LAS terminal not too long ago.

Originally Posted by BNA_flyer
<SNIP> MKE used to have a cool used bookstore in the terminal, outside security--but I haven't been there since 2000, and I don't know if passengers' anxiety to get in line and get through the checkpoints has now killed their business.
Renaissance Books, it’s still there. Great shop!

MIA and FLL for its collection of old aircraft AKA Corrosion Corners back in the day. In the early 80s the oldest Lockheed Constellation was there, an 049.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by jtkauai
It is old and dumpy at the moment, but a huge multi-year revamp is about to begin.
Five years from now, if that. There have been plans to upgrade the airport in the past with failures.

If the plans do go through, however, I'll be impressed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.